Would a 15-year-old enjoy a HAL holiday cruise to the Caribbean?

Sigyn

I'm considering a holiday cruise over Christmas, rather last minute at least to me, for my husband and I and our son, who will be 15 at the time of the cruise. I've never cruised on HAL before, but there are a couple of nice 7-day cruises to the east Caribbean during the time we're interested in traveling. Does anyone have experience with teens on HAL and did they enjoy the experience? My husband and I are in our 50's, so I know we'd like it, but don't want to bore the kid. Thanks!

We did the holiday cruise last year and though there were some kids I think your son will have a better time on Princess or Royal Caribbean if he likes to go to shows, watch movies under the stars and have a lot more kids his age on board.   We love Holland America for us but with our kids we take other cruise lines.  

• Like 2

The short answer is that it depends on the 15 year-old.

If they enjoy low-key activities with other teens, sitting and visiting with you while listening to various styles of music, taking art classes or participating in trivia contests while on board, then they'll have a blast on HAL.  My kids fit into that category, and would not enjoy the rock climbing, jet surfing, go-go-go activity set advertised by some other lines.

A 7-day Caribbean holiday cruise is going to be a little different than the typical HAL cruise, as there are likely to be many more kids on board, and you may be spending lots of time in port as well.

Worst case, as they say, a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at home!  It's only a week, and if you find you or your teenager don't enjoy the HAL product, then you'll know for next time.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

If they enjoy low-key activities with other teens, sitting and visiting with you while listening to various styles of music, taking art classes or participating in trivia contests while on board, then they'll have a blast on HAL. 

This really nails it, I think. 

I think the most important question is, does your son like to travel, see new things, and learn about history and other cultures.  If yes, since this is likely to be a pretty port-intensive cruise with only 1 or 2 sea days, and you won't be on the ship much on those days, your son will likely to enjoy the experience on any cruise line including HAL.

Our two sons had been very well traveled in the US before we started cruising (48 states each) so they enjoyed our first cruise on HAL to Alaska, along with every other cruise we have done since then throughout the world.  Our sons were 13 and 15 when we started cruising and we continue to cruise together today; we just got back from a European cruise and they are now 24 and 26.

• Like 1

I think he'll have a good time.  I'm taking my 15-year-old on the NA for Christmas.  She had a good time on a two-week cruise r/t Copenhagen in June.  My advice it to make sure that he goes to the meet and greet on the first day in order to connect with the other teens.  I agree with the others that teenagers might prefer some of the other lines but I also think that HAL has plenty to offer.  On the ship they get good food, music, and shows as well as tables/games in the observation lounge. Then, of course, there's the beaches!!!  Right now I will admit HAL has an unbeatable price and I never have a bad time because it is clean and everyone is nice.  

Edited by Mom39
  • Like 1

If everybody said- no, your teen would hate it - would you not go?

I took my 15 and 14 year old daughters on an Alaskan cruise on the Koningsdam a couple of months ago.  They enjoyed it enough that they didn't balk when I booked a Thanksgiving cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  But to be honest, I could care less if they enjoyed it or not.  My wife and I did, and we're the ones with the money, and therefore the say-so.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I think it probably would.  I was surprised to see the number of children/teenagers of varying ages on the Prinsendam when I sailed on a Christmas/New Year's Cruise.

Your family must not miss the Christmas morning program when Santa arrives on the ship.  It's very entertaining for young and old.  Your son ought to receive a gift from Santa.  If there are not many children in attendance, he may get more than one.  But, I'd recommend that you suggest to your teen-age son, that if the CD asks:  What would you like Santa to bring you?  Remind him that his answer should be in the "G" rating range and not the "X" range that one young man provided during the Prinsendam's program.  (Although that answer got more laughter than the comedian did during his performances.  A Christmas morning for me to remember!) 

• Like 1

Another couple of things to consider is the class of HAL ship you are considering and whether your teen would prefer a jam-packed ship or a less crowded ship.

Your teen probably would find the most things to do on a Pinnacle class ship (Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam in the Caribbean) than on one of the older HAL ships.  For one, there is a large movie screen at the pool for evening movies and snacks.  They also have more casual eating options, more music venues and are also slightly larger than the older ships, providing more exploration options.  The non-Pinnacle ships are nice, they just don't offer quite as much to do as the Pinnacles do.

Regarding crowds, you can probably be guaranteed the other mass market lines (RCI, Carnival, Norwegian) will be far more crowded over Christmas week than the HAL ships.  We were on the Carnival Breeze over Christmas 2018.  100% double occupancy was 3,690--they announced they had over 4,800 guests or 130+% occupancy.  Strollers and tired, cranky toddlers just about everywhere you went.  The buffet was also self-serve so lots of kid fingers touching everything.  Thankfully, you won't get that experience on HAL.

• Like 3

I think HAL is fine for 15 year olds for holiday cruises.  There will be lots of families.  I think most teens entertain themselves pretty well if they have other teens to engage with

Last week we were some of the oldest people on HAL (60s) and were surrounded by many, many families and young adults.   This was shocking😯, actually I was glad to see HAL attracting a different crowd.  This was a 7 day cruise in Alaska at the end of our land and sea journey.  I think the 7 day cruises are where they are trying hardest to attract new, more youthful customers. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think HAL is fine for 15 year olds for holiday cruises.  There will be lots of families.  I think most teens entertain themselves pretty well if they have other teens to engage with

Last week we were some of the oldest people on HAL (60s) and were surrounded by many, many families and young adults.   This was shocking😯, actually I was glad to see HAL attracting a different crowd.  This was a 7 day cruise in Alaska at the end of our land and sea journey.  I think the 7 day cruises are where they are trying hardest to attract new, more youthful customers. 

+1 it worked for us a 7 day cruise in Alaska, w/ a 15 y.o. Kids free is hard to beat. 

My son did get a bit bored towards the end. Loved the food though..

On 9/8/2022 at 7:03 PM, PACD_JG said:

If everybody said- no, your teen would hate it - would you not go?

I took my 15 and 14 year old daughters on an Alaskan cruise on the Koningsdam a couple of months ago.  They enjoyed it enough that they didn't balk when I booked a Thanksgiving cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  But to be honest, I could care less if they enjoyed it or not.  My wife and I did, and we're the ones with the money, and therefore the say-so.  

If everyone said no, I would look into other cruise lines. I'm considering Celebrity, RC, Princess and Norwegian. I want my family to enjoy their experience, and they're all within $1,500 of the same price for the three of us.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:28 PM, sansterre said:

Our son had the best times on HAL cruises.  He met other teens and enjoyed the same things (especially the food) we like about HAL as opposed to the more casual Carnival and RC.

This is good to know. Thanks for sharing!

On 9/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, iceman93 said:

The short answer is that it depends on the 15 year-old.

If they enjoy low-key activities with other teens, sitting and visiting with you while listening to various styles of music, taking art classes or participating in trivia contests while on board, then they'll have a blast on HAL.  My kids fit into that category, and would not enjoy the rock climbing, jet surfing, go-go-go activity set advertised by some other lines.

A 7-day Caribbean holiday cruise is going to be a little different than the typical HAL cruise, as there are likely to be many more kids on board, and you may be spending lots of time in port as well.

Worst case, as they say, a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at home!  It's only a week, and if you find you or your teenager don't enjoy the HAL product, then you'll know for next time.

My son enjoys both types of activities. He likes to sit around and talk to us, or listen to music, and he also enjoys being active. He's pretty flexible with what's available to entertain him. 

I have not taken one teen on a HAL cruise, I took 3 teens, on a Caribbean cruise, so have been hesitant to respond.  I planned our excursions to be fun and exhausting so they were happy when back on board.  We were on the Zuiderdam and loved it.  This was a winter break cruise and I was worried but it is one of our favorite cruises.  The crew loved having them on board and we were constantly entertained at dinner.  Whatever you decide I hope you have fun.  Cherie. p.s.  if you book, you might go on your roll call to make contacts with other families.

Edited by cccole
  • Like 4

I got hooked on cruises at age 8 thanks to the kids club on Holland America! Even though Holland America caters more to older people, young people can still have fun as long as they are not big partiers. As others have said, Christmas cruisers attract a lot more families than other cruises, so chances are, there would be at least a few other teens on board. What I’ve noticed on Princess is that the teens seem to gravitate towards each other and create their own fun regardless of the ship they’re on.

We took our 16 year old son on HAL to Alaska this past June and he loved it. On the big ships like RCI and NCL there was too much going on for him. He would always be in his room. On HAL though he found places he could sit and relax outside his room and enjoy the ship. In the evenings he would go to the piano bar without us and sit to listen to music. And yes, my 16 year old is an old soul, LOL!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LJProk said:

We took our 16 year old son on HAL to Alaska this past June and he loved it. On the big ships like RCI and NCL there was too much going on for him. He would always be in his room. On HAL though he found places he could sit and relax outside his room and enjoy the ship. In the evenings he would go to the piano bar without us and sit to listen to music. And yes, my 16 year old is an old soul, LOL!

age is but a #....As a 45 y.o i also feel right at home at HAL, not RCI etc.

• Like 2

My teens have been on holland America a few times, if there are other teens on board and they are out going enough to strike up a friendship, they will have lots of fun, if there are not a lot of other teens they will be board, the teen program sucks. We were just on carnival in april, my teen asked to go back to HA because the food was horrible on carnival, compared to other lines we have been on, we are just in the middle of trying to decide between Ha or trying a MSC cruise in nov.

• Like 1

Our kids are now in their late 20's and they cruised with us while in their teens and they prefer Holland America Line and are now 2 star mariners from our family cruises when younger.

We started out with other lines (primarily Carnival) but graduated to HAL when they were tweens and we've never looked back. 

When they were teenagers, they enjoyed the food, the ports, making friends, the entertainment, tea time, interacting with the crew and on and on.....the same things we enjoy (yes, other teens are onboard)

We are all sailing this Thanksgiving......They are becoming life long Holland America Line loyalists and it began when they were 12ish.  

• Like 1