Will my bag get sent to a naughty room?

GORDONCHICK

1 hour ago, Terre said:

Which ship are you going on?  None of the X ships I've been on required a card in a slot to keep the a/c on, however, they turn the temp higher at night and it gets hot.  We just got home from the Infinity and it got up to 78 in our cabin during the night.

I assume this post means the steward changed the in-room thermostat higher, which some had done during the day when we are out and about, but all we had to do is reset it where we wanted. I havent been on the Infinity for a while, but Every SR on Every Celebrity ship Ive been on has its own thermostat.

If a Steward did that in the evening, which makes no sense, tell the steward to leave it alone.

We need good cool SRs to sleep and have always been able to set our temperature nice and low. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Yes, but the last time that happened, they took it away and it took 3 hours to get it back!  They usually just check the cord to make sure it's good on both ends.

They need to check your fan for obvious fire risk reasons…If you board with it in your hand luggage at least you miss the naughty room and you could enjoy a few iced cocktails while you await its return. Unfortunately they could decide not to return it to you until the end of your cruise.

Personally I would go down the special needs route. Make sure you take copies on board of your request. If a fan isn’t in your room on arrival talk to your room attendant and see if he can get you one. If he says he can’t head for guest services with the copy of your request. 

Make sure you set your room to chilled and let your room attendant know not to move it higher.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

?? Can't you check the "Other" box, and fill in your need for a fan and the reason for it?? And it says you can attach additional correspondence to it...

Seems pretty straightforward...and I suspect Terre will supply the same link from the Celebrity website...

I will probably complete the form and fill in my own stuff, email them AND take one of my own fans.  I like to cover my bases!

10 minutes ago, chemmo said:

They need to check your fan for obvious fire risk reasons…If you board with it in your hand luggage at least you miss the naughty room and you could enjoy a few iced cocktails while you await its return. Unfortunately they could decide not to return it to you until the end of your cruise.

Personally I would go down the special needs route. Make sure you take copies on board of your request. If a fan isn’t in your room on arrival talk to your room attendant and see if he can get you one. If he says he can’t head for guest services with the copy of your request. 

Make sure you set your room to chilled and let your room attendant know not to move it higher.

My fans present no risk and I have no problem with them checking it and returning it so I can use it.

5 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I am incredibly hot natured and I do not sweat, which means my body has no way to cool itself off when getting hot.  It's really a pain, and I hope not to have another heat stroke.  I travel with at least one fan, even on cruises.  Years ago, I had no issues.  But then some cruiselines (but not all) would pull my luggage when a fan showed up on the bag x-ray.  I would then have to go to a specific room (sometimes called a naughty room - usually for people smuggling alcohol).  You had to open your bag there and then engineers had to come clear my fan before I could take it and my bag to my cabin.  With the newer ships requiring a card in the slot for the AC to work (or anything else for that matter) and it takes too long to cool the cabin off.  The fan is for that (coming back from excursions) and for sleeping.  The cabin is never going to get cold enough for me to sleep well without it.  

Does anyone else travel with a fan and have experience in this on X?  I do on a couple of other lines, but not this one.  Mine are small-ish (9X9) and the electrical cords are perfectly intact.

Since the Aircon was changed on all X's ships to help combat Covid you will find the general temperature is lower.

Air is no longer recycled and that in the cabin is changed 16 times an hour (12 times for public spaces).

Set your cabin thermostat to the lowest and it will stay cold (our cabin stewards regularly describe ours as a fridge as we have it so low).

The steward will not change the settings and the Aircon stays on all the time.

Make sure you balcony door is kept tight shut.

Every night ask the cabin steward to bring you a champagne sized bucket full of ice, remove the lid and as the ice melts it will help keep the air moist.

Reach out to Special Needs for a fan.

Everyone bringing on "banned" electrical items (usually steamers, irons, and extension leads) insists that theirs is safe but X's duty is to protect the 1000's on board.

Enjoy your cruise.

This is my “can’t live without it” travel accessory!!  It charges via USB. I sleep with it on the nightstand, blowing cool air at my head and providing a gentle white noise. I actually sleep with it at home and when I travel… I keep a spare on hand, too! Small and super easy to travel with, can toss it in my carry on or day bag for warm travel days. 

Puts out a lot of air, it was even my little buddy in the Millennium Penthouse last week!

CB91D111-0E99-4FB7-B4D8-A421C1CD9628.jpeg

Edited by texkat
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I am incredibly hot natured and I do not sweat, which means my body has no way to cool itself off when getting hot.  It's really a pain, and I hope not to have another heat stroke.  I travel with at least one fan, even on cruises.  Years ago, I had no issues.  But then some cruiselines (but not all) would pull my luggage when a fan showed up on the bag x-ray.  I would then have to go to a specific room (sometimes called a naughty room - usually for people smuggling alcohol).  You had to open your bag there and then engineers had to come clear my fan before I could take it and my bag to my cabin.  With the newer ships requiring a card in the slot for the AC to work (or anything else for that matter) and it takes too long to cool the cabin off. 

Celebrity ships do not have that kind of system……you are thinking of some other line

10 hours ago, Terre said:

Which ship are you going on?  None of the X ships I've been on required a card in a slot to keep the a/c on, however, they turn the temp higher at night and it gets hot.  We just got home from the Infinity and it got up to 78 in our cabin during the night.

Here is the email for special needs.  It goes to RCCL.

special_needs@rccl.com

8 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I will probably complete the form and fill in my own stuff, email them AND take one of my own fans.  I like to cover my bases!

That should work for you - keep printout or saved digital copies of correspondence verifying your need. They would either need to let you use your own fan after making sure it is safe or provide one. It's possible if they provide one that they will hold onto yours until the end of the cruise if they had any concerns but you would get it back at the end.

It's a reasonable request, but I can also see why making advanced arrangements would make things smoother for everyone. In terms of luggage, if there is a way to carry your fan in the carry-on, that should avoid a "special tour" of administrative areas of the ship. 🙂

39 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

It's a reasonable request, but I can also see why making advanced arrangements would make things smoother for everyone. In terms of luggage, if there is a way to carry your fan in the carry-on, that should avoid a "special tour" of administrative areas of the ship. 🙂

No, I still got to "tour" those areas!  They took it away before I even got on the ship!

1 hour ago, Spiritedcharm said:

I always take a fan and didn't have any problem the last time I was on Equinox in 2019. I'm going again in a couple of weeks. When is your cruise? 

That's great to hear and gives me a little hope.  Which embarkation port(s)?  Did you put it in carry on or was it packed?  Not booked yet, but either Sept or Oct of 2023.

14 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

Does anyone else travel with a fan and have experience in this on X

I, too, suffer from the inability to "glisten" and always travel with a fan.
I carry a small USB fan where ever we go and travel - have not had one bit of trouble or been stopped and asked about the fan. 
Only thing that's different for me is the size of the fan.  Mine is on the smaller size (about 4.5 inch square) and has 3 speeds.  It's available on Amazon.  Oh, and weighs only 6oz.
We've had 6 Celebrity cruises in the past 11 months, and had no issues with bringing these fans on board.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Ellesor826
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I haven''t been on X in 15 years, but I have been on other ships that did need a card for it to keep the room as cool as we set it.  Thus the question.

A good work-around on ships that require a card in the slot to allow things to work in the cabin is to bring a library card or other credit card shaped customer loyalty card not attached to your credit or banking and insert it and then just leave it there. We've never sailed on a X ship that needed that though.

16 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

A good work-around on ships that require a card in the slot to allow things to work in the cabin is to bring a library card or other credit card shaped customer loyalty card not attached to your credit or banking and insert it and then just leave it there. We've never sailed on a X ship that needed that though.

I always have a couple of hotel room cards for this purpose as well.

• Like 1

I always bring a small fan (6" across) when I travel.  I've had it in my checked luggage several times without any problem, but once it was sent to the naughty room.  I am not sure the fan caused it to be confiscated, because I also had a 1 liter unopened bottle of mouthwash in the bag and that may have been mistaken for liquor.  When I went to reclaim my bag there was no one in the room for me to talk to in order to find out why they had it.  I waited for a few minutes and when no one showed I  just took my bag to my cabin, that's why I don't know the reason for it being confiscated.  After that, I started bringing my fan aboard in my carry on and I have never had any problems bringing it that way.  Doing so has the added benefit of giving me access to my fan right away and I don't have to wait for my luggage to be delivered in order to use it.  

By the way, I switched from an electric fan to one that has a lithium battery and a USB charging cord a couple of years ago because the 110 outlet in the cruise cabin is often not close enough to the bed for me to use my fan without an extension cord, and extension cords are specifically listed on the prohibited item list.  I find the portable fan is very convenient as I can take it into the bathroom while putting on make-up or even out on the balcony since the battery keeps it running without a cord attached.  It can run while plugged into the USB charging cord but usually I just plug it in only to recharge the battery so I can then use it without the cord.  Lots of that type of portable fan can be found on Amazon.  Don't know if that would meet your needs but I have found it to be very convenient and since there is no electric cord you are not in violation of any cruise ship prohibited item rules.  (I do take the battery out of the fan and put it in my carry on while on the airplane so I don't violate lithium battery rules of checked baggage.)  

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Yes, we've used other cards as well, which is how I found out that our cabin wasn't being serviced because they thought we were in there.  Of course, this wasn't on X.

40 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

By the way, when we were on the Equinox in August, they had a naughty table, not a naughty room.   It was set up right where you disembark for all to see.   

If it's at disembarkation, isn't that usually for things purchased while sailing (either on ship or off) that you can't take to your cabin, like alcohol or perhaps a knife?  Sometimes for things confiscated at boarding to be returned?  That's kinda normal - or so it used to be.

41 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

By the way, when we were on the Equinox in August, they had a naughty table, not a naughty room.   It was set up right where you disembark for all to see.   

Prior to setting up a "naughty table", and down where inspection occurs, suitcases are held in the "naughty room" before the guest comes down for the "great unveiling" (opening of the suitcase).  Items confiscated for the duration of the cruise are then available for display on the "naughty table".

So unless you've had to make the trip down, you wouldn't be aware of the earlier steps in the "naughty room".