Vero water bottles

susiesan

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I do not think the glass bottles were meant to  be carried around  they are just for the cabin use

Someone will correct me if wrong

You're not wrong, can't imagine carrying one of those off the ship. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Perhaps Oceania should follow the lead of its corporate sibling NCL and have water in single use recyclable cartons available in place of single use plastic bottles. The cartons can be just as easily taken ashore as single use plastic bottles.

NCL charges for (Flow) their single use water. A drink package or $2-3 a bottle will get you the cardboard single use. Users on CC describe it as tasting like chicken.

Addendum. NCL Flow single use water in the cardboard containers only comes with the premium beverage package and only one 6 pack at embarkation.

Edited by Robjame
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Maybe 16 oz. max?

24 oz. if filled to about 30-35 mm or 1.25" below the top (full but the stopper area is empty).

Also, the glass bottle in the room is still water by default. You can ask for a bottle of sparkling water too. Still water is the hazy glass and sparkling is clear. The glass bottles should not leave the room, just the metal bottles.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robjame said:

NCL charges for (Flow) their single use water. A drink package or $2-3 a bottle will get you the cardboard single use. Users on CC describe it as tasting like chicken.

Addendum. NCL Flow single use water in the cardboard containers only comes with the premium beverage package and only one 6 pack at embarkation.

I am well aware of the fact that NCL charges for the water. The point is that there are alternatives to single use plastics other than the Vero water system used by Oceania. Oceania could have the same water used by NCL available at no charge as you are exiting ship just as they used to have water in plastic bottles available at no charge.

I haven't found the NCL water to have an objectionable taste.

I happen to cruise on both Oceania and NCL so I can offer suggestions based both on fact and on opinions developed from actual personal experience, not from what some other person said .

8 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I am well aware of the fact that NCL charges for the water. The point is that there are alternatives to single use plastics other than the Vero water system used by Oceania. Oceania could have the same water used by NCL available at no charge as you are exiting ship just as they used to have water in plastic bottles available at no charge.

I haven't found the NCL water to have an objectionable taste.

I happen to cruise on both Oceania and NCL so I can offer suggestions based both on fact and on opinions developed from actual personal experience, not from what some other person said .

Now that you have clarified that you only meant the box water when going ashore for excursions, your suggestion makes more sense.

….or you could toddle up to the gym and get a free plastic bottle for excursions.

21 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Now that you have clarified that you only meant the box water when going ashore for excursions, your suggestion makes more sense.

….or you could toddle up to the gym and get a free plastic bottle for excursions.

I  thought what I was saying was fairly obvious, but perhaps it wasn't.  The idea is to have water packaged in a way that is easy to take ashore while eliminating the single use plastic bottles. Oceania could also replace the water bottles in the gym with the Flow water cartons.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Perhaps Oceania should follow the lead of its corporate sibling NCL and have water in single use recyclable cartons available in place of single use plastic bottles. The cartons can be just as easily taken ashore as single use plastic bottles.

But they would not stay cool as well....Don't get me wrong as I am not the biggest fan of the metal ones that Oceania is handing out these days as the condensation issue is real - and can ruin other stuff in your bag that you are taking ashore.  But I think that it is a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:57 AM, njhorseman said:

Had the boxed water on another line - can't remember which one, either Azamara or Viking.

It was worse tasting than just about any beverage I've ever had.  The F&B manager told me they had nothing but complaints about the quality of the water.

And I bet those "recyclable cartons" get dumped into landfills just like the plastic bottles.  Remember, it's the local authorities that dispose of that waste ashore - and if they aren't recycling plastics, they aren't recycling waxed paper.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Had the boxed water on another line - can't remember which one, either Azamara or Viking.

It was worse tasting than just about any beverage I've ever had.  The F&B manager told me they had nothing but complaints about the quality of the water.

And I bet those "recyclable cartons" get dumped into landfills just like the plastic bottles.  Remember, it's the local authorities that dispose of that waste ashore - and if they aren't recycling plastics, they aren't recycling waxed paper.

IIRC the cartons are almost entirely biodegradable so they would eventually decompose in a landfill, unlike plastic, which will be there forever.

We take the empty cartons back to the ship and deposit them in the designated waste bin that's located at the gangway.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Lived out of a canteen for extended periods and didn’t die. Maybe people just need some iodine pills and get on with life. Rinse the metal bottle out occasionally and you’ll be fine. 

Why would anyone put detergent in their bottle that will be difficult to throughly rinse out? 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:18 PM, Micro986 said:

I think removing the plastic bottles is a great move. I was shocked when we took ATVs around Aruba,  there were small beaches  covered in plastic. It was shocking to see. 

5813A6B2-6040-40A1-965E-2A4A6FDF2415.jpeg

Countries responsible for the most ocean trash:

India: 126.5 million kg

China: 70.7 million kg

Indonesia: 56.3 million kg

Brazil: 38 million kg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rbtan said:

The bottles are very nice. They do dent easily & if you drop one, it makes quite a racket. We'd pay for insulated ones if offered as they warm up pretty quickly to room temp.

We have found if you will the bottles with ice most of the way from the ice bucket in your room, it will stay cold many hours.  For the condensation problem, take a plastic bag from home and place the bottle in the bag.  Hope this helps.  We have been doing this on Regent since the Fall of 2021.

On two recent Oceania cruises—different ships—we found the refrigerated plastic bottles of water in the gym replaced by a Vero water dispensing machine.  I’m sensitive to off tasting water and I don’t find the Vero water to have any taste at all.  The Vero water is also used in all the bars and dining venues.

To deal with the condensation issue with the aluminum bottles, I use an insulated bottle holder that has a strap so you can carry it like a purse/bag.  When you want a drink, you don’t have to shuffle through your purse or backpack.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Senior Citizen said:

On two recent Oceania cruises—different ships—we found the refrigerated plastic bottles of water in the gym replaced by a Vero water dispensing machine.

True...at least on Riviera where we are now.  However, the gym does have a refrigerated case filled with single-use plastic bottles of energy drinks.  Take one; empty it into your stateroom sink and fill it with water.  

I always drink the ship's tap water instead of fancy-pants Vero.  It tastes better than at home -- and if it's just desalinated sea water: ¡Tanto mejor! 

On 10/16/2022 at 8:57 AM, Ladys Mom said:

We have found if you will the bottles with ice most of the way from the ice bucket in your room, it will stay cold many hours.  For the condensation problem, take a plastic bag from home and place the bottle in the bag.  Hope this helps.  We have been doing this on Regent since the Fall of 2021.

I am not sure that I have plastic bags from home that would even be large enough for these bottles....and just wondering if these plastic bags might also be of some problem when it comes to being "green" or whatever the current term is with regards to not harming the environment?

And I am not trying to be more of a problem....but sometimes I am at a loss at how these things are truly to be handled and what the correct process and plans should be.  Surely those more knowledgeable than I should chime in.

1 hour ago, chloemonkey said:

I am not sure that I have plastic bags from home that would even be large enough for these bottles....and just wondering if these plastic bags might also be of some problem when it comes to being "green" or whatever the current term is with regards to not harming the environment?

And I am not trying to be more of a problem....but sometimes I am at a loss at how these things are truly to be handled and what the correct process and plans should be.  Surely those more knowledgeable than I should chime in.

I am bring my insulated thermos from home, along with a pouch that it fits in nicely.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I am bring my insulated thermos from home, along with a pouch that it fits in nicely.

That is what have done in the past  

I take a small bottle of dish soap to give them a good clean

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

That is what have done in the past  

I take a small bottle of dish soap to give them a good clean

In my kitchen, I easily wash it out with just hot water and a good scrub with my hands. It would be more difficult on a cruise. The only time I ever used soap on my water bottle, I regretted it over the next several days. Yuck.

I have read other posters who were able to ask their state room steward or Butler to rinse it through with hot water.

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

In my kitchen, I easily wash it out with just hot water and a good scrub with my hands. It would be more difficult on a cruise. The only time I ever used soap on my water bottle, I regretted it over the next several days. Yuck.

I have read other posters who were able to ask their state room steward or Butler to rinse it through with hot water.

I see some new bottles come with a bottle brush  but that is more stuff to pack LOL

On 10/8/2022 at 10:06 PM, edgee said:

Check out these Vapur flexible/foldable reusable plastic water bottles..order on Amazon or directly.

Shop All : Vapur

Thanks for that recommendation.  Bought 2 in different sizes on Amazon for less than their website and faster delivery if anyone wants to purchase them in the future.

Also, good recommendation to fill them 1/2 full with ice.  Since these have a wide-mouth top, I'll be doing that.

• Like 1