Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

Currently on Royal's Oasis of the Seas for 1st time on Royal, regular Celebrity cruiser- disappointed to experience that & curious why men are wearing shorts (even gym shorts, not long dressy shorts) & T-shirts in specialty restaurants, MDR & public areas after 5pm, even on "Formal" nights. I've never seen this in 60 years of cruising on 12  lines & have heard a number of others commenting on it also. Upon asking about it with specialty restaurant managers, Guest Services & the Diamond Concierge, they all seem embarrassed that upper management has told them to no longer simply, apporpriately request men return to their room to put on slacks & a collared shirt. Seems to me they're pandering to a few inconsiderate guests while disappointing many more considerate guests who'd like a classier evening experience. Is this happening on Celebrity or any other lines recently also? I don't even recall it on Carnival. My bride suggests they at least sit their party by the kitchen in a separate area. :>)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Rick&Susan said:

Currently on Royal's Oasis of the Seas for 1st time on Royal, regular Celebrity cruiser- disappointed to experience that & curious why men are wearing shorts (even gym shorts, not long dressy shorts) & T-shirts in specialty restaurants, MDR & public areas after 5pm, even on "Formal" nights. I've never seen this in 60 years of cruising on 12  lines & have heard a number of others commenting on it also. Upon asking about it with specialty restaurant managers, Guest Services & the Diamond Concierge, they all seem embarrassed that upper management has told them to no longer simply, apporpriately request men return to their room to put on slacks & a collared shirt. Seems to me they're pandering to a few inconsiderate guests while disappointing many more considerate guests who'd like a classier evening experience. Is this happening on Celebrity or any other lines recently also? I don't even recall it on Carnival. My bride suggests they at least sit their party by the kitchen in a separate area. :>)

You better just  sail on Queen Mary from now on 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, Rick&Susan said:

disappointing many more considerate guests

How can anyone be disappointed by others way to dress?

When seated in a restaurant i couldn't care less about how other people dress, what can bother me is if they are loud/drunk, smell or anything like that, but simply their look is nothing i even take notice of. 

• Like 16

55 minutes ago, Rick&Susan said:

Are you posting this on Celebrity board so As to warn them or ?….

3 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Are you posting this on Celebrity board so As to warn them or ?….

I believe he asked this question...yes, on the Celebrity board:

"Is this happening on Celebrity or any other lines recently also?"

1 hour ago, sgadk87 said:

How can anyone be disappointed by others way to dress?

When seated in a restaurant i couldn't care less about how other people dress, what can bother me is if they are loud/drunk, smell or anything like that, but simply their look is nothing i even take notice of. 

When they start decorating the dining rooms with Megadeath posters and you don't notice a change in ambience due to the visuals.. 

Some are just more aware of their surroundings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

And the t-shirts had no objectionable sayings and were not for Megadeath. 

Apparently some people wouldn't notice if they did/were.  😲

Among several explanations for the difference:  There are some who by nature or training are very 'situationally aware', who always take in their surroundings, and don't focus solely on what's right in front of them for extended periods.  Might make a difference in perception of ambience, too.

Just a thought.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

As already said the times they are a changing, but celebrity passengers are definitely dressed better than most lines like rccl , I would like a real dress code that would be enforced like the old days , not allowing T-shirt and shorts but I doubt that will happen on most major cruise lines .I love that our favorite restaurant which we visit twice or more a week actually has these standards , also no baseball hats and those who think wearing a baseball hat backwards is cool. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, canderson said:

Apparently some people wouldn't notice if they did/were.  😲

Among several explanations for the difference:  There are some who by nature or training are very 'situationally aware', who always take in their surroundings, and don't focus solely on what's right in front of them for extended periods.  Might make a difference in perception of ambience, too.

Just a thought.

While I am, by nature and by experience, situationally aware (call it more of a survival trait having lived in large cities on occasion), I tend to 'cocoon' into my experiences nowadays. If I'm having a great dinner with my DW, ambience is then defined as what she and I are experiencing together in that place in a bubble about 5 feet in diameter. Others around us generally do not figure into that ambience. Unless of course they are being loud or children are behaving poorly. Or they hang MegaDeath posters on the walls.

It might be nice to share the dining room experience as a whole if everyone was all gussied up. And we have had that experience many times...and it was fun. But it is not a prerequisite for our good time as society started to make it clear long ago that that sort of thing was becoming tiresome to society in general. 

I don't expect people to dress for me because I sure don't dress for them. I dress for my DW and she dresses for me. That's all that is necessary.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, dlh015 said:

While I am, by nature and by experience, situationally aware (call it more of a survival trait having lived in large cities on occasion), I tend to 'cocoon' into my experiences nowadays. If I'm having a great dinner with my DW, ambience is then defined as what she and I are experiencing together in that place in a bubble about 5 feet in diameter. Others around us generally do not figure into that ambience.

Sounds like you understand, at least. Glad you're able to pull it off. 

Still spend my days in 'metro' mode, so the opportunity to go 'cocoon mode' isn't all that common.  Doesn't just shut down for a week or two of cruising, though of all the environments, a cruise ship would be one that would really justify it.  Not always so with certain port stops, though, since we like to get off the tourist track and actually experience many destinations.

I can notice because I love people watching.  But how someone else is dressed isn't going to affect me or the time I have with my husband/family/friends.  I don't give people that power over me.  I suggest some of you try that approach.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

My husband and I usually discus what others are wearing, especially on "Chic" night. My favorite is still the lime green tuxedo. 

Which brings me to say which is 'nicer', THAT or a pair of nice dark blue jeans and and nice fitted polo style shirt? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

As already said the times they are a changing, but celebrity passengers are definitely dressed better than most lines like rccl , I would like a real dress code that would be enforced like the old days , not allowing T-shirt and shorts but I doubt that will happen on most major cruise lines .I love that our favorite restaurant which we visit twice or more a week actually has these standards , also no baseball hats and those who think wearing a baseball hat backwards is cool. 

Great song by Bob Dylan. . 

How someone dresses doesn't necessarily affect me per se, although there is such a thing as ambiance and that is one thing I am in fact paying for.  But having too many people on ships with the attitude of "it's my vacation so I'll do whatever I want and the heck with the rules" does.  That's what bothers me with the current dress code enforcement or non-enforcement.  I realize Celebrity is struggling to recover and I understand they don't want to anger their customers.  So my real issue is with the "always me first and rules only apply to other people" passengers.  Most passengers on Celebrity used to care about manners and consideration for others.  It's sad to see that falling short lately.  Unfortunately that's an issue with society in general these days.  Very sad.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

I'll continue to mind my own business and not worry about others.

Agree. I can't even remember what my wife is wearing and she always picks the color of a shirt I wear in the evening that compliments what she is wearing.