Will my bag get sent to a naughty room?

GORDONCHICK

I am incredibly hot natured and I do not sweat, which means my body has no way to cool itself off when getting hot.  It's really a pain, and I hope not to have another heat stroke.  I travel with at least one fan, even on cruises.  Years ago, I had no issues.  But then some cruiselines (but not all) would pull my luggage when a fan showed up on the bag x-ray.  I would then have to go to a specific room (sometimes called a naughty room - usually for people smuggling alcohol).  You had to open your bag there and then engineers had to come clear my fan before I could take it and my bag to my cabin.  With the newer ships requiring a card in the slot for the AC to work (or anything else for that matter) and it takes too long to cool the cabin off.  The fan is for that (coming back from excursions) and for sleeping.  The cabin is never going to get cold enough for me to sleep well without it.  

Does anyone else travel with a fan and have experience in this on X?  I do on a couple of other lines, but not this one.  Mine are small-ish (9X9) and the electrical cords are perfectly intact.

Is there any way this fan could fit in your carry on luggage so you could take it out and show it to the person checking the bags to assure them it's just a fan?  That would save your checked luggage from going to the naughty room.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You know you can insert any kinda card into the slot and the AC will not shut off.

Yes, but when out on an excursion, I'd like the cabin to be taken care of and it won't be if there's a card in there - or at least that's been my eperience.

11 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Is there any way this fan could fit in your carry on luggage so you could take it out and show it to the person checking the bags to assure them it's just a fan?  That would save your checked luggage from going to the naughty room.

Yes, but the last time that happened, they took it away and it took 3 hours to get it back!  They usually just check the cord to make sure it's good on both ends.

30 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I am incredibly hot natured and I do not sweat, which means my body has no way to cool itself off when getting hot.  It's really a pain, and I hope not to have another heat stroke.  I travel with at least one fan, even on cruises.  Years ago, I had no issues.  But then some cruiselines (but not all) would pull my luggage when a fan showed up on the bag x-ray.  I would then have to go to a specific room (sometimes called a naughty room - usually for people smuggling alcohol).  You had to open your bag there and then engineers had to come clear my fan before I could take it and my bag to my cabin.  With the newer ships requiring a card in the slot for the AC to work (or anything else for that matter) and it takes too long to cool the cabin off.  The fan is for that (coming back from excursions) and for sleeping.  The cabin is never going to get cold enough for me to sleep well without it.  

Does anyone else travel with a fan and have experience in this on X?  I do on a couple of other lines, but not this one.  Mine are small-ish (9X9) and the electrical cords are perfectly intact.

Maybe...I ask for a fan from Special Needs for my asthma.  Maybe you could try that.  Pack your small fan in your checked luggage just in case you don't get the fan.  Keep your e-mail confirmation in case you don't get it and you can show that to Guest Services.

Which ship are you going on?  None of the X ships I've been on required a card in a slot to keep the a/c on, however, they turn the temp higher at night and it gets hot.  We just got home from the Infinity and it got up to 78 in our cabin during the night.

• Like 1

Just now, mfs2k said:

I feel like you should stick with Alaska and Greenland cruises. Lol

Would you believe on our last AK cruise, it was 92 in SE AK and because of 23 hours of daylight, it really felt warmer than that - and no AC in AK!  When we spent time in Denali, it was crazy to be white water rafting at 9pm.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Terre said:

Which ship are you going on?  None of the X ships I've been on required a card in a slot to keep the a/c on, however, they turn the temp higher at night and it gets hot.  We just got home from the Infinity and it got up to 78 in our cabin during the night.

I will be on Equinox and if it's that hot at night, I will NEVER SLEEP!

32 minutes ago, Terre said:

Maybe...I ask for a fan from Special Needs for my asthma.  Maybe you could try that.  Pack your small fan in your checked luggage just in case you don't get the fan.  Keep your e-mail confirmation in case you don't get it and you can show that to Guest Services.

Do you have the email address for the special needs department?

1 hour ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Yes, but when out on an excursion, I'd like the cabin to be taken care of and it won't be if there's a card in there - or at least that's been my eperience.

Which X ship requires a card to have the AC going???

I have been on all classes and never needed a card for the AC...

bon voyage

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I will be on Equinox and if it's that hot at night, I will NEVER SLEEP!

I can't stand to be hot at night, and have been perfectly comfortable sleeping on the Equinox. I even had the covers on me! BTW that was in the Caribbean.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Which X ship requires a card to have the AC going???

I have been on all classes and never needed a card for the AC...

bon voyage

I haven''t been on X in 15 years, but I have been on other ships that did need a card for it to keep the room as cool as we set it.  Thus the question.

4 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Thanks.  That would be great!  The link above doesn't have a place for this.  It covers lots of other things though.

?? Can't you check the "Other" box, and fill in your need for a fan and the reason for it?? And it says you can attach additional correspondence to it...

Seems pretty straightforward...and I suspect Terre will supply the same link from the Celebrity website...

• Like 1