Number of dress your best/formal nights on a 15 night cruise & do men wear jackets?

gillian762

My husband and I are doing a 15 night Panama Canal cruise on 30th September on Celebrity Millenium. How many dress your best/ dress to impress/ formal nights will there be? Do most men still wear jackets on these nights or just a smart shirt? We will be dining mostly in Blu. Any tips would be appreciated.

Edited by gillian762

• gillian762 changed the title to Number of dress your best/formal nights on a 15 night cruise & do men wear jackets?

Celebrity call them ‘Evening Chic’ nights and on a 15-night cruise there would likely be three. 

You’ll see a real mixture - from tuxedos/ long dresses through to slacks/jeans with open-necked shirts. No-one bats an eyelid if you’re dressed up or casual, it’s all very relaxed. 

• Like 1

Actually, my understanding is that the chic nights are for the MDR only, not Blu or specialty restaurants.  I have never seen anyone in Blu or a specialty restaurant in a tuxedo or long dress.   

We are finding fewer and fewer people wearing tuxedos and long dresses.  Sports jackets maybe, suits are rare are the cruises we have taken over the last few years.   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

Actually, my understanding is that the chic nights are for the MDR only, not Blu or specialty restaurants.  I have never seen anyone in Blu or a specialty restaurant in a tuxedo or long dress.   

We are finding fewer and fewer people wearing tuxedos and long dresses.  Sports jackets maybe, suits are rare are the cruises we have taken over the last few years.   

We have see tuxedos & long dresses in both Blu and Luminae as recent as April.  There were also  jeans and polo shirts that same night.  
We stopped the tux & long dresses quite awhile ago and DH no longer brings a jacket. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

In my experience about half of men wear at least a jacket on longer cruises. There should be 2 Chic Nights on any cruise of 7 nights or more

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/onboard-dress-code

That seems high to me on Caribbean itineraries. I've been on four Celebrity sailings since the restart and my estimation would be 20-25% of men wear a jacket or suit on Chic Night. I would say it would be higher on European sailings since Europeans tend to dress more formally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

That seems high to me on Caribbean itineraries. I've been on four Celebrity sailings since the restart and my estimation would be 20-25% of men wear a jacket or suit on Chic Night. I would say it would be higher on European sailings since Europeans tend to dress more formally. 

Exactly what I would estimate, I have been on 8 X (10 overall) sailings since the restart, all the Caribbean.

3 hours ago, Torfamm said:

In my experience about half of men wear at least a jacket on longer cruises. There should be 2 Chic Nights on any cruise of 7 nights or more

https://www.celebritycruises.com/faqs/onboard-dress-code

3 hours ago, NeroliGirl said:

Celebrity call them ‘Evening Chic’ nights and on a 15-night cruise there would likely be three

You’ll see a real mixture - from tuxedos/ long dresses through to slacks/jeans with open-necked shirts. No-one bats an eyelid if you’re dressed up or casual, it’s all very relaxed. 

Seems pretty clear to me there will be two.  Perhaps things were different in the past.

image.thumb.png.cbe683868414005813f18ff426ce60cf.png

We had 3 Chic nights on our recent 14 night Mediterranean cruise on Silhouette.

The first Sea day, next to last and our 6 th night, which was actually a port day, but we did leave port early.

I was disappointed to see that standards have slipped. Time was you would not be allowed into the dining room if you were not wearing a jacket(men).

At the neighbouring table the man  was wearing shorts!
His partner however was in a nice dress.

It was horrendously hot in the Mediterranean, but not in the MDR, as they have the Air Conditioning working.

287BB074-DF39-479E-A333-7B0A396FD009.thumb.jpeg.b449ecc330612b48537c95e638acddef.jpeg

I also heard that 2 ladies in cocktail dresses were refused admission to the Oceanview cafe as they were overdressed!😱

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Not even on European sailings,  I don't even pack a jacket. Long sleeve open neck shirt and smart pants.

• Like 3

In the past, I've always brought a suit coat and tie.  But, then again, I tend to wear a pair of dress pants and a button down shirt to dinner every night of a cruise.  For my cruise in October, I'm saving the suitcase space and I'm not going to bring a coat.  I'm just going to bring a few ties to wear for chic night. But, this is my choice. 

My suggestion is wear what is comfortable to you as long as it meets the fairly lax standards that Celebrity is setting these days.  No shorts, ripped jeans, tank tops, etc. As long as you look somewhat presentable, you'll fit right in.

10 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We had 3 Chic nights on our recent 14 night Mediterranean cruise on Silhouette.

3 hours ago, JBare said:

Just returned from Iceland on Silhouette, three chic nights.

Thanks!  That solves that, there are 3 chic nights and X's website is wrong (shocker)

It's been a source of frustration for years.  Individual ships often do things their own ways, too.  Makes it hard to plan.  The company really isn't that big.  I don't understand why they cannot have consistency across the brand.

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks!  That solves that, there are 3 chic nights and X's website is wrong (shocker)

It has always said two but most sailings I have been on of 10 or more days have had three. Must be an unofficial onboard policy. Does not matter to me as on Chic nights in the Caribbean or Europe I wear polo shirts and long pants on non chic nights and dress up with a long sleeve button down shirt on Chic evenings. I bring two long sleeve shirts for chic. I wear one of them twice if three chic. They are only worn for a few hours so I could probably bring one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

It's been a source of frustration for years.  Individual ships often do things their own ways, too.  Makes it hard to plan.  The company really isn't that big.  I don't understand why they cannot have consistency across the brand.

Totally agree, X just seems to not have any QA or oversight when it comes to their website and marketing

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It has always said two but most sailings I have been on of 10 or more days have had three. Must be an unofficial onboard policy. Does not matter to me as on Chic nights in the Caribbean or Europe I wear polo shirts and long pants on non chic nights and dress up with a long sleeve button down shirt on Chic evenings. I bring two long sleeve shirts for chic. I wear one of them twice if three chic. They are only worn for a few hours so I could probably bring one. 

Took 45 seconds of my time, I email the engagement center.  Guessing 75% chance I'll receive "I'll pass it along!", 25% chance I'll receive "website is accurate, never more than two" and a 10% chance of them fixing the site anytime soon

Edited by NutsAboutGolf