Earning Higher Award "Status"

Ret MP

As much as I dislike Carnival, well documented here, they do award your newly achieved status during the entire cruise you earn it on.  Yes, if you are on a 10 day cruise with Carnival and you achieve a new status on the 10th day, you get the status, perks, and card throughout the whole cruise.

On Royal, you don't get the "Status" until the next booking after earning enough points.

Just wondering, because Carnival and Royal are the only cruise lines I have experience with, how other cruise lines do it.

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

As much as I dislike Carnival, well documented here, they do award your newly achieved status during the entire cruise you earn it on.  Yes, if you are on a 10 day cruise with Carnival and you achieve a new status on the 10th day, you get the status, perks, and card throughout the whole cruise.

On Royal, you don't get the "Status" until the next booking after earning enough points.

Just wondering, because Carnival and Royal are the only cruise lines I have experience with, how other cruise lines do it.

That is nice.  

20 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

It just is what it is. Same reason Carnival calls their buffet one thing and Royal calls it another. 

In my opinion, not the same.  Royal actually give you meaningful (subjective, of course) discounts, like in the shops in the Promenade, discounts on fare, free drinks, and lounges.  Could be more that I'm not remembering.  Carnival may have one or two of those but I don't remember they having them.  So, in my mind, at least, it's more than just differing names of a perk.

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

In my opinion, not the same.  Royal actually give you meaningful (subjective, of course) discounts, like in the shops in the Promenade, discounts on fare, free drinks, and lounges.  Could be more that I'm not remembering.  Carnival may have one or two of those but I don't remember they having them.  So, in my mind, at least, it's more than just differing names of a perk.

Agree rcl much much better perks. 2 free days of wifi, solo discount for me is big. I should get upgraded toiletries, shampoo and stuff. Got 4 tubes on grandeur. Bogo pay restaurant and carnival at their top level gives ONE free pay restaurant  .. not ongoing, just one time. Free laundry bag matches carnival.  Free photo. Amenity gifts vs a amenity plastic luggage tag on carnival. I do like carnival gives me priority disembark off the ship rcl doesnt do. Just that one thing. 

I do hear carnival is looking to upgrade their loyalty program. It needs it. Not worth anything. I like money off balcony and solo fare a lot.

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Agree rcl much much better perks. 2 free days of wifi, solo discount for me is big. I should get upgraded toiletries, shampoo and stuff. Got 4 tubes on grandeur. Bogo pay restaurant and carnival at their top level gives ONE free pay restaurant  .. not ongoing, just one time. Free laundry bag matches carnival.  Free photo. Amenity gifts vs a amenity plastic luggage tag on carnival. I do like carnival gives me priority disembark off the ship rcl doesnt do. Just that one thing. 

I do hear carnival is looking to upgrade their loyalty program. It needs it. Not worth anything. I like money off balcony and solo fare a lot.

Their Suite Perks aren't much to write home about, either.

3 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

You couldn't pay me to sail on Carnival.   Don't care for the demographic.   

When I was fiercely  loyal to Carnival and in John Heald's blog a lot, I would get down right rude with people that said, "Carnival is the Walmart of cruising".  After cruising on Royal, I see, somewhat, what they are sayin.  However, that doesn't mean that Royal or other cruise line don't have their share or some of the "sub-humans".  

We have taken just 1 Carnival cruise in the USA and that was because we wanted the itinerary.  We decided we probably wouldn't try it again.  However, last spring while in Europe we saw a Carnival cruise that was just too good to ignore -- both for itinerary and price -- so we jumped on it at the last minute.  We had been told a European Carnival cruise was much different than one in the USA, especially if it is over a week long, and we have to agree.  We really enjoyed it.  It was very port intensive though, so we were off the ship every day except one.  

25 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

You couldn't pay me to sail on Carnival.   Don't care for the demographic.   

Based on experience?

The demographics aren't that different.  We've been on Carnival several times.

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I'm a baby Pinnacle with training wheels......the free wifi ROCKS!!  If the other cruise line doesn't have that, it's no-contest IMO.

Love...love...that perk!   The most important...IMHO.   And loving the snot out of that this year!!  

• Like 1