One Time Only Exception

peanut head

Hello All!  I just wanted to let you know about a phone call I just had with Celebrity and wondering if this is the norm.  Let me preface this by saying that I am very happy with X and will continue to be loyal but I think they need to work on their customer service.  I was always taught to keep in mind "what does the customer/client/patient/guest think?  How are your words interpreted?"

Yesterday, I received a promotional email regarding a discount on the Chef's Table for my Equinox cruise.  I clicked on the link to discover that I could not modify my existing Chef's Table reservation to take advantage of the discount.  I was fearful to cancel the reservation as I thought that I may not be able to rebook because of how popular the event is and I would lose out completely.

This morning I called Celebrity and spoke with Ivan who said he could not help at all since Chef's Table was completely booked (my original concern) and he couldn't reschedule my reservation to take advantage of the discount, which he couldn't see anyway.  He transferred me to Omar who also was at a loss of issuing the credit.  I was then transferred to the escalation department where Brianna worked on the problem.  She, too, could not find the promotion and therefore, could  not issue the credit.  I forwarded the promotional email to her and she was then able to verify and apply the credit to my OBC.  All this took 56 minutes but I multi-tasked and also knew from reading CC that hold times can be long.  During this whole time I never raised my voice, got sarcastic nor spoke in any tone but friendly and polite.

What bothers me is not that I couldn't modify the Chef's Table reservation on my own, that it took 2 Celebrity reservationists to transfer me to Brianna in the escalation dept., that the escalation dept. couldn't locate their own company's promo nor that the call was almost an hour.  What really got me was just before hanging up and telling me to have a "great day", Brianna informed me (politely and firmly) "this is a one time only exception and if there should be any other promos or discounts then you are not entitled to them."  Really?!  Because a guest was persistent in receiving a promo that was sent by Celebrity and was able to apply it to his/her account she/he is now penalized?   I hope that Celebrity reads this and considers changing the way that they speak to their guests.

• Like 3

Wow, they sure seemed to imply you were doing something you should not be allowed to. It is   upsetting that many times the 'left hand does not know what the right hand is doing' when it comes to offers, etc. that are sent to guests.  Sadly, customer service seems to be lacking in a lot of businesses nowadays.  

• Like 2

I've had it multiple times with other promotions on sailings where they send out something like a "BIRTHDAY" code and of course they know nothing about it.  They do eventually give in and apply it as a "one time good will gesture".

Yes it's frustrating.   I've found Celebrity doesn't empower their mid level customer service to "do the right thing".   A couple of times I had serious issues with a logical solution.  Got a stone wall at all levels.  Had to escalate to executive office where it was taken care of logically and quickly.   I would think they had better things to do.

• Like 3

And believe me, it's not just X...had a similar go round with a Princess promo...however, did not get the 'this is a one time, etc' line...

(I *did* get that line from an Amazon escalation rep though...but that's a different story 😁)

A response of " "this is a one time only exception" would piss me off big time.  It reminds me of my husband's first and only purchase of an Apple iPhone.  The battery of the brand new phone would totally drain by noon each day.  We brought it back to an Apple store and they tried to troubleshoot but in the end gave him a replacement iPhone.  It happened again and a week later we were back.  They could not resolve the issue again, and the manager then said it was the very last time that they were going to replace the phone. 

The battery drained again on the 3rd phone and I went online and found the cause.  When the mail and calendar had issue with synchronizing with the server, it would cause the battery to drain because it would continue to try to synchronize in the background.  I simply deleted my husband's email account and installed it again.  Problem resolved.

That was the last time we would own an iPhone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, peanut head said:

What bothers me is not that I couldn't modify the Chef's Table reservation on my own, that it took 2 Celebrity reservationists to transfer me to Brianna in the escalation dept., that the escalation dept. couldn't locate their own company's promo nor that the call was almost an hour.  What really got me was just before hanging up and telling me to have a "great day", Brianna informed me (politely and firmly) "this is a one time only exception and if there should be any other promos or discounts then you are not entitled to them."  Really?!  Because a guest was persistent in receiving a promo that was sent by Celebrity and was able to apply it to his/her account she/he is now penalized?   I hope that Celebrity reads this and considers changing the way that they speak to their guests.

Really?

You are taking exception to the fact that someone bent the rules and gave you a discount that would not apply to your already booked reservation and then, "politely and firmly,'" told you that it was a one time only exception and that the conditions of your dinner booking precluded any new offers.

Poor Brianna can't win. She gave you a discount that did not apply to your existing reservation, let you know it was a one time exception instead of letting you continue to  not read the small print of offers and expecting the same special service.

Either way, her service probably would result in complaints.

A simple "Thank you. I understand" would be the correct answer to Brianna.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I've had it multiple times with other promotions on sailings where they send out something like a "BIRTHDAY" code and of course they know nothing about it.  They do eventually give in and apply it as a "one time good will gesture".

Yes it's frustrating.   I've found Celebrity doesn't empower their mid level customer service to "do the right thing".   A couple of times I had serious issues with a logical solution.  Got a stone wall at all levels.  Had to escalate to executive office where it was taken care of logically and quickly.   I would think they had better things to do.

Exactly this.  So many other things such as the CC/loyalty internet discount where you have to call in, can't do it online

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Really?

You are taking exception to the fact that someone bent the rules and gave you a discount that would not apply to your already booked reservation and then, "politely and firmly,'" told you that it was a one time only exception and that the conditions of your dinner booking precluded any new offers.

Poor Brianna can't win. She gave you a discount that did not apply to your existing reservation, let you know it was a one time exception instead of letting you continue to  not read the small print of offers and expecting the same special service.

Perhaps the OP's email did not state, in the fine print or otherwise, that the discount did not apply to existing reservations and that it applied to new reservations only.  I too, and perhaps others, would have expected the discount. If the OP overlooked the 'fine print' then, yes, a simple "Thank you. I understand."  would be the appropriate answer. 

• Like 1

I may be in the minority, but I do not think that OP was entitled  nor should they have expected the discount.  If something is “sold out” and not available to book, then why should any company go back and retroactively apply a discount to thus that were fortunate enough to get a booking?  

it would be different if the OP would be willing to cancel their current booking and take the risk that they could rebook at a lower price.

Celebrity did them a big favor by giving them OBC for the difference and let them know that it was an exception to their policy.  And they should not expect the same exception in the future.

And now Celebrity is being criticized?  Celebrity should have just denied the request unless there was an opening available IMO.  Of course they should have been firm, but polite.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I may be in the minority, but I do not think that OP was entitled  nor should they have expected the discount.  If something is “sold out” and not available to book, then why should any company go back and retroactively apply a discount to thus that were fortunate enough to get a booking?  

it would be different if the OP would be willing to cancel their current booking and take the risk that they could rebook at a lower price.

Celebrity did them a big favor by giving them OBC for the difference and let them know that it was an exception to their policy.  And they should not expect the same exception in the future.

And now Celebrity is being criticized?  Celebrity should have just said denied the request unless there was an opening available IMO.  Of course they should have been firm, but polite.

Exceptions create expectations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

And now Celebrity is being criticized?  Celebrity should have just denied the request unless there was an opening available IMO.  Of course they should have been firm, but polite.

Celebrity should not have sent the email in the first place. It was addressing the OP's specific cruise (according to the OP's post) yet the event was already sold out already??? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LuvCruzn4Evr said:

Celebrity should not have sent the email in the first place. It was addressing the OP's specific cruise (according to the OP's post) yet the event was already sold out already??? 

Totally agree.  I get a snicker out of folks to who expect everyone to both read the T&Cs in full and to follow them; folks who follow both of those are the extreme minority.  No one has anything to lose calling and asking for the discount to be honored.  The OP was also pointing out how inefficient the process was. 

• Like 5

I do appreciate all responses.  Let me be clear for those who believe I should have "read the fine print" or that I am "entitled".   The link from the promo email did not permit me to modify the existing reservation to take advantage of the discount.  I was entitled, according to the big and fine print of the promo email to get the discount.  That being said, at the end of the call I did thank Brianna for her time and effort.  What bothered, and continues to bother me, is that the comment of a "one time exception".  I have no issues with Brianna's work to resolve the problem, just the scripted comment designed by Celebrity that was made to me.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Really?

Aye yie yie.  Corporate doublespeak enabler.  May you get what you preach in your life.  And yes… that is a curse, from me to you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, peanut head said:

I do appreciate all responses.  Let me be clear for those who believe I should have "read the fine print" or that I am "entitled".   The link from the promo email did not permit me to modify the existing reservation to take advantage of the discount.  I was entitled, according to the big and fine print of the promo email to get the discount.  That being said, at the end of the call I did thank Brianna for her time and effort.  What bothered, and continues to bother me, is that the comment of a "one time exception".  I have no issues with Brianna's work to resolve the problem, just the scripted comment designed by Celebrity that was made to me.  

Are you saying that the promo clearing said that all previous bookings should be discounted even if the event receives the maximum bookings at some point. (Sold out).  That would be very unusual for any business.  

Celebrity does not individually evaluate each promotional email to make sure that it applies to everyone receiving the email.

In your situation, I think Celebrity made a mistake making a “one time exception “ for you.  It was a good attempt by Celebrity, but it certainly did not work.  You are left feeling that it was not an exception, but the standard policy.  I believe otherwise, but I have not seen the actual promotional email.  The same potential situation exists on a sold out excursion.  Sometimes things can fill up in just a few hours.  

If it is not fully booked, it should be easy to get the new discount.  Otherwise why should Celebrity reduce the price on a sold out booking?

Easy to understand why the rep made the comment.

I have gotten the benefit of lower booking prices without having to cancel and rebook, and several of the promotions had in small print "New bookings only." The X reps were always happy to do it by just reducing the fare or adding OBC, and never said anything about it being an exception to the "new bookings" requirements.

The reason, no doubt, is that there were always cabins available in my category. 

Had the OP's event not been sold out, it might well have been done by the rep w/o a problem.

• Like 2