Coco Cay with a toddler, many questions incl rental of beds, strollers, water temp etc

We (ds, dil, gd-almost 3yo, dh and myself) will be stopping at Coco Cay in early March 2023. I am really looking forward to our day. Right now I have rented a day bed at South Beach and 1 at Breezy Bay at Chill Island.(Not sure which is better-plus age restriction)  My reasoning for the day bed is to give my gd a place to take a nap (so we don't have to make the long trek back to the ship for nap time) and to give my dh and I a little more shade as I don't like a lot of sun and dh has to stay out because of multiple skin cancers. I have seen many videos and pictures and have never seen toddlers or strollers. 1) Are there strollers to use or do we need to bring our own as it seems like a lot of walking, even with the tram. I booked breezy bay first then found south bay later. Breezy Bay says minimum age is 4, South Bay doesn't say anything. 2) Anyone know why the minimum age is 4 and do they enforce? Would South Beach be a good alternative? I know it is away from everything. 3) Because is is early March, I am assuming the ocean will be chilly? Are the pools heated?  4) Because they allow 4 people per bed, do you think they will also count the toddler? 

Anything additional you can add would be helpful. I will also cross post this on the 'private island" forum too. Thank you!

They give wrist bands for the four people who allowed to use the beach beds. I have heard that they can be very strict with the number of guests using them, and the ages too. I have heard the age restriction has to do with liability/insurance issues. Obviously, no one here can tell you with 100% certainty if your granddaughter will be allowed to use the best due to her age AND exceeding the number of guests allowed to use it. But try and remember your fellow cruisers and by exceeding the number of people technically allowed to use the bed, that you will be crowding others and potentially encroaching on their privacy/enjoyment of the beach bed.

Water temperature is subjective. We were at CocoCay in March, April and May and the ocean temps were warm and enjoyable. We used the pool at the CocoCay Beach Club, also, enjoyable. But what we find warm or cool could be completely different to someone else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Choozin Croozin said:

We (ds, dil, gd-almost 3yo, dh and myself) will be stopping at Coco Cay in early March 2023. I am really looking forward to our day. Right now I have rented a day bed at South Beach and 1 at Breezy Bay at Chill Island.(Not sure which is better-plus age restriction)  My reasoning for the day bed is to give my gd a place to take a nap (so we don't have to make the long trek back to the ship for nap time) and to give my dh and I a little more shade as I don't like a lot of sun and dh has to stay out because of multiple skin cancers. I have seen many videos and pictures and have never seen toddlers or strollers. 1) Are there strollers to use or do we need to bring our own as it seems like a lot of walking, even with the tram. I booked breezy bay first then found south bay later. Breezy Bay says minimum age is 4, South Bay doesn't say anything. 2) Anyone know why the minimum age is 4 and do they enforce? Would South Beach be a good alternative? I know it is away from everything. 3) Because is is early March, I am assuming the ocean will be chilly? Are the pools heated?  4) Because they allow 4 people per bed, do you think they will also count the toddler? 

Anything additional you can add would be helpful. I will also cross post this on the 'private island" forum too. Thank you!

Here's the map.  If it were me (grandma of 5), I'd probably do Breezy Bay.  Closer to the pool, the snacks and lunch are right there and not too far to get to the small water park for little kids that is 'free' because it's not inside the main water park which has a charge.  Not sure what to tell you on if they'll count the toddler, my guess is that they will.  

CocoCay map.JPG

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CruiseBride926 said:

We’ve gone twice while my son was a toddler and I’d say skip the stroller. It’s a pain to drag around especially in sandy areas and it’s annoying and a nuisance to put on the tram. The walking really isn’t too bad if you’re utilizing the tram.

Thank you. She is pretty active so I think she'll do ok, but it just seems like so much walking, that's why I wondered. I appreciate your help. DId your kids not take naps then, did you go back to the ship or what did you do? We don't get there until 10 am, so with nap time around 1p, that sure doesn't give much time. Maybe by then she won't be taking naps or 2 hr ones, but hard to know. Her father took naps in kindergarten still. 😂 It doesn't sound like the daybed thing is going to work. 

1 minute ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Thank you. She is pretty active so I think she'll do ok, but it just seems like so much walking, that's why I wondered. I appreciate your help. DId your kids not take naps then, did you go back to the ship or what did you do? We don't get there until 10 am, so with nap time around 1p, that sure doesn't give much time. Maybe by then she won't be taking naps or 2 hr ones, but hard to know. Her father took naps in kindergarten still. 😂 It doesn't sound like the daybed thing is going to work. 

My youngest was on his way out of naps. We got a cabana one of the times thinking it would be good for a nap but he refused. He then promptly fell asleep 3 seconds into the tram ride 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Cabanas have an occupancy of 8.  

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Cabanas have an occupancy of 8.  

Thank you! That would be so great but those are a bit rich for my blood. $1k compared to $200. I think I will keep my reservation and see how things progress between now and then. Maybe there will be a super sale around Black Friday and we could spring for a Cabana. 😁

I have no idea why there would be an age restriction on beach beds.  There is nothing dangerous or anything related to that.

However, I think you should be aware that they are NOT going to guarantee you full shade other than at "high noon".  The sun will come in through the sides at other times of day, and if you close the curtains, you'll also lose any air flow, which could be oppressively hot.  There are also small gaps between the curtains that could cause sunburn in isolated areas.  

Loungers are plentiful, as are umbrellas.  And you can drag the lounger around to stay in the shade as the angle of the sun changes.  I've seen plenty of children napping on a lounger -- kids can sleep anywhere!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I have no idea why there would be an age restriction on beach beds.  There is nothing dangerous or anything related to that.
That was my thought except that maybe there is a little rougher surf at Breezy Bay? It didn't make sense to me. It looks, from videos, that South Beach is very calm???

However, I think you should be aware that they are NOT going to guarantee you full shade other than at "high noon".  The sun will come in through the sides at other times of day, and if you close the curtains, you'll also lose any air flow, which could be oppressively hot.  There are also small gaps between the curtains that could cause sunburn in isolated areas.  
You have a really good point. I was thinking that we would just close the curtain on the sunny side, but you are correct, that would restrict air flow. 

Loungers are plentiful, as are umbrellas.  And you can drag the lounger around to stay in the shade as the angle of the sun changes.  I've seen plenty of children napping on a lounger -- kids can sleep anywhere!  

She is a bit of a problem sleeper. She sleeps well, but has a hard time falling asleep. That certainly may change 20x by then. 😆

Many things to think about. Thank you!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Choozin Croozin said:

That was my thought except that maybe there is a little rougher surf at Breezy Bay? It didn't make sense to me. It looks, from videos, that South Beach is very calm???

Honestly, the calmest water is going to be Harbor Beach -- very protected, and without the big "ledge" drop-off as you enter the water.  

Harbor Beach is also very close to the buffet, the big pool (which also has a zero entry section), and the freebie kiddie splash pad.  

As for falling asleep, will she fall asleep while snuggling/cuddling with a parent or grandparent, or while being read a story?  That may be a way to get her to sleep on a lounger.

• Thanks 1

Bring a cheap umbrella stroller (like the kind you can buy from Walmart for $15). If the 3 year old falls asleep, you'll be glad you have it. If not, it's easier to roll/carry than a sleeping child. They don't take up much room when folded up. This is what I traveled with when my daughter was that age. Anything bigger and it's annoying to lug around and gets in the way, but it's enough to give your arms a break when you have a sleeping child, and gives the kids a place to sit when they can't keep up with the adults anymore. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Umbrella-Stroller-Chalk-Hearts/55213555

Skip the beach beds.  They have sheer curtains around them but are all located out in the sun.  Instead head over to the area between the blue and red dots on the map (left turn on shore, over bridge, onto sand as soon as possible past dive shop and local stores).  This area has umbrellas every two/four loungers and has many palm trees overhead.  Good shade, especially if you go first thing in the morning.  Nice sand down by the beach and around chairs to play in.  Well-protected beach with easy entry.  Close to buffet.  You will likely want to take the little one to the kids water park for a while (pirate ship when you first get on the island) but there are no loungers around that. If little one is potty trained she can also use the main pool.  Right end has zero entry and some loungers, but really not much shade.  You can also clip towels to the umbrellas if you need a bit more shade.

15 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Bring a cheap umbrella stroller (like the kind you can buy from Walmart for $15). If the 3 year old falls asleep, you'll be glad you have it. If not, it's easier to roll/carry than a sleeping child. They don't take up much room when folded up. This is what I traveled with when my daughter was that age. Anything bigger and it's annoying to lug around and gets in the way, but it's enough to give your arms a break when you have a sleeping child, and gives the kids a place to sit when they can't keep up with the adults anymore. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Umbrella-Stroller-Chalk-Hearts/55213555

Thank you! I forgot about the umbrella stroller, but also didn't think there were walkways past the front. I thought it was all sand. I have one that I bought for her as that is what I used for my son to manage many times at Disney World until he was like 5 I think. LOL.. I'll add that to my arsonal. Glad to know I could use it.

14 hours ago, LeeW said:

Skip the beach beds.  They have sheer curtains around them but are all located out in the sun.  Instead head over to the area between the blue and red dots on the map (left turn on shore, over bridge, onto sand as soon as possible past dive shop and local stores).  This area has umbrellas every two/four loungers and has many palm trees overhead.  Good shade, especially if you go first thing in the morning.  Nice sand down by the beach and around chairs to play in.  Well-protected beach with easy entry.  Close to buffet.  You will likely want to take the little one to the kids water park for a while (pirate ship when you first get on the island) but there are no loungers around that. If little one is potty trained she can also use the main pool.  Right end has zero entry and some loungers, but really not much shade.  You can also clip towels to the umbrellas if you need a bit more shade.

@LeeWGreat ideas. I will put close pins on the list. That is helpful to know where a good place to go is. Do you know if you can move the umbrellas? Thinking 2 together would really be good. We definitely plan on the Pirate Ship and the Captain Jills (or whatever it's called). She loves the water. 

Umbrellas aren't meant to be moved, but you can move the loungers around as the angle of the sun changes to stay in the shade.

There are paved walkways all through the center of the island -- just not out into the beaches themselves.  Definitely bring the stroller if you have a small one.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 11:18 PM, LeeW said:

If little one is potty trained she can also use the main pool.  Right end has zero entry and some loungers, but really not much shade.  You can also clip towels to the umbrellas if you need a bit more shade.

Swim diapers are allowed in the Pool at Coco Cay.

• Thanks 1