HAL drops testing!

julia

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

@kathyRWEven though I will already be in Vancouver when the 2 day testing window opens up and I will do my test in my hotel, I am going to do a self-test (not proctored so not official) before I fly up.  If I should test positive, then there will be time to get retested officially before I fly and I can cancel if the positive is confirmed.

~Nancy

Not sure this idea will work.  As I understand the CURRENT rules for sailing out of Canada, you must show an official test result (not a self home test) before you can board.  Better check on this on the HAL website for yourself.

18 minutes ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

The  VeriFly app is used to upload test results

I know verifly is used to upload official proctored test results. Can you upload results taken with an at home test that no one but you have observed?  Wondering how you would show proof of when it was taken or even if it was your results and not from someone else. (Note:  I am referring to cruises from Australia here, not Canada)

Edited by Red Haired Lady

34 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I know verifly is used to upload official proctored test results. Can you upload results taken with an at home test that no one but you have observed?  Wondering how you would show proof of when it was taken or even if it was your results and not from someone else. (Note:  I am referring to cruises from Australia here, not Canada)

Can’t answer that question

14 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I suggest asking on one of the Australia specific forums.  Most of the responses on this thread are referring to the Canada cruises.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

14 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Not sure this idea will work.  As I understand the CURRENT rules for sailing out of Canada, you must show an official test result (not a self home test) before you can board.  Better check on this on the HAL website for yourself.

Hi, I guess it wasn't clear unless you had read my previous comments.  Yes, we need the proctored test for the pre-embarkation test 2 days before boarding in Vancouver.  I was just saying that I also will take my own nonofficial test at home for my own information before flying to YVR.  If I end up positive (I would need to officially confirm the self-test first for insurance purposes) then I can cancel the whole thing before flying to Canada and getting denied boarding and having to quarantine there!

Thanks for pointing out that it needed clarification @DaveOKC.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

23 minutes ago, happyglobetrotter said:

You should try yo convince all the passengers on quarantine on many HAL ships right now that the pandemic is over.... Variants are more and more contagious and some people still get sick from C all over the world. 

My wife was one of those on the Oosterdam last week, we are not ever going to be done with Covid.

2 hours ago, happyglobetrotter said:

You should try yo convince all the passengers on quarantine on many HAL ships right now that the pandemic is over.... Variants are more and more contagious and some people still get sick from C all over the world. 

AND, it doesn't matter if you have had COVID before,  vaccinated and boosted, you can still get it again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

My wife was one of those on the Oosterdam last week, we are not ever going to be done with Covid.

As much as everyone wants to be done with Covid, Covid is not done with us.  Even though it will remain with us, it does not mean that people should just throw in the towel and stop doing measures to protect themselves and others.  While deaths during active infections are down about 75% from peak (still more than twice that of a bad flu year), the long term impacts from infection, such as increased rates of strokes, cardiac events, clots, etc. are also making an impact.  

Guess it all depends if people are willing to accept the 2 year drop in longevity in the US compared to pre-Covid. (78.86 pre-Covid to 76.60 in 2021) Though the drop might make Social Security happier.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:11 PM, kathyRW said:

I'll need to check again but I live outside of Sacramento, not in town. The last cruise I tried to find rapid proctored testing, none of our local Walgreens/CVS offered it. Only the "up to 2 days" results type, which is cutting it too close since we fly in before the cruise date. I had to drive 45 miles R/T to find a clinic that did rapid testing and it was $100pp. So really a major problem.

We used OnPoint Testing prior to the cruise we are currently on.  I brought the free government-issued test kits and purchased the proctored testing from OnPoint @ $18.04/pp (includes the 5% discount code). Once you have purchased the testing you will be able to choose a date and time.  A very friendly and professional healthcare tech walked us through the instructions and emailed the results within a couple of minutes of the completion of the process.  Our appointment time began at 10:15pm and we had our results at 10:28pm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

We used OnPoint Testing prior to the cruise we are currently on.  I brought the free government-issued test kits and purchased the proctored testing from OnPoint @ $18.04/pp (includes the 5% discount code). Once you have purchased the testing you will be able to choose a date and time.  A very friendly and professional healthcare tech walked us through the instructions and emailed the results within a couple of minutes of the completion of the process.  Our appointment time began at 10:15pm and we had our results at 10:28pm.

Thank you... I did decide to use Onpoint Virtual testing. It was the only reasonable cost and I won't have to drive all over trying to find an in-person test site. I just hope it will go smoothly. Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, kathyRW said:

Thank you... I did decide to use Onpoint Virtual testing. It was the only reasonable cost and I won't have to drive all over trying to find an in-person test site. I just hope it will go smoothly. Fingers crossed.

Give yourself at least an hour, pre-appointment time.  You will need to register each patient (up to 4 people per appointment time) and answer some questions.  You won’t need the full hour but it gives you leeway should you run into any speed bumps.

Thank you for the information about Onpoint Virtual Testing.  I have wondered about it as the cost was so much lower than others.

Can anyone answer a testing question for me:  We are on the Oosterdam out of Civitavecchia Italy on October 10th.  We do have a Greek itinerary but the latest Health and Safety Guidelines say that guests embarking in Greece are still required to test.  We are not embarking in Greece, but our itinerary includes Greece.  My husband and I are both fully vaccinated.  Will I need to test before embarking in Civitavecchia?

3 hours ago, pattychristiansen said:

Thank you for the information about Onpoint Virtual Testing.  I have wondered about it as the cost was so much lower than others.

Can anyone answer a testing question for me:  We are on the Oosterdam out of Civitavecchia Italy on October 10th.  We do have a Greek itinerary but the latest Health and Safety Guidelines say that guests embarking in Greece are still required to test.  We are not embarking in Greece, but our itinerary includes Greece.  My husband and I are both fully vaccinated.  Will I need to test before embarking in Civitavecchia?

No test according to my understanding. Your cruise is not listed as one requiring enhanced protocols.

We're on the same cruise (10/10) - it's true that our cruise is not listed, but the Oosterdam voyages of Oct. 22, both the Trieste to Barcelona and the Barcelona to FLL, are listed as requiring the "enhanced protocols."  This is what is confusing - I quote from the HAL website FAQs:

"Check the list to find out if your voyage is a cruise with Enhanced Protocols that includes more extensive health regulations. If your cruise is any part of an Enhanced Protocol itinerary, including back-to-back cruises or Collectors’ Voyages, the Enhanced Protocols apply. If your cruise is not listed, follow the simplified Standard Protocols."

I guess if you are just Rome to Trieste you are not required to test, but if you stay on??? So are we included because we are aboard the Trieste to Barcelona segment?  or are we not?  We are not doing the TransAt which is clearly marked out as requiring testing.  When I contacted HAL the representative was still giving information about the 16 day length being determinative so she wasn't even up to date on the Sept. 1 protocols, let alone Sept. 6.  So, if anyone has clarification on the Oct. 10 Rome to Barcelona, it would be appreciated.  And why is Greece still an issue?  Everything I've read says it's totally open - so if someone has information on that, it would be helpful.  Thanks!

On 9/5/2022 at 11:46 PM, Red Haired Lady said:

How do you give proof of the negative test to the cruise line? How do they know when it was taken?  Needs to be 48  hours prior to boarding.  I board the Noordam in Sydney in Nov. 

Honour system.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, tartanmom said:

It looks like proof of a negative test (for fully vaccinated passengers) prior to boarding for cruises longer then 14 days has been dropped. We sail Dec. 20, 16 nights on Zaandam and it isn't on the Enhanced list.

There seems to be much confusion about testing on cruises over 15 days. We are also on the sixteen day Zaandam cruise. The enhanced protocols document would leave you to believe that no testing is required on that cruise. Our HA PCC says otherwise, and sent us a document stating testing was still required on cruise over 15 days, contrary to what the ep doc says. We wont concern ourselves further until a month before the cruise.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 11:05 PM, pattychristiansen said:

We are not embarking in Greece, but our itinerary includes Greece.  My husband and I are both fully vaccinated.  Will I need to test before embarking in Civitavecchia?

I have not read HAL's guidelines in detail but several other cruise lines have made it clear that if your cruise is going to Greece, you must have a monitored COVID testing prior to boarding. 

I think you're being tripped up because your cruise seems to be a combination of two separate cruises. It could be (although it is not likely) that the ship will test you prior to the second leg. I wouldn't count on it and it would be difficult to get anyone at HAL to confirm, I think.  I would err on the side of caution and get a monitored test before you board in Civitavecchia.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:30 PM, Dizziedi said:

Honour system.

No.  All tests must be proctored by medical personnel.  eMed.com is one option.  You buy it before you fly and must call and they do a Facetime type of test (so apparently you must have a phone capable of that) and they watch you break the seal on the test and walk you through exactly how to perform the test.  Once complete, if you are negative, they send a QR code to you (and possibly an email also) stating that you had a negative, proctored test on X/X/XX at X pm (for example).  That can be uploaded to the apps requiring it.  You can also print or show on your phone as you get to embarkation, but having the app loaded seems to be much faster embarking according to what I've read.

23 minutes ago, RRFan said:

No.  All tests must be proctored by medical personnel.  eMed.com is one option.  You buy it before you fly and must call and they do a Facetime type of test (so apparently you must have a phone capable of that) and they watch you break the seal on the test and walk you through exactly how to perform the test.  Once complete, if you are negative, they send a QR code to you (and possibly an email also) stating that you had a negative, proctored test on X/X/XX at X pm (for example).  That can be uploaded to the apps requiring it.  You can also print or show on your phone as you get to embarkation, but having the app loaded seems to be much faster embarking according to what I've read.

I would suggest having a read of the new Sept 6th effecting changes… 

Some cruises are under an enhanced requirement (Canada, Australia) but those not covered by those requirements have the following requirements on testing (underlining mine):

• Unvaccinated guests are welcome with a self-administered COVID-19 test taken within 3 days of embarkation. 
  • Vaccinated guests will no longer have to test before boarding and only need to show proof of vaccination.

And just an FYI… HAL has made changes to their health documentation on Sept 1, Sept 6, Sept 8, and again today… it seems like they did not plan well the communication of the rollout of their new health protocols.

Edited by Djb4CC
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, julia said:

Respectfully.... many people are cruising RIGHT NOW and need to know the correct protocols.

If they're cruising RIGHT NOW, then they should already know the correct protocols, and if they don't, it's a little late to be asking about them at this point.