Easing of Canadian entry requirement expected by the end of September.

GeorgeCharlie

The expected relaxation of COVID-19 requirements appears to be coming. An article in The Globe and Mail outlines what they feel is going to happen.

"The federal government plans to drop the COVID-19 vaccine requirement for people who enter Canada by the end of September, the same day it ends random testing of arrivals and makes optional the ArriveCan app, The Globe and Mail has learned.

The changes, for arrivals at land, air and sea ports of entry, are planned for Sept. 30, but have yet to be finalized by cabinet, according to four sources The Globe is not naming because they are not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.

The mask requirement for people on trains and planes will remain in place, at the direction of Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos, according to two of the sources.

The aviation and travel industries have been pushing the government to relax the rules that cover international travel, saying they discourage visitors and are out of step with many other countries as the pandemic eases.

The United States requires all entrants to be vaccinated, and it is not known if the requirement will be lifted at the same time as Canada’s."

Canada to make ArriveCan optional, drop COVID-19 vaccine requirement at the border by Sept. 30: sources - The Globe and Mail

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You may not have to get tested in order to get into Canada, but unfortunately, there is a good chance the cruise lines will keep in place the requirement of a negative test prior to boarding. For now, it is still good PR against all the negative press regarding cruising which still exists!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

You may not have to get tested in order to get into Canada, but unfortunately, there is a good chance the cruise lines will keep in place the requirement of a negative test prior to boarding. For now, it is still good PR against all the negative press regarding cruising which still exists!!

Respectfully disagree. Cruise lines have removed the testing requirement for all destinations that do not require it. Why would they keep it just for Canada?  

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

I flew in and out of Canada on the 10th & 17th. (Dallas to Calgary & back)

No one asked to see my ArriveCan QR code at either airport. Is that normal?

I have traveled quite a bit this year and have kept my mouth shut but I have rarely been asked to show any documentation including test results.  I think I have been asked 3 times out of 15 or so where I should have been asked. The three were embarking in Fort Lauderdale, embarking in Montreal and flying to the US from the Netherlands.  All other intermediate requirements or other locations I was given a wink and a nod.  As a matter of fact all of my Covid tests were a wink and a nod. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

Yes, that’s normal.  The CBSA already sees it attached to your passport electronically, so no need to ask for it.  If you did VeriFLY they can see it there electronically.  On our cruise last week we were asked to not only show it via VeriFLY, but to write it down on a form they left in our room and drop it at Guest Services or leave it for the room steward.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Coolcruise02 said:

If you filled out Arrive Can then it is linked to your passport and they don't need to see the QR code separately.  But they do know if you completed ArriveCan

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I read somewhere that we would have to show or scan the QR code at some point.

As far as the VeriFly, I gave up on that app when we went to Amsterdam in June.

Everything I read said we had to use it and even got an email from our airline. I tried and gave up! No one asked for it either.

2 hours ago, westcoaster said:

I wonder how long until the U.S. drops its requirement for visitors entering the country to be vaccinated.

I wonder if they are checking vaccine cards for all of those people crossing our southern border.  Just a little tongue in cheek.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coolcruise02 said:

3 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If you filled out Arrive Can then it is linked to your passport and they don't need to see the QR code separately.  But they do know if you completed ArriveCan

Funny thing...I drove across the border from Skagway last week and I was not asked to prove vaccination.  It wasn't until later that day I realized I also did not file an ArriveCan for that border crossing.  My active ArriveCan was reflective of our Victoria stop several days later.  

• Like 1

Hi

We have just been advised by Holland America we need a PCR test 72 hours before embarkation in Vancouver on 2nd October.

It seems this will cost us upward of $300 if we can find a suitable testing venue.

We are flying in from Australia on 28th September. What do you advise???

58 minutes ago, margail1 said:

Hi

We have just been advised by Holland America we need a PCR test 72 hours before embarkation in Vancouver on 2nd October.

It seems this will cost us upward of $300 if we can find a suitable testing venue.

Use a proctored Antigen test (Emed, Total Testing Solutions, etc.).  The maximum cost is less than $30 per person. These tests generally need to be completed within 48 hours of embarkation as opposed to the PCR test.  We are boarding in Seattle on 10/2 and will be using the proctored Emed.com test.

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 1

Oops, replied at the same time as @Btimmer!!

Hello @margail1.  Are you embarking on the Panama Canal cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam or Noordam on October 2nd?  I'm getting ready to leave early tomorrow, so can't dig deeper to help you but start here:

If you are vaccinated, Canada will also accept a rapid antigen test within  two days of embarkation. (See the ArriveCAN official Canada requirements in the link below.)  You could do one online with your own approved covid test which is what I'm doing.  ($18 plus test kit cost which was free from US government at OnPoint Testing site) or go to one of the covid test sites in Vancouver. Google will list them.  The rapid antigen tests are much cheaper than PCR.

COVID-19: Cruise ship travel requirements – Travel.gc.ca

Travel to Canada: Requirements for COVID-19 vaccinated travellers

Here's a link to the roll calls for Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  If not already on it I suggest reading it because it should have lots of info on the requirements for ArriveCAN and the pre boarding testing info.

Good luck and if you are on Nieuw Amsterdam, I'll see you on the 2nd!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, margail1 said:

Hi

Life centers.ca offers a proctored test $30.00 Cdn.  You have to supply your own test kit. Available free from most pharmacies in Vancouver.  Need to have a tablet etc in order to view the test.  Results in about 1/2 hour.  You will be asking for the Rapid Antigen and not the PCR test.  Suggest you book soon. September 29 is a good date 

9 hours ago, julia said:

I've been following this closely on several news outlets, as we're scheduled to test with OnPoint on the 30th, fly to Vancouver on the 1st, and sail on the 2nd of October.  Fingers crossed.  🤞🙏

Keeping fingers crossed with you, as we've stressed over this for the past month. 😣

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Well, that took a bit longer than I expected, but there are still cruises to Alaska in October that maybe able to benefit from the reduced restrictions if the cruise lines elect to update their protocols. 

This will help on our cruise to Hawaii from Vancouver in October. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Respectfully disagree. Cruise lines have removed the testing requirement for all destinations that do not require it. Why would they keep it just for Canada?  

Respectfully disagree - you are in error.  Testing is required on our cruise embarking in Spain.  Spain does not require testing to enter.  The “reason” is that it’s a trans ocean cruise however neither the country we embark in nor the country we disembark in require testing.

So the cruise line can still require testing if they deem it necessary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Respectfully disagree - you are in error.  Testing is required on our cruise embarking in Spain.  Spain does not require testing to enter.  The “reason” is that it’s a trans ocean cruise however neither the country we embark in nor the country we disembark in require testing.

So the cruise line can still require testing if they deem it necessary.

That certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been in error. Thanks for pointing to another possibility.

For clarity;  are you sure that your cruise does not stop at any destination requiring pre-testing? Cruise ships have been requiring testing IF any country on the itinerary requires testing (not just embarkation and debarkation ports). Example, does your cruise stop in Bermuda (or currently Canada) which are some of the very last destinations with any protocols left at all?

Another possible reason is that Spain DOES require pre-testing for anyone without a vaccination. So maybe that plays into your itineraries unique requirement?

Also, some cruise lines have required testing for trans-ocean cruises presumably  because passengers are spending so much time away from access to advanced health care.  A unique itinerary with unique protocols. 

I would never argue that cruise lines CAN still require testing if they deem it necessary, but I think it's important to point out that they have NOT deemed it necessary in 99% of itineraries sailing.

I suspect cruise ship requirements for Canada will fall in line with the 99% but time will tell.

• Like 1