Is cruising losing its sparkle?

gordylad

The strong US $ is definitely making cruising lose its sparkle for this Canadian.  Euro or Pound is really good. Australian & NZ dollar are exceptional but for cruises it’s in US. US $ means we must add 38% to everything. Makes zero sense financially to cruise to the places we want to go.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Euro or Pound is really good.

Not sure what you mean by this? You sure don't want to go to the UK right now...1 Pound Sterling is 1.55 CDN!  And the Euro is only a little better for you than the USD.

But New Zealand and Australia are certainly the places for you (and me) to go! I hadn't looked at their rates for a while!

13 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Not sure what you mean by this? You sure don't want to go to the UK right now...1 Pound Sterling is 1.55 CDN!  And the Euro is only a little better for you than the USD.

But New Zealand and Australia are certainly the places for you (and me) to go! I hadn't looked at their rates for a while!

Which is far better than it’s been for years for the Pound.  I was visiting when it was 2.25.  Euro at 1.35 is excellent.  It’s what it can buy that matters.  

Exactly right on Australia and NZ.  Even Tahiti is cheaper by land right now.  

Edited by Cruise Junky

13 hours ago, Orator said:

If you've never experienced something, I guess you wouldn't miss if it was taken away. I've experienced Michael's Club and it's been taken away! I've experienced upgraded bathroom amenities and they have been taken away! I am now paying for things  like internet and drink packages that in the past were loyalty benefits. No daily bottled water in Aqua Class as before.  If you are a new cruiser you might be happy. If you have more than 100 Celebrity cruises you might feel that the sparkle is gone. Perspectives might be different based on experiences and expectations.

Orator are you saying that Celebrity has taken away the premium beverage package and internet from Zenith? Whoa!!!!

Just now, cruising teacher said:

Orator are you saying that Celebrity has taken away the premium beverage package and internet from Zenith? Whoa!!!!

Only Michael's Club and bathroom amenities and special Zenith luncheons unless there are a minimum of 8 Zeniths. We are now paying (I'm in Aqua Class) from the drink package and internet that we got free as a benefit.  Celebrity seems to like passengers who get no or minimum perks and I understand this reasoning. I predict that more changes are ahead for other levels.

1 minute ago, Orator said:

Only Michael's Club and bathroom amenities and special Zenith luncheons unless there are a minimum of 8 Zeniths. We are now paying (I'm in Aqua Class) from the drink package and internet that we got free as a benefit.  Celebrity seems to like passengers who get no or minimum perks and I understand this reasoning. I predict that more changes are ahead for other levels.

The website still lists the beverage package and internet as a perk. I have 8 cruises booked with this pricing in mind.🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

Yes indeed.

* Constant downgrading of the product commencing about 2018 in particular

* Larger ships, no thank you

* Removal of forward viewing venues

* Class segregation

The above results in us and many of our friends avoiding cruise lines that practice this.

4 minutes ago, cruising teacher said:

The website still lists the beverage package and internet as a perk. I have 8 cruises booked with this pricing in mind.🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

Let me try one more time! For my cruise the beverage package and internet were included in the price of the cruise. The beverage package and internet is still a benefit, but if you're booking Aqua Class or above you are required to pay for the packages in the fare. There is no option for a credit or discount. That means you are paying for an option that you had free  in the past. That in my view is a reduction in total benefits.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Yes indeed.

* Class segregation

The above results in us and many of our friends avoiding cruise lines that practice this.

That leaves out the 'mass market' lines altogether (your last bullet point assures that).  Which of the alternatives have all of you chosen?

2 minutes ago, Orator said:

Let me try one more time! For my cruise the beverage package and internet were included in the price of the cruise. The beverage package and internet is still a benefit, but if you're booking Aqua Class or above you are required to pay for the packages in the fare. There is no option for a credit or discount. That means you are paying for an option that you had free  in the past. That in my view is a reduction in total benefits.

Thank you very much for the clarification. Whew!

9 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Yes indeed.

* Class segregation

We note that you started another thread asking when Celebrity would release 2024 itineraries.  I'm confused.

2 hours ago, Orator said:

I recently bought a new car, and there are many items on the car that wasn’t on the window sticker, does that mean they were free?

It was never free, according to your first statement “ it was included in the price”. Now you have the option of not taking it and not paying for it. I’m guessing the went back to that because they had to increase occupancy. 

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 10:28 AM, Orator said:

With changes to the loyalty program Celebrity has definitely lost its sparkle to me. There have been reports by Zeniths that there are from 2-8 Zeniths on a cruise and some of them are in Suites (13 on a recent TA). Most are reporting no special events unless there are more than at least 8. Many have felt the change. I appreciate the benefits that still exist, but I see the trend of lessening loyalty benefits continuing.

Not so on Infinity or Summit where Zenith lunches were held even for small groups

4 hours ago, Orator said:

Not sure where you’re getting your information, but there were five zeniths on the last cruise on Summit and there was a special lunch and event for them.

14 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Not sure where you’re getting your information, but there were five zeniths on the last cruise on Summit and there was a special lunch and event for them.

We were on the Solstice last month with quite a few Zeniths. No luncheon. Instead a very lame half hour cocktail party. Must be a ship decision. Too bad because the luncheon is terrific.

10 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Maybe it depends on the ship and the CC concierge.  Presently on Constellation with quite a few other zeniths.  I've previously been called by the CC concierge re the CC gatherings where the top cruiser is introduced.  Not this time.  I wasn't planning to attend, but did expect a call.  I'll report back re a zenith luncheon.  I'm sure there will be even more zeniths on the upcoming TA.  BTW, I'm not in a suite.  The suite zeniths were called, at least the ones I spoke to.

4 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Maybe it depends on the ship and the CC concierge.  Presently on Constellation with quite a few other zeniths.  I've previously been called by the CC concierge re the CC gatherings where the top cruiser is introduced.  Not this time.  I wasn't planning to attend, but did expect a call.  I'll report back re a zenith luncheon.  I'm sure there will be even more zeniths on the upcoming TA.  BTW, I'm not in a suite.  The suite zeniths were called, at least the ones I spoke to.

Do you mind saying who the CC Hostess is?

3 hours ago, cruising teacher said:

We were on the Solstice last month with quite a few Zeniths. No luncheon. Instead a very lame half hour cocktail party. Must be a ship decision. Too bad because the luncheon is terrific.

We were on the same cruise with "cruising teacher."  I haven't checked my Zenith group photo from that cruise but my recollection is that there were about 17 Zeniths.  I actually didn't mind the cocktail party as there were several Zeniths I had not met previously, and we were able to mingle and chat.

We stayed onboard for the September 24th cruise.  We had 12 Zeniths on onboard.  No lunch and no cocktail gathering.  I asked the Captain's Club hostess (the same as on the September 16th leg) and was told something to the effect that she would have liked or organize something but didn't receive approval from Miami.

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

... and was told something to the effect that she would have liked or organize something but didn't receive approval from Miami.

Am fascinated by the moments when it appears staff has the autonomy to operate in their own fashion, with some substantial ship to ship differences for the 'big things', and by comparison, those moments when they are suddenly beholden to Miami for their guidance on relatively trivial issues such as this. 

Hmmm...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Am fascinated by the moments when it appears staff has the autonomy to operate in their own fashion, with some substantial ship to ship differences for the 'big things', and by comparison, those moments when they are suddenly beholden to Miami for their guidance on relatively trivial issues such as this. 

Hmmm...

It is a mystery to me too...

Getting back to the original question, has cruising lost it’s sparkle? Just finished glancing at all of these posts and obviously the sparkle has a different meaning to everyone.

This question hit me because we just returned from the Equinox last Saturday and I was asking myself the same question. We were in a PS suite and while we had a great time and enjoyed everything, I couldn’t help but to notice things that could be defined as sparkle missing. For example, in the past you were greeted with a glass of champagne upon boarding, there were a dozen red roses on the table in the suite, a bowl of fresh fruit replenished daily, and during the week a bowl of chocolate covered strawberry’s would magically appear with a thank you card from the Hotel Director. Not to mention the days when you would come back from dinner to find towel animals on your bed. All of that is history. 
For me the sparkle is at it’s best on the first day after you get to your room and you know you still have the entire cruise ahead of you. 

• Like 2