First Time on Edge Class - My Thoughts

TxnAquarian

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

If you enjoy the concept, including IV cabins, then these ships are for you.

After looking at vids, pics, I am absolutely sure I will love these ships. I'm pretty sure I won't be a fan of the IV (if I can't get a balcony stateroom), but I'm also very sure I will make due and it certainly won't ruin my cruise!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

After looking at vids, pics, I am absolutely sure I will love these ships. I'm pretty sure I won't be a fan of the IV (if I can't get a balcony stateroom), but I'm also very sure I will make due and it certainly won't ruin my cruise!

The one time I sailed E-class was in Retreat, so I didn't have to sacrifice a balcony. For me, there were other issues for sure, but the ship was undeniably gorgeous.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The one time I sailed E-class was in Retreat, so I didn't have to sacrifice a balcony. For me, there were other issues for sure, but the ship was undeniably gorgeous.

Yeh, I'm assuming I'll be solo for the trip...so no Retreat...but if DW tags along, I would definitely spring for the Retreat. Then no balcony concern as you said.

(I am doing a Retreat solo this Jan. as I got a great sale price...about the same price Princess was going to charge for an Obstructed View balcony!  DW as no interest in Caribbean...she been there done that in her earlier life...lol...) 

6 hours ago, RichYak said:

On Edge, the outdoor seating area immediately adjacent to Edge Cafe is starboard and was non-smoking.

Yes, D C agreed with you but I believe was talking about this area just outside Eden on the port side.

RX601050s.jpg

RX601051s.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D C said:

Same here. But why is the cute little shaded/sheltered area out the port side doors SMOKING??  "Here's a nice little space... let's ruin it" 

I'm a smoker and I appreciate having that nice little space 😊 . And we saw plenty of non-smokers there too. It's an area with good air flow and also has seating  forward of where the smokers sit. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

I'm a smoker and I appreciate having that nice little space 😊 . And we saw plenty of non-smokers there too. It's an area with good air flow and also has seating  forward of where the smokers sit. 

It's even better for smokers on the Beyond as the whole area is now smoking.

DSC03293s.jpg

Edited by JBare
typo

I only agree we also liked the Martini Bar in the M Class and S Class Ships.
We were on the Edge in July average age of the early '60s, also had the Aqua Class did not experience any noticeable noise issues anywhere (I am 69).  This was our 65th cruise maybe 15th with Celebrity we started cruising when we were 28 (our honeymoon) it just keeps getting better.
Loved it so much when we got home I canceled my April Trans Atlantic on the Reflection and booked Apex my SE Asia Cruise is on an S Class as none other is offered. As I said we also had the Aqua Class as all the suites were sold out. On the Apex we do have a suite and I am disappointed that they do not have the infinite veranda! Really YOU THINK?? slow and noisy to open and close...it takes maybe 60 seconds and mine you could hear but far from being noisy. 
Edited by southernbreezes
  • Like 1

I have sailed on over 30 X cruises, and absolutely love the Edge and Apex!  I do prefer a traditional balcony to the IV, but other than that, the E-class ships, to me, are wonderful.  I love the martini bar.  The "intimate setting" as described by others on the smaller class ships, to me, are always crowded--people jammed elbow to elbow.  The martini bar on the E-class ships have tons of seating and always have very good live entertainment pre-dinner.  The evening shows on the Edge, to me, are far superior to the smaller ships, better in concept, great live bands, etc.  Loved the "Rockumentary" show on the Edge.  They have so many games and trivia options, if that's your thing, you won't be disappointed.  Plus, the ships themselves are beautiful.  I can't tell you how many people we met onboard who, after being asked "How are you enjoying your cruise?" would respond with "We're blown away by this ship!"  Please don't decide you are going to have a disappointing cruise before you even get on one of these ships!

• Like 6

We've sailed in traditional verandah and ocean view staterooms on other lines and have been perfectly happy with our choices, but we knew what we were getting. There are things I like about the IV, and things I don't (not having sailed in one yet), but I consider it to be basically a fourth category (inside, ocean,  infinite verandah, verandah).  I know what I'm getting and I'll be OK with it. The rest of the ship will determine if I sail in an IV again. (i.e., do I like Edge Class overall?)

At the end of the day, I'm about the whole experience - our cruise is a Western Caribbean itinerary, which isn't my favorite, but I'm fine with it because we'll be with friends and I look forward to being on the water. There are also many things about Edge Class I'm excited to try, and I may well be fine with IV as a fourth booking category. If I can relax and have a good tine, Edge class is fine!

In terms of the overall aesthetic of the ship, given comments about how the Magic Carpet is so windy. I wonder if they've done studies to see if the drag created by MC reverses the savings created by the IVs!

• Like 1

I agree with OP 100%.  We do not care for the IV or all the open air places on the E-Class.  We did try it again in a suite & it felt like a completely different experience.  We will only sail E-Class going forward when a suite is possible.  My wife loves the art and design of E-Class but the balcony (and good AC) is too important of a part of our cruising experience.  I also prefer the smaller bar areas than the giant open bars like the martini bar or eden bar on E-Class.  Reminds me of those hotels near big convention centers (which then reminds me too much of work - the opposite of vacay 😂).  

But in the end we have choices which is great.  For us now, the S-Class is our preferred ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JBare said:

Yes, D C agreed with you but I believe was talking about this area just outside Eden on the port side.

RX601050s.jpg

RX601051s.jpg

That's the spot.  Hidden gem really, save for the smoking. 

On 10/2/2022 at 11:40 AM, NMTraveller said:

I would note that the suite guests seem to rank the ship higher than the non-suite guests.

I’ve been sailing =X= since 2000

(started on Mercury) both in suites and non-suites, and my Spring Edge TA (in an infinite veranda) was the first time I’ve felt I wasn’t “missing anything” by NOT being in the Retreat.

Yes, I enjoyed Edge that much! 

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 3

We are sailing with my cousin on the Apex in 2024.  We've only sailed Celebrity  once before  many years ago. She has only sailed Royal but picked Apex for the itinerary.

She didnt now about the iv balconies in Edge class  So, after discussing, she got the sunset veranda and we got the porthole veranda.  After sailing on other lines, I think we will be fine with the noise level but will skip the steakhouse.   Why has Eden Cafe been closed?  Staffing issues?

6 hours ago, SueMo said:

The "intimate setting" as described by others on the smaller class ships, to me, are always crowded--people jammed elbow to elbow.  The martini bar on the E-class ships have tons of seating and always have very good live entertainment pre-dinner.  The evening shows on the Edge, to me, are far superior to the smaller ships, better in concept, great live bands, etc. !

Yes you are right. My last S class cruise in April there was only 1,100 passengers so of course the Martini bar had lots of space and was very nice. We had 5 Aqua cabins on the Edge in my group all of us loved it. On a 7 day cruise I would book Aqua class again. Hooked on E-Class!

11 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

In terms of the overall aesthetic of the ship, given comments about how the Magic Carpet is so windy. I wonder if they've done studies to see if the drag created by MC reverses the savings created by the IVs!

Very very windy.  It does not reverse the fuel savings of the IVs,  but it does have some extra drag and is definitely not aerodynamic like the IVs.

39 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Very very windy.  It does not reverse the fuel savings of the IVs,  but it does have some extra drag and is definitely not aerodynamic like the IVs.

I'm highly skeptical of any fuel savings from IV aerodynamics. Hydrodynamic drag would overwhelm it 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

In terms of the overall aesthetic of the ship, given comments about how the Magic Carpet is so windy.

I know this thread is primarily about the Edge, but the other E class ships (Apex and Beyond) I think "fixed" the wind problem on the MC. I haven't sailed the Edge, but on the Apex I didn't find it windy. I remember reading an old post here (or somewhere) about a few architectural tweaks the Apex did and that was one of them.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nancycat said:

We are going on the Edge from Rome October 14, looking forward to a new experience, have been on Celebrity ships since they were Chandris !!

My sister got me hooked onto X. But she also started with Chandris. That was her first ever cruise & she’s stuck to X Since. 

3 hours ago, wineoclock said:

My sister got me hooked onto X. But she also started with Chandris. That was her first ever cruise & she’s stuck to X Since. 

My first cruise ever was on a Chandris ship, but I like Princess just as much as Celebrity.

• Like 1

Having sailed on the Edge previously, I was very impressed.  Had previously sailed on all other classes of celebrity ships.  The Edge class IMO is wonderful and unique.  We loved the suite deck and retreat.  We loved our s2 Sky suite.  The infinate balcony isn't really good.  Our friends in those cabins really didn't enjoy them.  Not a true balcony.  Really a window cabin.  The window sometimes opens, but the captain can close it.  Also, no AC if you have the "balcony" doors opens so the cabin gets very hot.  Perhaps that has changed on the Apex and Beyond.  We enjoy the restaurants on the Edge class and shopping- no cheesy trinkets  Nice to look in the high end stores.  We also enjoy the M and S class ships.

• Like 1

Agree 100% with OP. 
We were in the Retreat on Edge and, apart from the room, we were underwhelmed.

The Martini Bar is in the bowels of the ship. No windows.

The Martini Bar on Solstice Class is bright and airy with lots of passing traffic.

We couldn’t put our finger on it but it’s not for us.

Went on the Silhouette a few weeks ago and we felt like we were coming home.

• Like 4

On 10/3/2022 at 5:08 AM, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

The OP said they are in their 40s. I'm surprised you consider 40s the younger demographic.  I'm sitting here at 27 cruising with Celebrity.  I'm not even out of the cradle in your eyes I guess 😂

Good on you....I wish I was able to afford luxury cruises in my 20s! It took me 20 odd years of working to be able to!

3 hours ago, swjumbo said:

Agree 100% with OP. 
We were in the Retreat on Edge and, apart from the room, we were underwhelmed.

The Martini Bar is in the bowels of the ship. No windows.

The Martini Bar on Solstice Class is bright and airy with lots of passing traffic.

We couldn’t put our finger on it but it’s not for us.

Went on the Silhouette a few weeks ago and we felt like we were coming home.

We are Aqua on Silhouette in May & really looking forward to that cruise.