Mouthwash Container

GeorgeCharlie

3 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

With all the rules regarding bringing plastic containers onboard, am I correct to assume mouthwash in its original plastic container is still allowed?

We brought a bottle on in Feb without any problem

• Like 1

Come on folks...don't be silly.  They are talking about plastic water bottle being banned (although that is not necessarily true; see https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2880826-questions-about-water/?do=findComment&comment=63949453).  Any medical/dental product in a plastic bottle is absolutely allowed.  Period.  End of discussion.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Come on folks...don't be silly.  They are talking about plastic water bottle being banned (although that is not necessarily true; see https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2880826-questions-about-water/?do=findComment&comment=63949453).  Any medical/dental product in a plastic bottle is absolutely allowed.  Period.  End of discussion.

Ok, thanks for letting us know.  How do you know proof positive that this is the case.  Do you work for hal?

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Ok, thanks for letting us know.  How do you know proof positive that this is the case.  Do you work for hal?

three cruises this year and I brought mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, facial moisturizer, makeup - all in plastic bottles. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

three cruises this year and I brought mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, facial moisturizer, makeup - all in plastic bottles. 

Yes, I have too.  I’m not saying you can’t now.  When someone says don’t be silly and end of discussion I take an issue with that.  The discussion will end naturally or when locked.  I don’t understand the whole I say so, so this is all that will be said.  Doesn’t really work like that.  I’ve worried too about bringing plastic bottles with meds.  These are the things that keep me up at night even though some people deem them as silly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, I have too.  I’m not saying you can’t now.  When someone says don’t be silly and end of discussion I take an issue with that.  The discussion will end naturally or when locked.  I don’t understand the whole I say so, so this is all that will be said.  Doesn’t really work like that.  I’ve worried too about bringing plastic bottles with meds.  These are the things that keep me up at night even though some people deem them as silly.

I think it is all about expectations of disposal.  A water bottle is used then disposed of on ship.  The expectation for cosmetics/toiletries  is the passenger will take the bottle with them when they depart.  You are right in the  sense of if they found a sudden increase of cosmetic/toiletries  bottles being disposed on ship they might ban all plastic.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Attempting to put your mind somewhat at ease

Disposed off plastic bottles and other polystyrene products of all sizes, from pax AND crew, will wind up in a room located on the ship's A-Deck midships with the somewhat unflattering name of the Garbage Room. In that room, one will find a hard working team consisting of a waste disposal supervisor with his waste disposal operators, all hailing from the Philippines (One of those crew positions onboard that a portion of your hotel service fee winds up at, but crew members you will never see during your cruise - there are many others).

Those aforementioned plastics will be placed by one of the operators in an industrial size self-contained waste compactor and reduced in size. Those "blocks" of now squished together and compacted plastics will be hauled off via the same shell doors in the ship's marshaling area, also on A-Deck, your luggage enters and exits the vessel at either a port along the way (the plastics, not your luggage 😉), and/or the ships regular embarkation/disembarkation port before the next cruise starts. It is a regular and routine process for those hard working operators down there

Unlike flying - read TSA - there are no restrictions, with the exception of water bottles - one case of 12 only - on HAL for bringing onboard plastic containers for oral rinsing purposes. Why the restriction on water bottles? Believe it or not, fine folks have boarded HAL ships after having emptied/discarded the H2O and refilled those Crystal/Fiji/Dasani/Arrowhead/Naja, you name it, bottles with alcohol for personal consumption. Go figure!       

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Somewhere I read it is all about moving towards being environmental conscious and that single use plastic like plastic straws and plastic bottles are banned. Medicine bottles are not single use and hopefully your bottle of mouthwash is not single use. HAL no longer has plastic water bottles but you can buy one liter Aqua Panna water in glass bottles. I take a hiking water bottle to fill with water when going off the ship.  When embarking and going through security the cap of the bottle is off.   No problems whatsoever.

Peter
Edited by SFO PETER
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Attempting to put your mind somewhat at ease

Disposed off plastic bottles and other polystyrene products of all sizes, from pax AND crew, will wind up in a room located on the ship's A-Deck midships with the somewhat unflattering name of the Garbage Room. In that room, one will find a hard working team consisting of a waste disposal supervisor with his waste disposal operators, all hailing from the Philippines (One of those crew positions onboard that a portion of your hotel service fee winds up at, but crew members you will never see during your cruise - there are many others).

Those aforementioned plastics will be placed by one of the operators in an industrial size self-contained waste compactor and reduced in size. Those "blocks" of now squished together and compacted plastics will be hauled off via the same shell doors in the ship's marshaling area, also on A-Deck, your luggage enters and exits the vessel at either a port along the way (the plastics, not your luggage 😉), and/or the ships regular embarkation/disembarkation port before the next cruise starts. It is a regular and routine process for those hard working operators down there

Unlike flying - read TSA - there are no restrictions, with the exception of water bottles - one case of 12 only - on HAL for bringing onboard plastic containers for oral rinsing purposes. Why the restriction on water bottles? Believe it or not, fine folks have boarded HAL ships after having emptied/discarded the H2O and refilled those Crystal/Fiji/Dasani/Arrowhead/Naja, you name it, bottles with alcohol for personal consumption. Go figure!       

Thank you.  As always the few ruin it for the many.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

In that room, one will find a hard working team consisting of a waste disposal supervisor with his waste disposal operators, all hailing from the Philippines (One of those crew positions onboard that a portion of your hotel service fee winds up at, but crew members you will never see during your cruise - there are many others).

An absolute gem of information.

To be remembered for the next "I pay cash to those who look after me" threads.

Thankyou!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Why the restriction on water bottles? Believe it or not, fine folks have boarded HAL ships after having emptied/discarded the H2O and refilled those Crystal/Fiji/Dasani/Arrowhead/Naja, you name it, bottles with alcohol for personal consumption. Go figure!

The same no-carry-on situation exists on Carnival due to smuggling booze in bottles.  The difference between Carnival and HAL though is that Carnival will sell you bottled water cases at a very reasonable price.  Carnival sells 12 packs of .5 liter plastic water bottles for only $4.95 per case.  You can pre-order them to have them waiting in your cabin when you board.  On HAL, a 16 oz can of Open Water costs $4.50.  That's $57 for the equivalent volume of water to Carnival's $4.95 case.

7 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

The same no-carry-on situation exists on Carnival due to smuggling booze in bottles.  The difference between Carnival and HAL though is that Carnival will sell you bottled water cases at a very reasonable price.  Carnival sells 12 packs of .5 liter plastic water bottles for only $4.95 per case.  You can pre-order them to have them waiting in your cabin when you board.  On HAL, a 16 oz can of Open Water costs $4.50.  That's $57 for the equivalent volume of water to Carnival's $4.95 case.

It’s a cash grab for sure. Of course there should be mark up but that is straight up price gouging. 

8 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

I think this is a genuine effort to reduce ocean plastic.  You can still bring a limited amount of water on board but it must be in cans. Quoted below

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think this is a genuine effort to reduce ocean plastic.  You can still bring a limited amount of water on board but it must be in cans. Quoted below

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

Copper 10-8 has said otherwise.  He has worked for hal and is very knowledgeable.  While that may be a secondary reason for it, it doesn’t seem to be the primary reason.  There have also been pictures posted on cc of the crew carrying large plastic bottles of water recently on board.  While I can see it being a good idea to stop people from bringing cases and cases onboard I don’t see the big deal of bringing one or 2 bottles.

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Copper 10-8 has said otherwise.  He has worked for hal and is very knowledgeable.  While that may be a secondary reason for it, it doesn’t seem to be the primary reason.  There have also been pictures posted on cc of the crew carrying large plastic bottles of water recently on board.  While I can see it being a good idea to stop people from bringing cases and cases onboard I don’t see the big deal of bringing one or 2 bottles.

I disagree with his analysis.  I choose to believe this

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-joins-ocean-plastics-leadership-network

• Like 2