Beware When Booking Windstar Early

JDGGG

Booked a cruise on Windstar for a December 2022 many months ago. Since then:

• they offered the all inclusive package at no charge (July)
  • offered up to $1000 stateroom credit (last month or so)
  • dropped the rate by $1000 (this week)

My travel agent had no luck getting any of these incentives/rate reductions added to my reservation. I called Windstar and they are unable to make any concessions. As a first time Windstar cruiser this is not sitting right. I understand there are policies in place but with them not willing to budge at all will make me second guess booking them early ever again. Did anyone have a similar experience? 

• Like 1

Yes this has happened to me and the only option is to cancel and rebook under the new/existing promo. With that, your rate may go up/down depending on the rate offered during the promo and you’d lose any perk from your original booking. They do charge $100/pp admin fee but I’ve had the fee rolled into my new reservation as obc. 

if your rate has dropped by $1k I would def rebook with the new rate. 

Edited by minidonuts85
  • Like 2

I made my final payment last week so I don't think I can cancel. 

I understand that they are trying to fill the boat but I just think its bad business to not make any concessions for those that chose to plan ahead. 

• Like 1

100% concur JDGG

In our case we are loyal WS clients, my wife and I adore the product, and choose it over both Silverseas and Seaborne, and we are booked with WS in Europe in Mid Oct 22, Rome to Venice, can;t wait 

We were initially drawn in this summer by the $1,000 OBC marketing email only to find out, after reading the small print, it's not applicable if you also get the flash sale price, worse, neither is your 5% loyalty discount, yes we used a reputable cruise TA 

Fine we booked anyway, it's nickles and dimes, we're celebrating a big birthday, we want it to be on a WS ship, but all weekend we got e-mails about this special 40% savings today and thru the week, a suite became open on our sailing, really reduced, so we thought we'd upgrade, for about $1,000 USD each

Nope, WS doesn;t want us to upgrade

They will not offer us the discounted suite to existing booked reservations, only new one's, so it's uber frustrating, you wish you waited until today to book the trip instead of doing so months ago, and you almost want WS to take you off their e-mail list because all these so called specials are not special period, none of been applicable to us

I think it's short sighted on their part, I mean giving us that 5% loyalty, or a lousy $200 OBC, or being able to upgrade to a suite, giving them more funds, it would all go a long way to making loyal WS clients even more happy WS clients, instead of posting negative criticism of their business practices here, just saying...

jc

Toronto  

Edited by Wilcoam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a different take. We book WS early, flights are always cheaper further out at least that has been our experience, if we are using flying points the point return is always better further out.  As time goes on we take advantage of new specials, WS OBC, lower prices, packages, upgrades, and OBC from our travel agent  etc. We always get the cancelation fees returned in the form of OBC.  We know that after the final payment date the prices go down and if we were to go with that price we would lose our OBC and other perks, but I do the math and almost always including air we come out ahead. We have done this on 27 cruises with WS.  We agree with Wilcoam WS simply fits us. Third time trying for Malta in October ( 20,21, fingers still crossed leaving in 2 weeks). Caribbean for Christmas we have no qualms. Happy Sailing all. 

• Like 3

On two different cruises which we booked early ( directly with Windstar ) a lower price showed up on a 7 for 7 sale. Both times WS rebooked us in the same cabin at a considerably lower price.  The admin. (cancellation) charge was credited as an OBC.  You could loose some perks that were previously offered so you have to calculate which offer if in your favor. 

• Like 1

I too have a somewhat different take on this as @Strenz did.  But first, I think it should be noted that price fluctuations up and down and policies restricting re-booking w/o penalty after final payment are not unique to Windstar; all of the cruise lines do this in one form or another.

In our case, we are booked on the Wind Surf in March 2023.  We saw the cruise we liked months ago at a reasonable price ($3,999 pp) for a 14-day sailing, but waited patiently for it to show up on the 7 for 7 sale at $3,299 pp, and then booked with the loyalty discount as well as $300 pp OBC combined from Windstar and our TA.  Today, the same cruise is listed at $4,399 pp, a full $1,500 pp more than we paid.  Similarly, on our NCL cruise later this year we booked early enough to secure our desired cabins, but watched the fare daily as we approached final payment.  We re-fared the cruise twice in the final two weeks before final payment saving well over $1,000 pp on that cruise and getting a pile of perks from our TA during a simultaneous two week sale they were having.

I've watched cruise prices rise and fall in the waning days prior to final payment on many lines and have learned that either you or your TA must be especially watchful for changes that will benefit you.  Timing is everything in booking a cruise and you won't always win.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Strenz said:

flights are always cheaper further out at least that has been our experience, if we are using flying points the point return is always better further out.

This too is a great point @Strenz!  Booking 6-months or more out has proven to save us points or dollars on airfare.  On our most recent booking, I found a Business-class fare that was nearly 40% less than some Coach fares for flights on the same day.  Whereas when we've had to change flights shortly prior to sailing, we've paid premiums of 50% or more to re-book the air portion.  Again timing is everything and a little luck never hurts.

• Like 1

We've used a large online agency to book Windstar for us the last couple times. I believe they get X number of cabins at a rate that is significantly lower than Windstar direct or other agencies get. 

We booked the Legend  Miami to Panama over

New years thru them. They gave us in addition a very generous OBC. The day after we booked the rate jumped significantly.  I'm only assuming we bought the last cabin they had at the lower rate. Windstars current 1 week promotion just came out and its within $15pp of what we locked in. There's no way we would change this as by booking early we got the same great balcony cabin as our last sailing on the Legend.  As a previous poster said booking early allows you to book airfare early as well. We did this and saved about $300 pp over what is currently offered.

There are limited options flying from Panama back to Miami. 

I do sympathize with the original post regarding Windstars unwillingness to budge on adjusting their price after booking.

Our final payment is due next week.  As prices do fluctuate, 

time will tell between now and December as to how good our decision to book early really was.

After final payment, you are stuck.  Booking assurance cuts off then.  Before pandemic, Windstar was excellent at matching price changes up until embarkation.  I had some great cuts that saved me money.  However, since Chris Prelog became CEO there have been changes.  

• Like 2

If you are prepared to pay that final payment then you must be happy with the price otherwise you wouldn't do it.

I have seen many cruises go up in price as the time goes by and also seen many cruises that go down in price.

Enjoy the cruise,its not really about the money is it.😁

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As a new cruiser to Windstar, I am frustrated with them today...  I have limited past cruising experience but one prior sailing on Seabourn Ovation with another booked on Seabourn Encore in the med in September.  I booked Windstar for Virgin Islands sailing on Star Pride Feb 25 out of San Juan over Seabourn to try something new after reading positive reviews.  I booked  Star Ocean View suite and with new pricing in effect yesterday the price for a Star Balcony suite is now $100 less than what we paid per person!  I called my TA (large online agency) and she was unable to have any changes made - no transfer to balcony cabin.  She said she asked them to upgrade me, but they could not "promise" it.  I understand what everyone is saying here and I was happy sailing at the price I paid.  But I don't like this psychological game that is unavoidable when they undercut pricing.  In general, I think this is bad practice.  At a minimum Windstar should offer changes (like cabin upgrade or onboard credit) so you are not penalized for booking early.  Regardless of how good the cruise is, if they don't do something like an upgrade or OBC I doubt I'll be using Windstar again, I don't like playing these games - vacation should be hassle free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m never shy about criticizing Windstar on here, after all it is “Cruisecritic”. Also my gripes are usually with their land based set up.

However, if Windstar are simply sticking to their fine print about not combining discounts/promotions, and not reducing fares that have already been paid (fallen between or after their stated calendar deadlines), then I don’t think they’ve done much wrong.  I realize they could show a bit of good faith etc. and give a passenger a break, but when and where do they stop?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

I’m never shy about criticizing Windstar on here, after all it is “Cruisecritic”. Also my gripes are usually with their land based set up.

However, if Windstar are simply sticking to their fine print about not combining discounts/promotions, and not reducing fares that have already been paid (fallen between or after their stated calendar deadlines), then I don’t think they’ve done much wrong.  I realize they could show a bit of good faith etc. and give a passenger a break, but when and where do they stop?

I'm sure they tell themselves that with each complaint they receive on this topic.  For me, and I assume many others, it's not really about the money...  after all, we really are blessed to be spending large sums of hard earned money to go on these luxe ships.  For me, it's more about feeling value out of the luxury price tag I'm paying, and when they drastically cut fares after people have already paid to sell the remaining cabins at bargain basement prices and then refuse to make concessions, I admit I feel a little cheated.  It's a psychological game, and when traveling on a 'luxury' line I don't want to play that game.  Sure, I understand they are a business trying to make money but there may be better ways to do so then selling out your existing customers.  A great example of a business who rarely does this is Four Seasons.  This is a management practice and choice that Windstar has made, and it's up to them where they will "draw the line," but I don't like it and I will vote with my wallet.  There are other options out there who don't operate like this: cruise lines, resorts, even airlines...  I personally see no reason for these practices.

• Thanks 1

I personally never book a long time ahead as I know this is what they do.  There currently are several 7 day cruises this winter that are now selling at below $1,000 on the Canadian Resident Discount (and under $2,000 for Star Collector)  Now that’s what I call a great price

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:34 AM, Redtravel said:

After final payment, you are stuck.  Booking assurance cuts off then.  Before pandemic, Windstar was excellent at matching price changes up until embarkation.  I had some great cuts that saved me money.  However, since Chris Prelog became CEO there have been changes.  

Actually, the change was made well before the pandemic. The price assurance policy used to be up to 7 days before sailing. Then they changed it to 180 days (or maybe it was 120 days) which I felt was too long and unfair to the cruiser. After some months, they changed to 90 days, the same as final payment. I feel that's a reasonable compromise that allows for booking a cruise you really like well in advance getting your choice of cabin with some price assurance and Windstar being able to sell spare capacity by last minute price reduction.

53 minutes ago, Misty Morning said:

I personally never book a long time ahead as I know this is what they do.  There currently are several 7 day cruises this winter that are now selling at below $1,000 on the Canadian Resident Discount (and under $2,000 for Star Collector)  Now that’s what I call a great price

We've had some Windstar cruises with unusual itineraries that booked full or near full and the price only went up. We were glad we booked them early. If booking the cruises Windstar does a lot like some of the Caribbean, Panama/Costa Rica or Tahiti itineraries, it makes sense to wait.

39 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

Actually, the change was made well before the pandemic. The price assurance policy used to be up to 7 days before sailing. Then they changed it to 180 days (or maybe it was 120 days) which I felt was too long and unfair to the cruiser. After some months, they changed to 90 days, the same as final payment. I feel that's a reasonable compromise that allows for booking a cruise you really like well in advance getting your choice of cabin with some price assurance and Windstar being able to sell spare capacity by last minute price reduction.

I booked my original fare within the 90 days on a "flash sale" thinking the price would not drop lower... foolish for me to think that, now an even lower "last minute cruise deal" fare is available!  I won't be dumb enough to fall for this again.  Again, this is not about the money, I don't want a refund of the fare difference.  I am happy paying what I paid.  If I wasn't happy with the price I wouldn't have booked the cruise in the first place... but Windstar's pricing games is lessening the "luxury" experience of this cruise.  I don't want less value for more money, as none of us do, so I do feel I should get a Star Balcony which is now priced for less than what I paid for my Star Ocean View.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you make up rules and expect the world to follow them, it rarely turns out well.  Good luck finding a cruise line that doesn't discount fares at the last minute.  Even ones that publicly claim not to [Oceania] quietly do so through favored Travel Agents.  Don't ever ask around onboard how much people paid, because the answers would probably ruin your cruise!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When you make up rules and expect the world to follow them, it rarely turns out well.  Good luck finding a cruise line that doesn't discount fares at the last minute.  Even ones that publicly claim not to [Oceania] quietly do so through favored Travel Agents.  Don't ever ask around onboard how much people paid, because the answers would probably ruin your cruise!

I'll try to apply that logic when I'm working hard serving people, and see how well that turns out for me.  If all cruise lines act like this then maybe cruising not right for me.

Edited by ciaoYacht

Where does everyone find these great "last minute cruise deals".  All of the sales I see are only a couple of hundred dollars less than what they were, all of which are about double the pre-COVID prices.  You used to be able to get on 7 day sailings for less than $1000 if you were patient, but now it must only be for the Canadians, unless I'm not looking in the right place!

4 hours ago, kbr said:

Where does everyone find these great "last minute cruise deals".  All of the sales I see are only a couple of hundred dollars less than what they were, all of which are about double the pre-COVID prices.  You used to be able to get on 7 day sailings for less than $1000 if you were patient, but now it must only be for the Canadians, unless I'm not looking in the right place!

Go to the Windstar cruise finder. Under Specials, click Last Minute Deals. Some are between $1000 and $2000 currently. I don't recall seeing prices below $1000 very often pre-COVID. I did get a great deal last December (2022) on a 7-for-7 on the price of my crossing Cruise Collector a bit before the Price Assurance window ended. The prices went back up after so my fare for 23 days was less than the fare on the 10 non-crossing segment.