What is your favorite and least favorite RC embarkation/disembarkation port and why?

time4u2go

My favorite is Miami, the terminal, Royal's newest, not the city.

My least favorite is Seattle.  

1.  Port of Miami

2 & 3.  Port of Galveston and Port of Canaveral, a tie

4.  Port Everglades

5.  Bayonne (I don't really like it there at all but it is an option)

6.  Seattle (will never cruise out of there again)

My order has nothing to do with destinations that the port serves.  It's all about the terminal themselves and a little about the city they are located in.  

• Like 1

Favorite:  Fort Lauderdale. - more flight options, hotels are reasonable.  Close proximity to the airport.  (Port Canaveral is a close second).  

Least Favorite:  Miami - flights are a PITA, hotels are expensive 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Favorite:  Fort Lauderdale. - more flight options, hotels are reasonable.  Close proximity to the airport.  (Port Canaveral is a close second).  

Least Favorite:  Miami - flights are a PITA, hotels are expensive 

For sure.  When I cruise out of Miami, I stay in Ft. Lauderdale/Dania (I grew up in Dania).  We drive in so flight into MIA or FLL aren't an issue. And you can find some good deals on hotels, sometimes, in the Ft. Lauderdale area, like Dania, Sunrise, Hollywood, Davie etc. 

Best Venice. If only for the sail away 

2nd Southampton. Can drive there

3rd  Barcelona. Great city and only 20 minutes from the airport 

Worse Ravenna. There’s much better departure more local ports nearer to Venice such a long boring drive from most connecting airports.Never again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ret MP said:

My favorite is Miami, the terminal, Royal's newest, not the city.

My least favorite is Seattle.  

1.  Port of Miami

2 & 3.  Port of Galveston and Port of Canaveral, a tie

4.  Port Everglades

5.  Bayonne (I don't really like it there at all but it is an option)

6.  Seattle (will never cruise out of there again)

My order has nothing to do with destinations that the port serves.  It's all about the terminal themselves and a little about the city they are located in.  

Does Option 4 or 5 come with a Free Robbery, or does the Port charge for that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Pt Canaveral hands down

No one else in FL comes close

20220925_191413.jpg.fce271b080bc16fd40bcca00000ea02d.jpg

20220925_191438.jpg.3e6f5fe3f325597186514b87c68a6ee8.jpg

20220920_220750.thumb.jpg.f28ec47615e6d780dc9ce2bd461d3ef8.jpg

20220911_181126.thumb.jpg.40e455a8eb3a0d62e239808afdb7c7c8.jpg

20220729_070825.thumb.jpg.3ed08df5153bf5198fa6d24ef49b3e3a.jpg

20220323_083859.thumb.jpg.03083c7178781c3943d8450e7cc9504b.jpg

Singapore is pretty cool though

20211110_124751.jpg.b8e6dce5b9f63f925f3e26090d933e09.jpg

And who doesn't love Copenhagen

20210827_161038.thumb.jpg.280510ea37a001f613396d04a4a185e6.jpg

Royal Caribbean has it's own Rocket Ships now?..Need to get in touch with my TA!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This might not be the general opinion but we found Port Canaveral very poor for embarkation and disembarkation. Long queues and chaos at both, on boarding we were lining up outside in the car park and it was just as disorganised inside.

Boarding and disembarking Spendour in Dubai was our best experience but of a course a smaller ship so less passengers.

Southampton , we can drive there, easy parking and never had much of a queue.

Barcelona, fairly short flight, terminal right in the city with lots of hotel choices and always well organised.

Dubai, like everything else there very efficient and easy to board.

Maybe we have just been unlucky but we've always found the US ports more chaotic than those in many other parts of the world.

• Like 2

I prefer Miami over Fort Lauderdale. Although it's a touch further from the airport (but both convenient), there is more to do if staying downtown/Brickell. They also have the free metro mover which is nice. Having said that, hotels are really pricey for our cruise next year so booked closer to the airport.

We have a cruise in 2024 out of Port Canaveral. Seems really inconvenient as it's far from the airport. (Did a Disney cruise once but don't remember the port).

New Jersey was fine but not comparing apples to apples since we drove. Would love to extend a cruise pre or post sometime and add a few days in New York. 

• Like 1

The Cape Liberty terminal is ok, but you can encounter a mile long (or more) line of vehicles waiting to drop off luggage due to the lone access road.  But I can drive there in 90 minutes and don't have to deal with flying hassles.

Baltimore is a longer drive for me, but easy in and out.  The drawback is the limited sailing options.

• Like 3

Ft Lauderdale is so close to the airport that you can catch an earlier flight home than other airports.  For those of us who have to fly in to every port, the closer the better. Not only is Orlando one of the most expensive airports in the US to fly to but you then need to hire a car service for your hour long ride to the local hotels or port.  Probably one of my least favorite.

• Like 2

I've been out of all 4 of Florida's ports. Miami is one I will not use again unless it is a real special itinerary. Just can't justify the $25 a day parking, and the mess trying to get to terminal G sucked. Different perspective if flying and grabbing a hotel I am sure. 

Port Canaveral is nice because of the offsite parking and shuttle. It is also just an hour away.

Fort Lauderdale is OK, as long as you don't end up on the top floors of the parking garage and find a 30 minute wait for the elevators. 6 flights of stairs is not my idea of fun after a rough night:)

Tampa is probably my favorite of the 4 Florida ports. May be biased since my cruises out of there were half capacity Covid restarts. Easiest parking and in and out of the 4 in Florida (no clue what Jacksonville is like).

Amsterdam has them all beat, but that was a flying port where you could stay right at the cruise port (Movenpick) for a decent rate. Walked the check-in bags down at 9 am when it was empty.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, George C said:

I like Miami and Ft Lauderdale love booking a hotel that I can wake up and see my ship . While it was a disembarkation I hated Vancouver. Also loved Barcelona.

One of the new hotels in Cape Canaveral has a few balconies facing the port

8 hours ago, Tin can said:

This might not be the general opinion but we found Port Canaveral very poor for embarkation and disembarkation. Long queues and chaos at both, on boarding we were lining up outside in the car park and it was just as disorganised inside.

Boarding and disembarking Spendour in Dubai was our best experience but of a course a smaller ship so less passengers.

I've found the process very simple at Terminal 1. We sail from T5 on Sunday. Not sure how that will go.