Early Disembarking with Overnight Port

Gorsline

Hi, I am cruising next summer on the Prima and the cruise ends with two days in Reykjavik. Looking at the available flights most of the ones I would want to take out that day leave around 10:00A.M. Normally I wouldn't even consider this, but since it's an overnight at this port, is there a way I will be able to get off the ship earlier, like at 6AM?

The ship is clear of immigration and customs requirements when you are allowed to go ashore the first day you arrive. You can leave at that point, if you wish.

You will have to carry your luggage off on your own if you depart prior to the standard departure schedule.

1 hour ago, Gorsline said:

Hi, I am cruising next summer on the Prima and the cruise ends with two days in Reykjavik. Looking at the available flights most of the ones I would want to take out that day leave around 10:00A.M. Normally I wouldn't even consider this, but since it's an overnight at this port, is there a way I will be able to get off the ship earlier, like at 6AM?

We are on the cruise that ends in Reykjavik that starts 8/6 next summer. If you are on the same one, join our roll call.

Norwegian Prima 11-Day Northern Europe from London to Reykjavik August 6, 2023 - August 17, 2023 - Norwegian Prima Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by ontheweb
added link to the roll call

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

The ship is clear of immigration and customs requirements when you are allowed to go ashore the first day you arrive. You can leave at that point, if you wish.

That's not quite correct.

You are not fully cleared for customs purposes until you actually are taking your belongings off the ship and the country in which you are disembarking has the right to inspect your baggage when you are leaving the ship.

In order to disembark in the early morning you have to advise the ship that you intend to do so and they will determine whether customs officials will be available at that hour to screen you if they wish . Probably it will be OK but there's no guarantee that it will be.

34 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Who ends a cruise in Reykjavik and doesn’t spend a few land days exploring? Kind of a waste of airfare.

There were many times when I flew home from interesting places on disembarkation day because I just didn't have the time to stay . Job or family obligations took precedence over additional vacationing. Not 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Who ends a cruise in Reykjavik and doesn’t spend a few land days exploring? Kind of a waste of airfare.

The cruise has an overnight in Reykjavik before disembarkation. (Also for us we have previously done a land trip to Reykjavik.)

4 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That's not quite correct.

You are not fully cleared for customs purposes until you actually are taking your belongings off the ship and the country in which you are disembarking has the right to inspect your baggage when you are leaving the ship.

In order to disembark in the early morning you have to advise the ship that you intend to do so and they will determine whether customs officials will be available at that hour to screen you if they wish . Probably it will be OK but there's no guarantee that it will be.

Customs in most countries today is barely done. Certainly in the EU oriented countries, like Iceland, with their red/green door situation.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Customs in most countries today is barely done. Certainly in the EU oriented countries, like Iceland, with their red/green door situation.

True: it is "barely done" - but it is still done, at times -- and you have no assurance that it will not be done -- so you should not just "walk straight through" without some indication that you may walk straight through.

• Like 1

Many is the time when customs came on board a ship and had a  cursory search. Nothing found. Then 'Jack the Lad' would retrieve his hidden stash and leave the ship ... only to get stopped at the port entrance where a proper search would take place. 😁

This once happened with a crew bus doing a full crew change.