swimming pools

teresitaboy

22 minutes ago, teresitaboy said:

Thank you, do you have first hand knowledge of this, have you been in a princess pool? 

Based on my skin touching the pools I can confirm they are not salt water. I have been on quite a few Princess ships

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teresitaboy said:

Thank you, do you have first hand knowledge of this, have you been in a princess pool? 

Yes, 550 days of knowledge on board Princess ships. I have been on almost all Princess ships including the Royal Class ships. The only ships that were in the fleet at one time with a salt water pool were the "R" Class ships. Princess no longer has these ships.

6 hours ago, teresitaboy said:

Thank you all for your response, the reason I question the answer was when I googled the question it came back salt.

I also googled your question.   The responses indicated fresh water including the 4th hit which was one from the Princess WEB site that stated -

"Soak in a World of Relaxation

Take a dip in our sparkling freshwater pools and leave your everyday world behind. Unwind on a padded lounger and soak up the sun"

Check out the post  - "https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/activities/freshwater-pool-hot-tub.html"

DON

• 2 weeks later...

Being a pool owner, I often wonder what people are looking for when they ask this question.  A "salt water" pool is not like the ocean.  Also, it would not be like they would pump ocean water into the pools.  Salt water pools are not really just that.  They use salt to generate their own chlorine so the salinity is significantly different than sea water.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Being a pool owner, I often wonder what people are looking for when they ask this question.  A "salt water" pool is not like the ocean.  Also, it would not be like they would pump ocean water into the pools.  Salt water pools are not really just that.  They use salt to generate their own chlorine so the salinity is significantly different than sea water.  

I don't know if they still exist, but back in the day, we went to a resort in Maine where the salt water pool was really salt water, and may in fact have been pumped in from the ocean.  And the pool on the QE2 was actual salt water.  (Again, not sure if it was sea water.  I do know that it was freezing cold).  I understand what you are saying about today's salt water filtration systems.  But there is (or was) such a thing as an actual salt water pool with water that had the buoyancy and taste of the ocean.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

According to Chengkp75, who used to work on cruise ships, some are indeed actual salt water straight from the ocean as explained in his post last April: (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2844408-pool-water-on-celebrity/#comment-63001801)

"Salt water pools:  The chlorine generating systems for land salt water pools are not accepted as being precise enough for use on cruise ships.  If a ship with salt water pools is going to be at sea for more than a couple of days, they will simply pump filtered sea water into the pool continuously, and the overflow flows back to sea.  The problem is that when the ship is within 12 miles of shore, it must switch to "recirculation", which stops taking in sea water, and merely recirculates the pool water, just like a land pool.  In this mode, the pool must maintain a residual chlorine content, and this is done during the recirculation by real time chlorine meters, and metering pumps that add chlorine and acid as required, based on the bather load.  When switching from "flow through" to "recirculation", the pool must be shut down until the residual chlorine level is reached, which is why the ships don't do it unless they have a couple of days of operation in flow through, as the passengers complain when the pool is shut down, and it also uses a lot of chlorine to re-establish the required level.

Fresh water pools:  These are operated in "recirculation" mode, just as the salt water pools are, when the ship is within 12 miles of shore.

Many sea water pools still exist, and even newer ships use them, as it saves energy from making tons of fresh water that needs to be dumped weekly.

Further, it is not the salt that you smell in sea water, it is dimethyl sulphide produced by bacteria as they digest dead phytoplankton.  The chlorine kills the bacteria, but the dimethyl sulphide remains."

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

Further, it is not the salt that you smell in sea water, it is dimethyl sulphide produced by bacteria as they digest dead phytoplankton.

Note to self:  Next time you wake up and walk out onto your balcony in the morning and take a deep breath in, say out loud: "Ahhh!  I love the smell of dimethly sulphide in the morning.  Thank you,  bacteria."  😉 

• Haha 3

A "salt water pool" is a freshwater pool that uses salt (saline) to make chlorine through electrolysis rather than a freshwater pool where chlorine is just dumped into the pool. A lot of schools and public pools are deserting traditional chlorine pools for a lot of reasons.

As to seawater pools, I remember when Renaissance had actual seawater pools, the old Matson line pools were seawater and so was the pool at the Hotel del Coronado.

On 9/19/2022 at 5:43 PM, teresitaboy said:

are the pools on royal princess salt water?

No. Fresh water. Normally only highend lines use salt water. We've done Oceania several times & they are salt water. Do love the buoyancy & lack of chlorine smell of salt water pools.

• Like 1