Is the Celebrity App always this bad ?

lovescarborough

We have done lots of cruises with Celebrity but none over the last two years and have never used the app. I downloaded it to my phone and thought it would be interesting to see how it works ready for our next cruise in January. It made me laugh so much, I thought I would share it with you. 
First I clicked on Health, where the information on our upcoming cruise helpfully gives a link to the locator form we will need for entering Belgium at Zeebrugge. Okay, but actually this is a Caribbean cruise. Couldn’t see anything about the COVID testing or vaccination requirements but thankfully I already know these. 
Now click on the Calendar to see our 5 night dining package shows our first night speciality dining booked for 3pm ! Might not be quite ready for dinner by then. 
Finally I tried the Welcome Aboard link. Lots of information on how to get to Terminal 25 at Fort Lauderdale. The only problem is that we sail from Miami ! 
Funny yes, but is this the best that a multi million dollar company can produce ?

• Like 1

I think the app reflects what is current for your ship now. Dining hours and menus, show times are roughly accurate, but specifics may well change.

Doesnt do you a huge amount of good un til about 2 weeks before. Just wait until you do muster drill - the app is worth it for that!

• Like 2

I'm having the same reaction of unbelief.  We just did a Carnival cruise with the kids and grandkids and was thoroughly impressed with the Carnival app before and during the cruise.  I guess that I shouldn't be surprised that Celebrity's app is this way but I am disappointed after using such an intuitive and helpful app.  I was really hoping for more.

I have used the app with few if any problems.  Did checkin last week for our October cruise. For that cruise and our December cruise our excursions and dinner reservations are showing on our calendar the app as well as menus and wine lists for all of our bookings.
For cruises next sailings in April and October 2023 shore  excursion options are showing.  

5 hours ago, lovescarborough said:

Now click on the Calendar to see our 5 night dining package shows our first night speciality dining booked for 3pm ! Might not be quite ready for dinner by then.

That is normal and 'correct' at this stage, it is just a placeholder.

@lovescarboroughyour specialty dining package show at 3 on day 1 since you can’t actually make any reservations with the package until you board but in order to process a specialty dinner booking they need a day & time.  They won’t be ready for you at 3 on day 1 any more than you will be ready for dinner then. 

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

There is nothing wrong with the Celebrity App, as another poster said once you get close to your cruise, everything will work great.

Wish I could believe that. We sail in 7 days on Sept 10. Our app is useless.  Doesn’t show anything in our cruise planner.  I log into our account on the website and everything is there- all excursions, OBC, dining times, etc.  The app shows we are fully checked in and ready to sail, but that’s it.  Nothing else is showing.  Hopefully once we board, it will straighten up, or we won’t need it anyway.

25 minutes ago, thethreeofus said:

Wish I could believe that. We sail in 7 days on Sept 10. Our app is useless.  Doesn’t show anything in our cruise planner.  I log into our account on the website and everything is there- all excursions, OBC, dining times, etc.  The app shows we are fully checked in and ready to sail, but that’s it.  Nothing else is showing.  Hopefully once we board, it will straighten up, or we won’t need it anyway.

We sail on October 26 on Beyond.  The app shows everything I have booked and is working seemingly perfectly.  Last year on Apex, which had only been sailing a few months, it was much closer to the cruise before anything was shown.

4 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

There is nothing wrong with the Celebrity App, as another poster said once you get close to your cruise, everything will work great.

Yeah, don’t count on that. We’re scheduled to sail next weekend, checkin is competed and shows on the app but nothing else is displayed. Get a message that folio is unavailable and to contact Celebrity. Did that and was told that because Eclipse, our ship, hasn’t been fully revolutionized that the app doesn’t work properly…huh?? The rep said they’ve had many complaints re this, on our ship as well as Infinity. I’m hoping it works better once onboard but not holding out any hope.  I’ve got copies of our purchases for proof once onboard in case of any issues. Definitely frustrating and not sure why a company as large as Celebrity can’t get something this simple to work properly. 

58 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Hate to sound stupid, where is the refresh icon?

I just checked the app for our cruise next week on Equinox …the app shows lobster night on the last night of the cruise…which I know isn’t correct.

It’s not you…welcome to Celebrity IT. 

• Like 1

Ha Ha...sometimes it's worse!! Our cruise next week is such a mess on the app; but all of our future cruises look fine. I have signed out, deleted app, restarted device, re-installed app and signed back in...still looks goofy.  I'll just wait until I get onboard; I'm sure it will sort itself out in time!

I find the app pretty useless until about 45 days prior to the cruise when Online Checkin opens. 

Menus, itinerary details and Daily Planner are usually just place holders until about 1-2 weeks prior to the cruise.     All in All I enjoy it while on the ship and have done the safety briefing, booked dinner reservations and both booked and cancelled tours using it.    I do use it often to check menus. 

13 hours ago, thethreeofus said:

As said before - the app won't usually work correctly or at all until you are on board.

On Summit last month showed nothing until we boarded then pretty good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Agree, used it on the Reflection in April and the Edge in July. The App was perfect, check in was so easy and I had everything on my phone on the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Veinless said:

IT’s job isn’t to give a crap about people’s lobster dates. 

Well, whomever designed the app did include viewing the MDR menus on a daily basis.  I didn’t think it was asking too much for the menu listed on a specific day to actually be that day’s menu…instead of a possible one on any day.

And, as I mentioned, this is for a cruise next week.

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Still sounding stupid, I know where that icon is on Cruise Critic, or any other website, but how do you refresh the app?  I don’t see any such icon…

I seem to remember the refresh icon was not easy to find. I finally located it on the page headed Daily Planner... It took me ages to find it and I too felt stupid. Good luck.

• Thanks 1