Checking Time - Can u be late

john2003

What are you thinking,  that  they won’t let you board if you arrive later than your assigned time?  🤷‍♂️

The assigned time is the earliest.  Don’t sweat it.   Nothing to worry about.  

If you are in a suite you can board whenever you get there if boarding is open.  

Just be there before sail away.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Got my checkin time as 1:30-2:00. I remember when you just had to get to the port and not worry about an assigned time. Will they at least let you in the building if you arrive early? 

We are staying at a hotel with a park and cruise package and a shuttle to the port. Most likely have to check out of room by 11:00 and that is alot of time to kill until checkin. 

2 hours ago, Luvtoeat said:

We are staying at a hotel with a park and cruise package and a shuttle to the port. Most likely have to check out of room by 11:00 and that is alot of time to kill until checkin. 

Sounds very like us in the summer. 
Check out time from the hotel was 10 am and our taxi was booked for 10.45 with our embarkation time 11.30am.

Southampton was a nightmare on 30/07/22, 5 ships in port, the beginning of Cowes week and a train strike.

Our taxi was over 3 hours late picking us up, so it meant we didn’t embark until 2 pm.

The only thing that we couldn’t do on embarkation was to go to our room to pick up our key, we were sent straight to Muster.

8 hours ago, Luvtoeat said:

Got my checkin time as 1:30-2:00. I remember when you just had to get to the port and not worry about an assigned time. Will they at least let you in the building if you arrive early? 

I would suggest having a light leisurely lunch somewhere while the hotel holds your bags, then head over to the port closer to your chosen arrival time.

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Sounds very like us in the summer. 
Check out time from the hotel was 10 am and our taxi was booked for 10.45 with our embarkation time 11.30am.

Southampton was a nightmare on 30/07/22, 5 ships in port, the beginning of Cowes week and a train strike.

Our taxi was over 3 hours late picking us up, so it meant we didn’t embark until 2 pm.

The only thing that we couldn’t do on embarkation was to go to our room to pick up our key, we were sent straight to Muster.

Are you telling me you kept waiting for a driver THREE HOURS after the agreed pickup time while you're headed for a cruise??? I'm not a nervous traveler but if a pre-arranged driver is more than 20 min late I'm calling a local taxi to get on my way and charge back whatever I prepaid for the transfer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Luvtoeat said:

At Port Everglades, (we last sailed August 20) they would not let you in the building. There were lines outside for the different time slots. They sent us numerous warnings via text ahead of time that if we came early, we would be waiting outside and that Florida weather could be rather disagreable.

• Like 1

Looks like we can either stay in the hotel room until they need to come in and clean or we can wait in the lobby. When we get to the hotel I need to find out what times the shuttle heads to the port. 1:30-2:00 will be the latest we have ever gotten to the port. I remember when all the times we arrived to early but at least they let you in to sit around until they started boarding.

33 minutes ago, Luvtoeat said:

Looks like we can either stay in the hotel room until they need to come in and clean or we can wait in the lobby. When we get to the hotel I need to find out what times the shuttle heads to the port. 1:30-2:00 will be the latest we have ever gotten to the port. I remember when all the times we arrived to early but at least they let you in to sit around until they started boarding.

Exactly why I schedule our arrival time as soon as check in time becomes available on the app (45 days prior to the sail date). The app gives plenty of notice when check in time will be open. 

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

You could be charged an extra night if you don't check out by the hotel's designated time.

I have on occasion remained in a room past the scheduled check out time. Don't leave the room, as your key will no longer work. But until Housekeeping comes to clean the room, at which point I apologize profusely and complain of not feeling well, I've never had an issue.

Having said that, most hotels have a late checkout if requested. We were able to stay in a Hilton hotel in Santiago, Chile until 3pm at no charge. If we wanted to stay until 8pm, it was a 1/2 day rate. Since many flights from Europe to the US are "red eyes", hotels are used to accommodating these requests.

If it is not too crowded, they may let you on early.  If you arrive late, BUT AT LEAST THE MINIMUM BEFORE DEPARTURE, there is no problem.  At a certain point they shut down check-in and it is time to call the insurance people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lexmiller said:

No one is checking the check in times. The times are merely suggestions to attempt to alleviate crowding at the port. Arrive when you want, just don’t miss the boat! 😋

May be true in some ports but not all.  Some ports are pretty strict.  Of course once things start moving if there is a lull in the earlier times they will start taking people from the later times.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, john2003 said:

I am not quite sure how this works but I gather it may be assigned either at or after Checkin. My question is, is it ok to arrive later than the assigned time?

Yes.  We had an arrival time for our cruise a couple weeks ago  of 11:00.  Had booked flights through X and had the first flight to FLL out of Charlotte so I booked arrival time as 11:00.  The flight got cancelled and we were moved to the second flight out of CLT which put us getting there around 12:30.  No problem

Edited by Terre

On 9/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, john2003 said:

I am not quite sure how this works but I gather it may be assigned either at or after Checkin. My question is, is it ok to arrive later than the assigned time?

You are not assigned a time, you choose a time. Just choose a later time. That way you are not taking a spot that someone else may want.

8 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

In relation to this topic, are the queues at check in by allocated time and is there an express queue for elites?

Different ports seem to be handling it differently for the arrival times.  Some are very strict and have everyone line up by time. Others seem to allow a free-for-all.

In any case, I've not heard of an express line for Elites since the restart.  Suite passengers, however, may arrive and be checked in any time after the terminal opens for arrivals, and they may board any time after boarding has begun.

Edited by DCPIV