The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 26th, 2022

richwmn

Today is European Day of Languages, Johnny Appleseed Day, and Family Day

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.--Mahatma Gandhi, All Men are Brothers; Autobiographical Reflections

Meal Suggestion for today - Agua de Jamaica
Drink of the Day - Fancy Bourbon Punch
Wine of the Day - Le Grand Courtage Brut Rosé, France
Destination of the Day - Iraklion (Crete), Greece

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/27

Nieuw Statendam

Saguenay, Canada 8am - 6pm

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Kotor, Montenegro 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord eta 09/27

Volendam

Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Cruz 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/27

Zaandam

Bar Harbour, Maine

Zuiderdam

Skagway, Alaska

0925World.thumb.png.52feac63a48ecdc68bb12d0dc4c6453a.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Monday Fleet and Daily Report.

Cool and rainy today, we could get up to 50mm (2 inches) of rain today and tonight.🙁

The armed forces are being sent to Eastern Canada to help with the clean up from Fiona.

Interesting days, I wish I could speak more than 1 language, I love apples and families are important.

Love the quote.

Not sure what the meal is, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I hope the drink is tasty.  I hope the wine isn't too expensive or too sweet.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I like all 3 of today's days and certainly admire Gandhi's wisdom.  I see the Zaandam on AIS headed into Halifax and find it hard to imagine they are in a position to accommodate her; that seems like a miracle.  Agua de Jamaica sounds more like a drink than a meal.  My alternative is Strawberry Bisque, Boston Lager Flat Iron Steak, and Pineapple Crisp as served September 26, 2017 on MS Oosterdam.

dishes26.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP MissG DFIL 9/22/22
Western wildfires  and those in Fiona’s wake
Threat from Ian
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
From the rotation:
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Camila dad checking in and safe
Welcome home cate1
last week of work for kplady
dfish and Sue finding a house they like
5 days for HorizoCn Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
3 days for LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS 9/29 to 10/8)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
0106 covering menus for dfish
Welcome home Norseh2o, Oceansaway17, and Vict0riann
fatcat04 (Nieuw Statendam to 10/2), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 11

Agua de Jamaica belongs to the beverage department. Agua de Jamaica which translates as “hibiscus water” is a typical agua fresca to accompany the mid-day meal in Mexico. It is sweet, tart, delicious and really a refreshing drink all at the same time.

You prepare it by steeping hibiscus (not the ornamental ones) flowers, called flor de jamaica to produce a concentrate that you dilute with water and sweeten with sugar. Jamaica is a great alternative to soda.

Jamaica is full of vitamin C, minerals and has many health benefits including lowering blood pressure, reduce levels of sugar and fats in blood, reduces inflammation and other amazing uses.

It is extremely easy to make.  I selected recipes based on the photographs.  The only real decision is would you like it sweet or tart? Mexicans tend to prefer their agua de jamaica very sweet. If you add the full ½ cup of sugar called for in the recipe to make a pitcher of jamaica it will be sweet like served in Mexico.  If you prefer it on the tart side only add ¼ cup of sugar per pitcher.

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/agua-de-jamaica-hibiscus-tea/

Flor de Jamaica (Dried Hibiscus Flowers) in Ceramic Bowl

https://www.muydelish.com/agua-fresca-de-jamaica-hibiscus-water/

Three glasses with agua de jamaica drink garnished with mint on a wooden tray.

https://muybuenocookbook.com/agua-de-jamaica-hibiscus-tea/

Serving Agua de Jamaica or Hibiscus Tea outside with a beautiful background

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for the Daily Fleet Report. Two former co-workers of mine live in the Maritimes.  One  on PEI and the other  in Nova Scotia.  They are both posting on Facebook.  Both of them have generators.  The guy in Nova Scotia posted yesterday morning that his  power was out but the generator worked, so he was fine.   A few hours later he posted that power had been restored to the area he lived in. The other guy on PEI also  posted how much of the island was without power.  He hasn't posted about power being restored yet.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Roy thank you for so diligently keeping our lists. 

I needed a long sleeved shirt this morning. It was downright cool. But felt oh so good. Today is the day that the weather gurus hope to call Ian. I sure hope he fizzles out. 

Off to the gym, then prepping for a visit from Stanley Steemer tomorrow. Add in some Bindi walks, laundry and perhaps a dip in the pool and my day is complete. 

And Led Zeppelin…

1144902A-A064-446B-80CD-07298F0CD454.jpeg.de38d4a943748268a6936a714e55f5a4.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone!

Le Grand Courtage Brut Rosé

An interesting rosé. Might try it for a celebration. It is widely available and reasonably priced. Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $14.34.

Winemaker Notes

Fresh and fruity with aromas of young strawberry, raspberry and notes of lilac and violets. Deliciously seductive. Smooth and versatile. Perfectly balanced with just a hint of fruit and floral on the finish. A courtship of delicate flavors, red fruit aromas and baby bubbles. This rosé compliments an array of foods. Try it with spicy Asian dishes, risotto, BBQ, beef, lamb, duck, game, chicken, prosciutto, seafood, pizza or soft cheese (like brie or goat).

TP93 Tasting Panel
This sparkling rosé—a blend of 45% Chardonnay, 40% Ugni Blanc, and 15% Gamay—opens up with perfumed lilac and red berries. Bubbles burst with raspberry and wild strawberry before the palate gets into gear with racy acidity and an inherent freshness.
WW90 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
The Le Grand Courtâge Grande Cuvée Brut Rosé is fragrant, enticing, and easy on the palate. TASTING NOTES: This wine brings a steady mousse of red fruits from its aroma to a savory spice touch on the flavors. Serve it with grilled chicken over penne pasta.
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 8

48 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Shows how quickly things get changed (updated). A half hour ago MT showed Zaandam headed for Bar Harbour.

I was really just surprised that Halifax could handle a cruise ship.  I was thinking they would need at least a week to recover.

Roy

• Like 23

Good afternoon from a sunny 56°F North East England.

I saw my joint doctor again this morning and I have to go back Wednesday for blood tests.

Thank you for today's fleet reports,daily and various lists Rich and Roy.

We have learned a little Spanish as it shows respect when we visit Spain even though most people in the tourist region's speak English.

I think everyone should be able to forgive whether they are weak or strong.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have visited Herakleion in Crete on a cruise ship.

Prayers for everyone caught in the hurricane weather.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone,

Thank you, Rich, for the Daily and Fleet Report and to Roy for the List.

Interesting collection of days.  I speak fluent Spanish and a bit of Italian.  It is interesting that I am of Italian heritage but as a child never wanted to speak Italian to my Grandmother. Now I regret not doing so.  I would be fluent.

I am fluent in Spanish.  It was my major, and used it in my work. it was certainly an asset in moving ahead in my work.

As for Family, I wish we had some family.  Both my DH and I have no family left.  It is just the two of us and we feel the loss tremendously.  

I like the quote and feel that forgiveness is very important—especially for the person who was hurt.  

The meal sounds interesting, and I like the wine.  

I have not been to Crete.

Today we are going to pack up and leave this comfortable condo.  It is located on one of the Sea Islands near Beaufort, SC.  It is very low country here and we feel that if we get a storm surge we will not be able to get out. So we will go back to our house and make the best of it.  We also have some doctor appointments this week and it will be easier to get to them.  

We still do not have any idea how Ian will impact us, but it will.

As for getting to Barbados, we are not sure we will be able to get to Jacksonville on Sunday.  We are going to try but not sure whether we will be able to drive there.  It will depend on the driving conditions on Sunday, Oct. 2.  Then we will have to contend with Airline cancellations on Oct. 3. 

So we will see what happens.

So we have our work cut out for us today.

Prayers for everyone who are in the path of Ian.  Stay safe and follow the instructions of the authorities.  That is your best bet.

Cheers to those cruising and celebrating.  

Have a good day and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days.  Families are worthy of celebration daily.  I think I will celebrate the Day of Languages and start my promised brushing up on my Spanish (I used to be bilingual but have been spoiled with DH).  I’ve been procrastinating on that.

B99D8B7C-88EA-4A98-B5EC-AF12947F340E.thumb.jpeg.c58f92562a21a8faa0d82bec9dbf3177.jpeg

I like that quote of Gandhi’s. @0106 thanks for today’s recipe.  I love hibiscus 👍 We really enjoyed visiting Iraklion  - gorgeous!

Looks like we have another weather system that is going to bless us with lots of rain (we need that like a hole in the head), T-storms and even some hail.  Really glad I worked at clean up as long as I did yesterday despite the aches and pains. Sadly, the T-storms will slow down the much needed restoration for many.  I need more coffee to face all the devastating news.

5FAB04EB-FD5E-419B-B07E-7D0DBD7476D9.jpeg.6d1b757f90b8f2d56d3a9771903ededb.jpeg

56 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

The other guy on PEI also  posted how much of the island was without power.  He hasn't posted about power being restored yet.  

Unfortunately,  PEI has a ways to go before they get their power back.  Something like 300 power poles down.  The army is coming along with hydro workers from Ontario to help the most badly damaged areas - including PEI.  

Guess with the rain I will attempt to finish the re-organization upstairs, clean and then maybe, just maybe I can start to figure out what to pack and put it out in the guest bedroom.  

49AAE0F9-77A0-4251-B38C-3922CAAA036F.jpeg.e2856f87ecd9741849270d6ee793f73e.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those in the path of Ian and for those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory/ Shout Out list.

Have a good Monday everyone !!!!!

BBF4430C-E1C6-46A5-9EA6-2F40E989A879.thumb.jpeg.c67bf1dac5edd941f2d3cbcb56c44190.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  Prayers for all of you in Florida.  Please stay safe!

I have been enjoying the cooler weather, DH ? not so much, so at night the ceiling fan has been turned off, and I lie there melting with assorted furballs (cats) lying on me so that they can get warm.  And when I need to get up in the middle of the night, I have to slide underneath them to get out of bed, and returning to bed requires sliding in between them to find a spot.  Why they cant sleep between us I will never know.  No wonder i wake up sore and achy.

30d203871b47010ccc6107dc2d703700--start-with--beds.jpg

Something I ate yesterday did not agree with me, so this morning I am a bit slow, and as I am the world's greatest procrastinator, I did nothing yesterday that i was supposed to do, and it must be done this morning.

I've been rehired as the dog walker, but she gave me a raise, I don't know what kind of raise, but apparently when she tried to hire a dog walker, she found out that no one works for 5 buck a day.  I also told her that if the doctors appointments are in the middle of the day,  I will let her know that she is responsible for the dog that day.  

Last year I found out that I can get free tickets to a concert series at Emory University,  so yesterday I signed up for this season too.  They are on Fridays at noon.  About 6 times a year.  These are days I wont walk the dog either.😉

eed0c2d3125d5570f9f93b91f8442843.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 7

@rafinmd Thanks for continuing my DSIL on the Rotation List. She did have her first chemo infusion Friday. Chemo is planned every third week for a year.  My DH talked with his sister yesterday. She was very tired but having no other side effects. Before her next chemo appt, she has 8 other medical appts related to the melanoma. I'm 20 years younger and that schedule makes my head spin. No wonder she's tired!

-Melisa

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

Good morning everyone.I love the quote today.Will be with our family this afternoon after watching synagogue services on line. We will celebrate the Jewish New Year with apples and honey and other sweet food as a tradition wishing everyone a sweet year. I also wish for health, happiness and peace. 
Praying for my friends in Florida who are in the path of Ian. 
Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

A beautiful Saguenay sunrise for all our Dailyites. Dh and I are enjoying coffee on our chilly balcony all bundled up. Such a lovely place. 

IMG_20220926_064358069_HDR.jpg

Glad to see you made it.  Saguenay has one of the best welcoming groups that we have ever experienced. Here’s the web cam.

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/canada/quebec/saguenay-la-baie.html

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 22

Good Monday morning!   It is 50 degrees here and will be jacket weather when we head to Grand Rapids Costco for DF's eye appointment.   Too cool and possibly wet this AM to work outside.   

Thank you for all the work to pull the Daily Reports together.  I love Gandhi's quote.    Pass on the drink, waiting on the cocktail.  The Grand Courtege Brut is often featured on BHB's wine list if I recall.  I have not been to today's port but look forward to beautiful photos of Grecian seas.   

Asking for a quick single time prayer for my dear friend from the lake.  This is the first year he didn't come up and since has moved to TN.  He called yesterday to tell me he broke his hip.  Please say a single prayer for my friend Frank age 97 for healing No need for him to be on our list. .  I texted with him last night after the Packers game and he sounded in good spirits.   Photo from 2020 our last dinner together for the season at our local tavern.   

Frank Elaine Nancy 2020.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning friends!  We went for a walk in the dark this morning around the neighborhood.  Just over 2.6 miles.  Looks like my part of Georgia is expecting rain Friday and Saturday from Ian.  I'm not that worried about it here, but am concerned about Tampa.  Hoping DGD is prepared and safe in her apartment there.  🙏 

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor the Fleet Report and Daily.  Watching Volendam on its journey and sorry to hear Zaandam will be hopscotching around this cruise.  As long as they stay out of the storm!  I'm happy to celebrate Family Day and apples as well as Johnny Appleseed.  European day of languages is interesting.  Agua de Jamaica is another food item I have never heard of before.  Thanks for the explanation Tina @0106.  A good quote for the day.  Iraklion which is also commonly known as Heraklion was our port of the day on Sept. 2, 2021.  Here is the link to that day's post in order to retrieve photos.

Here is what I posted about Heraklion back then.

I had to check our 2014 Prinsendam Holy Land cruise itinerary to see if I had actually been to Iraklion (Heraklion), Greece.  Yes, we had on Oct. 30, 2014.  So I looked at the photo book I made to see what the story was for that port.  Apparently it rained very hard, but we and our two friends walked off the ship anyway.  I don't remember much except I believe we stood under an overhang for a while to escape the downpour.  Luckily it didn't rain hard all day so we were able to walk around the town some.  This would be a great port for a re-visit so I can learn more about it and see things through fresh eyes.

Iraklion, or Heraklion Greece.  This is the Koules fortress on the western pier of the harbor.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLin-wG9icW5ITIryMqpOr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774644

It appears that you should build with what you have, so they did.  Must be a lot of rock/stone here!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyWdgKNk-zdikqMOQxIciq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774569

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUtTtoX6AgErF-uAj9YCiN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774575

The Town Hall also called the Venetian Loggia00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL2BB3G-OP2JdJZAho8G3IL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774578

A marketplace00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKrJLKw_Y_5eUELZmgS2_Eg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774587

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKc87xM6eOr2UjHNGL_lO9k?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774594

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNDkh3jjU5YNu3NvKKBbfg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774597

STAY!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNTwGuP8DskJF3OEweJsMV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774606

A good place for people watching00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_Wi0dJNR44NnjulPFBFCI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774599

The Cathedral of Saint Minas is a magnificent Greek Orthodox cathedral which took 33 years to build due to major political interruptions.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK-rFQ2Eb1sKmigAP_5z4na?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774609

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIqFdc_vKitAW_Ca05iRbTm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774611

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNFvq-ydeO88SaquPn9VpK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774612

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJsKC6KY9qs73j4Wc0OYj_B?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774630

Can you believe the woodwork?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJd09qO0umlCPtD-gaYLIr3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774631

It's beautiful inside.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIGziIBJcGOAPXjpKWVqZes?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774616

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjqwb0emk3bh_2xYawaF8q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774619

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIncfSrCxQCpkGO8yf1QFKm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774622

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJmAFcC6rPe92viCX6XqINV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774624

As we left you see the front elevation.  The rain had stopped!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJIveGL6jwwYlm7zWxwDsBW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774640

This is the older, smaller Saint Minas.  It was too small to meet the needs of the community  so they built the larger cathedral next to it.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK6Y3GQLZvkhRJ6n_llR4tj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1416774641

Yes, I'd like to go back.  I'm sure there's plenty of things we missed that day.  Watch for Iraklion or Heraklion on your Greek itineraries.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all on the Care list as well as those affected by Fiona and Ian, flooding and wildfires, my neighbor Linda, and the people of Ukraine.  Cheers for those on the Celebration list.  Hooray for you all!  Can't wait to hear more from Debbie @dfishon her home offer.  Good luck to Terri @Cruzin Terriand DH this week.  Hope it all works out for your anniversary vacation.  Have a wonderful Monday!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and I’ll take it on the tart side. @0106 thanks for sharing the pictures and recipes.  I was successful in getting the flu shot yesterday and DH got his at the hospital this morning.  Everyone that works at the hospital is required to get one.  They’ll be in effect for our upcoming cruise.  I put away a few window fans this morning and found two dead mice in the traps.  It’s that time of year so I’ll be baiting some news ones this morning and putting them in the attic.  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

image.thumb.png.81f754ae165d127d1303978226e706b8.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good  morning. It is only 56 so far but the sun is shining.We had a major thunderstorm last night which got every dog in every house barking.It reminded me of either "101 Dalmatians " or "Lady and the Tramp".

DD made us a honey apple cake for our dessert  last night.We are planning a traditional  Rosh Hashanah  meal for tonight.I tried a new brisket recipe and have my fingers crossed that it is good!

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the pictures of Crete.I would love to go there!

@Cruzin Terri, I am so hoping you will be able to get to your flight and ultimately  to Barbados.

@kazu, The clean up process looks formidable. Try not to wear yourself out.This is from a woman who often does just that!

I am in the Cardiologist's office waiting for DH. It is a long appointment  today so I am glad they let others inside  to wait now.3 hours is too long to sit in the car.

Prayers  for those in Ian's  path.It looks gnarly.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2