Storm Questions

Cruise a holic

If you cannot cruise due to a Hurricane and do not have travel insurance, does Celebrity give you a credit?  While I typically do not sail during hurricane season, just curious about the protocols.  You might not be able to fly into the cruise port, or sail to desired destinations.  Anybody know what options one could expect.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

If you cannot cruise due to a Hurricane and do not have travel insurance, does Celebrity give you a credit?  While I typically do not sail during hurricane season, just curious about the protocols.  You might not be able to fly into the cruise port, or sail to desired destinations.  Anybody know what options one could expect.

Thanks

If Celebrity cancels they issue a credit.  Otherwise the financial obligation is all yours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Thanks

Another reason to always have travel insurance. 

The cruise lines rarely cancel.   They may delay a departure by a day or change itinerary to avoid a storm but usually cruise life goes on.

A couple years ago we were on a B2B from Vancouver to Tokyo and then the immersion cruise.   There was a typhoon approaching and on B2B day we got an early call to meet in the lounge that all B2B's were being evacuated from the ship and would spend a night in a hotel.   Evidently the storm was approaching to fast and would not have time to load all new passengers prior to the port closing.    Next morning they shuttled us back to the ship and the cruise continued.   All guest received a FCC in the amount of one night of their room. 

• Thanks 1

If the track really does go over Tampa as was suggested by the weather wonks yesterday, guess it's a good thing Connie is in Europe.

I could well imagine a cruise delay or cancellation if departure port infrastructure is severely damaged. 

Again, re Tampa, Serenade will start service again out of Tampa 'soon', but that's 2nd week of October, I think.

Edited by canderson
Typoz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

could well imagine a cruise delay or cancellation if departure port infrastructure is severely damaged. 

Cruise lines are quite adept at changing ports of embarkation or debarkation and every port in between.  Weather and high seas disruptions have been common since cruising began. I got married at a planned port stop in St Thomas before I realized how frequent port changes are in the industry. I probably wouldn’t do that again. My wife says “thanks.”

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

If the track really does go over Tampa as was suggested by the weather wonks yesterday, guess it's a good thing Connie is in Europe.

I could well imagine a cruise delay or cancellation if departure port infrastructure is severely damaged. 

Again, re Tampa, Serenade will start service again out of Tampa 'soon', but that's 2nd week of October, I think.

I would agree that if there is major infrastructure damage or even if the city is struggling they might shift to another port.   That would really be a challenge.

I hope all in Florida stay safe and find a good refuge. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would agree that if there is major infrastructure damage or even if the city is struggling they might shift to another port.   That would really be a challenge.

I hope all in Florida stay safe and find a good refuge. 

We subscribe electronically to the Washington Post.  Today the Post  re-published an article they originally published several years ago.  Very interesting reading.  Depending on the track Tampa may be in for a world of hurt.

And I also wish those in Florida well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

Cruise lines are quite adept at changing ports of embarkation or debarkation and every port in between.  Weather and high seas disruptions have been common since cruising began. I got married at a planned port stop in St Thomas before I realized how frequent port changes are in the industry. I probably wouldn’t do that again. My wife says “thanks.”

Intermediate ports, yes, of course.  Happens all the time. 

Embarkation, OTOH, and I'm talking Tampa again,  could be very difficult to manage on short notice - especially now with thin supply chains.  Finding an empty berth on the E Florida coast when operating out of Tampa and switching up provisioning logistics on embarkation day could prove challenging, not to mention moving thousands across the state to E Florida.  

As I say, it's fortunate that Serenade hasn't started winter operations there yet and won't for a few weeks yet.  Then again, we can hope instead that Tampa doesn't get hammered to begin with and it's all moot.

• Like 1

Sometime 15 to 20 years ago, unrelated to Katrina, the Mississippi rose and cruise ships couldn’t fit under the bridge. All the sailings from there had to relocate down river.

Sometimes relocations are weather or labor related. Not sure where they’d move Tampa sailings to but I’m sure there’s a plan in the books. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

Wow - at the moment, they have it making landfall sometime Wednesday evening as a Cat 4 somewhere N of Ft. Myers, S of Tampa.

ian.jpg

Scary. That’s a powerful storm with a lot of people in its path.