Currently on Sirens

oskidunker

Food has been good except anything chocolate is so bitter it’s hard to eat. Even the chocolate croissants are bitter. 

excursions are very rushed. I would book your own. Today in Copenhagen we took the Zealand castle 5.5 hour trip. Old French guy was the guide . Poor English, bad sound system and could not understand much of what he said. He never told us where we were going, how long it would take, how long we would be there and if we could get food. All he talked about was the Danish economy . 

complained to Oceania. So far no resolution. .

We are on this cruise too. 
I have to say I am enjoying the chocolate! I had a pain au chocolat yesterday and thought it was good. I’m sorry you aren’t enjoying it, Oskidunker, we all have different palates. Try the soufflé for dessert. Last night was limoncello and it was delicious.

Today we did our own thing in Copenhagen, walked 6.5 miles around the city and loved it.

We took an Oceania excursion in Zeebrugge, Bruges a mediaeval gem. Our guide was very good. He walked us round at a decent pace, we often had to trot to catch up as we were dawdling along enjoying the scenery. The trip included a canal cruise which was a bit dodgy because the boat “captain” forgot to tell us to duck for the low bridges, fortunately we all survived.

We have a ship excursion in Oslo and another in Kristiansand. We normally do our own thing but we had 3 free each as part of our package.

Service on board is fantastic, the staff are so friendly and willing to please.

We have been able to book a second date at Red Ginger tonight. I think it helped that we wanted to dine with some new friends and a table for 4 works better for them. 

Our room stewards are lovely. They are cleaning ninjas who sneak in, tidy the room and deliver chocolates every night. We are in a outside cabin. The bed is super comfy but the bathroom is super small! For this 10 day trip it’s fine. It definitely beats being at home!

• Like 3

Since I'm going to be on Sirena 11/18-28/22 in the E. Caribbean, just curious as to how crowded the ship felt. How many passengers aboard? We've got 3 sea days so hope to get a nice "bed" by the pool when I can. How was the food in the Terrace Cafe? Loved that on Riviera 12/21!

27 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Since I'm going to be on Sirena 11/18-28/22 in the E. Caribbean, just curious as to how crowded the ship felt. How many passengers aboard? We've got 3 sea days so hope to get a nice "bed" by the pool when I can. How was the food in the Terrace Cafe? Loved that on Riviera 12/21!

We were on the Sirena for 18 days the first part of Sept.   Great trip from Oslo, to London.  Went up to North Cape and back down.  Many port visits.  They varied from fantastic to less than good.  Sometimes it may be hard to understand thru accents, one time a poor sound system.  Other times just the opposite, well informed guide, easy to understand.  There were 520 passengers and it felt very uncrowded.  Since this was a northern European cruise and cool temps. there were hardly any people on the pool deck.  Most of the time I was the only one in the hot tub in the spa on the front of the ship.  So not a good indicator for a Caribbean cruise.   Terrace Cafe was good, but not as fantastic as the Riviera was this spring.  Lobster was precooked then reheated on the grill, on Riviera it was cooked from fresh.  Steaks were just OK, Riviera was great.   Other food was comparable to Riviera.

Regarding chocolate.   I think no difference between Nestles in the grocery store and Belgian chocolate.   We couldn't detect the slightest difference...  🙂 

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davencl said:

I think no difference between Nestles in the grocery store and Belgian chocolate.   We couldn't detect the slightest difference...  🙂 

I'm assuming with the smiley face you're joking.

Some people just don't like dark chocolate. My wife doesn't, so that works for me with the bedtime chocolates, I get both of them, but usually have them first thing in the morning. 

• Like 1

They used to used  Valrhona  (French) chocolate  in the desserts 

I agree with Orv  not everyone  likes dark chocolate

DH can eat the 90%  stuff  I am good at the 70%  dark chocolate

20 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I think there are 550 on board this current cruise. It hasn’t felt crowded at all. I have only been swimming once and I was on my own in the pool. Hot tubs are busier.

Terrace cafe food has been very good at lunchtime and the German buffet dinner was fabulous. They did sushi one lunch and it was great. Some of the soup choices are a bit odd. Today it was salmon tamarind soup. I didn’t try it as I don’t like tamarind. The Caesar salad is excellent. Tossed to order and you can select what you want. I had it with no croutons and extra anchovies. Maybe that’s not what aficionados would call Caesar salad!

• Like 2

You'll have a new exec chef by then, not sure what's going on now will be applicable.  Food in waves inedible for the most part, last Oct on marina the best, juiciest burger at sea. Best veal medallions ever in mdr. Roast pepin chicken that melted in the mouth with an incredible au jus.  Spinach cannelloni that last Oct. was great, this trip like a cement slab.  As usual the soups are outstanding, anything custard or mousse-based dessert worth the calories, but one cake was so bad I asked the restaurant manager if it was really supposed to taste like that. The exec chef said yes. Ribeye in Tuscan steak inedible, all grisle and fat, could not find the steak part. Really. Yet there was a shrimp dish we had last night there that was delightful. Red ginger still performing at a high level.

• Like 1

Wow. If its that bad (and I’m not doubting you at all), is this a frequent topic w other pax? What recourse do you have? Complain to GM, others? 
I’m asking seriously, not doubting you at all. Just so different….. 

How does it get this bad is perhaps what I’m struggling to understand.

• Like 1

Food is so highly subjective. IF the food is so problematic, one would expect some significant discussion amongst the passengers and rather public complaints to servers and cooks. I'll be on Sirena 11/18/22 and I'll find out then.

7 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

You'll have a new exec chef by then, not sure what's going on now will be applicable.  Food in waves inedible for the most part, last Oct on marina the best, juiciest burger at sea. Best veal medallions ever in mdr. Roast pepin chicken that melted in the mouth with an incredible au jus.  Spinach cannelloni that last Oct. was great, this trip like a cement slab.  As usual the soups are outstanding, anything custard or mousse-based dessert worth the calories, but one cake was so bad I asked the restaurant manager if it was really supposed to taste like that. The exec chef said yes. Ribeye in Tuscan steak inedible, all grisle and fat, could not find the steak part. Really. Yet there was a shrimp dish we had last night there that was delightful. Red ginger still performing at a high level.

That is not good

I wonder if it is a supply issue ?

But still not what you expect from Oceania

So far all good in dining room is excellent . Never sent anything back. Lobster is not very good and very small. Will not order again. Tried in the Tuscan steak house and the worst. The smallest lobster tail I have ever seen, supposedly from Maine Obviously reheated, as someone suggested. My wife’s lamb chops were over cooked and tough, although the rack  of lamb in the dining room was best we have ever had anywhere . We cancelled our other reservation in Tuscan. Service bad also  there. Half the entrees arrived and the other two 5 min later. 

do yourself a favor and skip the Tuscan restaurant. 

I agree with criticizing Waves. Reuben sandwich had grey meat and was not good. Served on the thickest rye bread I have ever seen. Why? Could not eat it. Won’t go there again. Buffett has been good. 

overall service in Dining room is excellent. Wine stewards are very good . Waiters  very helpful. .Room service brings whatever I write in for breakfast. 

we are normally Princess Cruisers and find Oceania a huge upgrade overall. 

trying Red Ginger in two days and continuing on next cruise. Our turnaround day excursion cancelled because only 9 people signed up .?

Edited by oskidunker
  • Like 1

Kate-AHF,  your post is eye-opening.  I've never been on Sirena but we will be on her in 2 weeks and hope it's the quality we've come to expect on Oceania.  I'll report back after the cruise my impressions of the food. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Not to pile onto Tuscan, but on my November 2021 transatlantic cruise on Riviera, Tuscan was my least favorite specialty, and I adore Italian food!

Just to clarify  there is no Tuscan on the other ships only on Sirena

They may have a similar menu to Toscana 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Menus/61698/Tuscan-Steak-Dinner.PDF

Meanwhile my meals in Toscana on Regatta were fantastic. The lasagna I had was back to some of the best I've ever had. Over the years it's been hit and miss from ship to ship. 

7 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

Kate-AHF,  your post is eye-opening.  I've never been on Sirena but we will be on her in 2 weeks and hope it's the quality we've come to expect on Oceania.  I'll report back after the cruise my impressions of the food. 

Please check back a few posts and join Kate-AHF and us for cocktails in Horizons as we depart Gijon. A small M&G!  Hawaiiandan must have cancelled this cruise way early. He was going as far as Lisbon, but disappeared on the Boards. Canceled when masks were still required! 

We leave Thursday. Spending three days in Rioja, with a night in Burgos on the way up. Everything in Bilboa is closed on Monday, so we’re sightseeing Bilboa next Tuesday and boarding as late as allowed that afternoon.

8 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Please check back a few posts and join Kate-AHF and us for cocktails in Horizons as we depart Gijon. A small M&G!  Hawaiiandan must have cancelled this cruise way early. He was going as far as Lisbon, but disappeared on the Boards. Canceled when masks were still required! 

We leave Thursday. Spending three days in Rioja, with a night in Burgos on the way up. Everything in Bilboa is closed on Monday, so we’re sightseeing Bilboa next Tuesday and boarding as late as allowed that afternoon.

Thanks but we'll be boarding in Lisbon, 16 days from now.  I got a little ahead of myself with the time.

We will have all day in Lisbon on Monday the 24th.  Tour guide told us that most attractions are closed on Mondays so the tour we booked will be mostly panoramic. 

Have a safe trip!

We board in Bilboa and continue on to Barcelona. Your tour guide is correct, Lisbon mostly shuts down on Monday. We’re heading up to Sintra for the day. Escaping boardamania in Lisbon.

Hopefully we can meet up for an adult beverage!

15 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Was trying to get a meet and greet established for this trip but few responses. Looking forward to meeting you. Think there are 6 responses in RC posts for this trip.