Inside Cabin, Brittania Class, QM2 Eastbound Transatlantic crossing review

terry&mike

Hello all, although we are only returned from our trip a couple of days and still catching up on life, I thought I should get something on the boards based on the recent conversation about no comments from Brittania passengers.  

A short bit about us, husband and I are 62 and 57, retired, live in the Sarasota/Bradenton area of Florida. We take 4-6 international trips per year, and travel by land and sea. We have visited more than 100 countries and have been on more than 40 cruises. We have cruised on many different lines from the small ships of Ponant and SeaDream to the larger ships of the mass market lines like Princess, and even a couple of goes on Carnival. Our favorite size ships tend to be the 700-ish passenger size ships of Azamara, Oceania. We have sailed in all types of cabins from Interior to Suites, with Balcony cabins tending to be our go-to.

We sailed the August 5-12, 2022, Eastbound crossing from NYC to Southampton, in an Interior cabin #5030 on the Queen Mary 2. This was our first Cunard sailing, and our first transatlantic sailing. This was part of a longer trip that had us start in Washington, DC to visit my Mother for her birthday. Continue on to NYC, then join the ship. We disembarked QM2 in Southampton on Aug. 12, and boarded the Island Princess in Southampton on the same day for a 16 night sailing visiting England, Ireland, Iceland and Greenland, returning to Southampton on August 28. A few days extra in England, and then back home to Florida.  

We showed up at the Red Hook pier in Brooklyn via Uber around 2:10p for boarding; we had a 2:45p time slot on our boarding passes. The line was long, but it moved along relatively quickly, and we were onboard in about 45 minutes.  We felt it was handled well, and things seemed organized. 

As I was becoming a bit "hangry", we proceeded directly to the buffet to grab something quick to eat. In the overload of boarding, being hungry, etc, I don't recall my impressions of the buffet, only that I loved the sleek and clean decor, and that it worked well for getting something to eat. We then went to our cabin, and found our 2 bags waiting. Our room attendant came by and introduced himself, and showed us the cabin amenities. We were very pleased with the cabin, although small and an interior, it felt cozy rather than claustrophobic.  The decor was lovely, with pale woods, and white linens dressed out in the standard blue and gold accessories.  The bed was a King, which was incredibly comfortable, some of the best sleep we've had at sea. There was one sitting chair with a small round table, and a desk chair at the desk area. I felt the storage to be above average for a small cabin, and had no problem placing our things about in an organized manner. There was a coffee/tea setup, which we used daily.  There was a full bottle of Pol Acker sparkling with 2 glasses chilling in the mini fridge.  The bathroom was small, but again, very good storage. There was a small shower stall with curtain, and Penhaligon's toiletries.  

We dined every night in the Brittania Dining Room, 6:00pm early seating, on the upper level to the left as you enter, at a table for 2.  We found the service to be excellent from both the waiter and the wine steward, always very attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, and found only 1 dinner to be "meh" with the others being very good to excellent.  We also dined in Brittania for most breakfasts and/or lunches, as we are not big fans of buffets. We were always able to find something on the menu that appealed to us. We purchased the 6 bottle wine package at $299, and enjoyed one bottle each night with our dinner, plus purchased a 7th bottle individually. We were happy with this choice, and found the wines on this package to be enjoyable. We dined one night at the Steakhouse, and found it worth every penny. A beautiful space with elevated service, and wonderful menu selection. We had pre-dinner cocktails a couple of nights in a couple of the different venues, and found the service very efficient, and the drinks made well. 

We loved the Queen Mary 2. More of an ocean liner feel than a cruise ship feel, we enjoyed the elegance of the decor in the public rooms, the art on display, the historical memorabilia of the Cunard line, and the high end finish outs. I took full advantage of the activities onboard including the Planetarium, an afternoon play, interesting lectures, and so on. I read every scrap of historical photo or fact posted from the lowest deck of the ship where the crew "High Street" is to the highest deck of the ship where the cabin doors and hall light fixtures are notably more posh. I expected to be bored at some point during the sailing, but was quite busy.  Hubby took a few naps, read, relaxed mostly. We attended afternoon tea together one day and loved it. Also walked some laps on the deck one day, and visited the gym on another day. A few nights we went to the shows after dinner and found them entertaining. 

Our theme nights were Red and Gold, and Roaring 20's. We brought along appropriate semi-formal wear for those evenings and were happy we did. The other evenings we wore clothing we would generally wear for a nice dinner out in Sarasota. In the day we wore casual to smart casual clothing. 

Our crossing was mostly uneventful, with one medical emergency during the middle of the night on Day 2 where a passenger had to be airlifted via helicopter off the ship and flown to Halifax.  

We enjoyed our sailing so much that as soon as we returned I booked us on a 14 night Canada and New England sailing for 2023 on the QM2. On this sailing we will be in a BB Balcony on Deck 11, as we think there will be some scenery that we will want to appreciate from our balcony.  We are also trying the later 7:45pm seating. 

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will try to answer them. 

• Like 21

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Thank you for your thoughtful and interesting report. Are you also going to post it on the reviews page, where it might counteract some very immoderate comments?

I'm usually just on the Boards, so hadn't thought of it, but I just went over and posted it to Reviews. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deck chair said:

Hi and thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and experiences.  Did you notice if the second sitting in Britannia was fixed or open?  I hope the former.

Deck Chair.

When we booked, it was quoted as 7:45pm, and that sounded like fixed, but while onboard I overheard someone complaining about guests coming in at 8:30pm to dine, so I am not sure. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, terry&mike said:

Some photos below of the Interior cabin, Britannia Restaurant, Red and Gold night menu. Please let me know if there are other photos you may be interested in and I may have them. 

Thanks for an interesting review and photos.  Do you have any pictures of when you had tea?

The over the head of the bed storage areas, I noticed, were present.  Have seen this concept on other ships (most over the sofa, if there is one--Celebrity and HAL).  How is one supposedly to make use of these, safely?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for an interesting review and photos.  Do you have any pictures of when you had tea?

The over the head of the bed storage areas, I noticed, were present.  Have seen this concept on other ships (most over the sofa, if there is one--Celebrity and HAL).  How is one supposedly to make use of these, safely?  

I will post photos from tea below. We attended an Afternoon Tea Dance, and although we did not dance we thoroughly enjoyed watching the dancing, and the music, as well as the tea. 

I didn't really need the extra storage, so put nothing in the over the bed storage cabinets. The only thing I placed up top is my travel purse, which you can see in the right cubby. I only use that while I am traveling (flying, transferring, etc) so no need to get to it often. I am 5'2" and I could lean up and place it in that cubby without effort. I think the 2 cabinets in the middle would be more difficult to access, so probably only good for something you don't need during the sailing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, schattenfell71 said:

Thanks for the report. We will do a TA on October 7 from NY to Hamburg, Germany.

Did you need a Covid test to go onboard in NY?

Greeting from Germany!

When we sailed on August 5, 2022, we needed a Covid test to board. I believe this has either changed, or is changing currently. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, schattenfell71 said:

Thanks for the report. We will do a TA on October 7 from NY to Hamburg, Germany.

Did you need a Covid test to go onboard in NY?

Greeting from Germany!

Need Antigen monitored proctored virtual test two days before to get a Travel Certificate of Negative Results. We are getting on in Brooklyn and need this.

• Like 1

I decided to add some information on a situation that we experienced. I did not add it earlier, because it really has nothing to do with the ship itself, but have decided it could impact a sailing.

On this journey, as I mentioned previously, we first flew to Washington, DC for a couple of days to celebrate my Mother's birthday. We had been in NYC recently, so didn't feel the need to spend much time there pre-cruise. We booked an afternoon flight for August 4, the day before the transatlantic sailing, DC-NY, direct 1.5 hours - should have been easy.

We spent the afternoon of August 4 at IAD Dulles Airport with continued flight delays and cancellations. We waited as the delays went from 2:30p to 3:15p, to 4:15p, then a crew time out and a cancelled flight. Then put on a 6:30p flight, which delayed several times up until 8:45p when United announced they would begin boarding in 10 minutes, and then a surprise when that flight was cancelled at 8:59p, and no other flights would go out that night. We were continually told it was weather, but we understand there are major staffing issues that are also in play.  We were put on an early flight for August 5. United could not retrieve our bags for the overnight because the "ramp was closed" meaning the luggage handlers were not delivering bags any longer.

No worries, we got a nearby hotel, grabbed a few hours sleep and a shower, and came back to the airport at 4:45a for our early flight. Just as we entered the airport, we were notified our flight was cancelled due to operational issues. United now telling us the soonest they can get us to NYC is 6:20p on August 5. I explained that would not work for our transatlantic sailing. It is the best they can do, so we cancel this booking altogether for a refund, and explore other options.

First, we have to wait for the Baggage Claim Desk to open at 5:30a and get our bags back. It was good that we had Apple Air Tags in both of our bags, as the rep could see exactly where they were and make one phone call and have them brought to us. We had our bags by 6:00a. We first thought to take an Uber, DC to NYC, and got a quote for $425, which worked. The guy pulled up and said "New York? No way." Cancelled the booking and left. We ordered again, but the price had gone up to $500, and no driver would accept the request. I'm also trying to call car services, which aren't open yet and not answering. 

I switch to looking at trains, and it appears 2 trains would work in our time frame. But we have to get across town to the train station in DC Friday morning traffic. Okay, only 1 train will actually work, and that price is ridiculous, but I'm ready to go for it. 

Hubby says he has decided to stop relying on everyone else to get us there, and he's renting a car and driving us there. He reserves a car online that can be picked up at 7:30a, and we get ourselves over to the car rental place to be the first in line. Of course, due to staffing shortages, they open 30 minutes late at 8:00a, but we get our car and add in all the options to speed our travel (pre-pay full tank of gas, toll meter). The only stop we make is around 10a at an interstate service center for a snack/coffee, as we are on little sleep and haven't eaten since yesterday early evening. As you can imagine, traffic is heavy on a Friday morning between DC and NY, but we make it to the car return in NY by 1:15p. Drop off car, Uber 50 minutes to Red Hook Pier, and get in line with Cunard at 2:10p. Rental car cost $299.51, Uber cost right around $50. 

I can honestly say that I have never been so happy to lay eyes on a cruise ship as when our Uber turned the corner into the parking lot of the Queen Mary 2. Phew. 

I should also mention that several passengers on board did not receive their luggage in time for the transatlantic crossing, which I imagine was problematic for them. 

• Like 7

Sounds horrendous and so glad you were able to make the ship.

Another example why booking flights with cruise is a good idea. If you hadn't been so resourceful, through no fault of your own, you would have missed the sailing.

We reckon cancelled self booked flights and it's our problem. Cancelled flights booked as part of our Cunard ticket and it's Cunard's.

Still wouldn't help if we missed a sailing but at least we would have been protected, money wise.

Your travel story is an important one and a lesson we should all heed. I'm hearing similar stories from friends. What if you had been in Denver or Chicago instead of Washington DC. The old adage of arriving at the embarkation port the day before departure may need updating to 2 or even 3 days before if traveling by air. I can't imagine how physically and emotionally stressful the whole ordeal must have been for the two of you. According to the US DOT, if United couldn't get you there on one of their flights they have committed to put you on another airline that could. They are exempted if it is weather causing the delays/cancellations but I don't recall all of the NYC airports being closed for 2 days during that time period. You might have a reasonable claim against United for the added travel costs. Here is the link to the DOT web site.

Jack

• Like 3

Hi and many thanks for your review and also post 21 detailing your frustrated (by others) attempts to get to NY in time. 😯

Well done on your resourcefulness and pleased to hear you had a good transatlantic crossing. Our first cruise on the QM2 also involved flying to New York but from the UK, we’d booked a fly/cruise package. So it was down to Cunard to get us there in time, which they did. 

Your photo reminds me of the cabin we had allocated, having made a late booking and therefore no choice. The cruise, in 2006 was also visiting New England states, Newfoundland and Canada, as far as Quebec. It was October, but great itinerary and hope that you enjoy yours in 2023. 

PS The only time we’ve ever had a problem with transatlantic flights / connecting ones was with United! 😕