Dining in The Restaurant at lunch

Genoabay

Hello fellow cruisers,

We have sailed many times with Regent and Silversea and have been wanting to try Seabourn for some time now.

We enjoy a sit down lunch in the main dining room at times. Does anyone have a lunch time sample menu or examples of what is

served at lunch time?

Thanks much!

Ah, i get it! I like that it is just so civilized and liesurley which is in contrast to our busy world. We are on one of Regent's holiday cruises this year after a few years  hiatus and are very much looking forward to it. Thanks for your reply

On my very recent Quest cruise, the Restaurant (MDR) was not even open for a quiet sit down lunch even on the sea day, (blamed on staffing issues, and low demand).  On some itineraries (e.g., Caribbean pre-Covid) even back in 2018 it was also closed even on sea days (other than for a "galley" lunch, which was just a bigger, loud   buffet with almost everyone on board getting into a line there).

Management has not articulated any plans to bring back the quiet, civilized sit down course by course lunches in the MDR which we had greatly enjoyed in the past, pre-Covid, when either not in port or when coming  back from a morning excursion.  They offered a sit-down breakfast 8-9:30, but bunched everyone up into one small area.

The only place you can eat lunch on the smaller ships (Odyssey, Sojourn, Quest)  is outside at the pool (hamburger, hot dog, grilled fish, salad, pizza) where it is a very casual venue with pumped in pop music, at the buffet in the indoor/outdoor Colonnade (though a couple mains like a grilled fish can be ordered from your seat), which is a casual crowded venue also with pumped in pop music, or with room service -- with all items brought all at once (but where the pumping of pop music is at your discretion, so it is otherwise very, very quiet :))

When the MDR was open in the past, the menu was limited to 3 or 4 special entrees (a meat, a fish, a pasta which might be vegetarian) , and 3 or four appetizers, but we always found something we liked (we are not restricted on what we can eat).  We could even calmly talk to a sommelier.  That is all gone, and we miss it.  We miss sit down lunches on SB, and we enjoyed sitdown lunches on Silversea (post Covid) and other lines.

We have not been on Regent since 2019, but are looking at retrying it on one of the newer, non-vibrating ships, if they have a good itinerary AND a sit-down MDR style lunch!

• Like 2

Calover,  I will miss the MDR as a lunch venue on sea days as well.  It really suits us.  We don't cruise to hear piped in Pop music or eat from a buffet in a crowded venue.  If lunch in the MDR has gone away permanently, I will be very very disappointed.  Like you, we could always find something we liked on the menu--anything from Steak Diane to Fish and Chips.  Sigh.  We  have a  lot of time to think right now about our next cruising experience.  I'm not seeing a perfect fit.  I'm not sure that the somewhat staid Silversea is for us (we have tried it)--or the larger Regent ships which are more inclusive that we require.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Calover,  I will miss the MDR as a lunch venue on sea days as well.  It really suits us.  We don't cruise to hear piped in Pop music or eat from a buffet in a crowded venue.  If lunch in the MDR has gone away permanently, I will be very very disappointed.  Like you, we could always find something we liked on the menu--anything from Steak Diane to Fish and Chips.  Sigh.  We  have a  lot of time to think right now about our next cruising experience.  I'm not seeing a perfect fit.  I'm not sure that the somewhat staid Silversea is for us (we have tried it)--or the larger Regent ships which are more inclusive that we require.  

Have you tried SS on the newer ships or only on Shadow, Whisper, and the old pre-expedition Wind? 

2 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Have you tried SS on the newer ships or only on Shadow, Whisper, and the old pre-expedition Wind? 

We have not tried the new ships.  But, on Silversea I will miss fun cruise directors like Ross and the better entertainment SB has.  While I am far from being a party person, I do attend all the deck parties on SB and enjoy them. I don't think SS has many deck events.  But, we will probably try the newer SS ships in due time.  My husband is more anxious to try them than I am.  

Edited by SLSD

Sad to read that the dining room lunches are gone.  We have enjoyed them, not everyday, for often enough.  We like to sit in peace and there was always something good on the menu.  Plus they will cook up a special order pizza!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tv24 said:

Sad to read that the dining room lunches are gone.  We have enjoyed them, not everyday, for often enough.  We like to sit in peace and there was always something good on the menu.  Plus they will cook up a special order pizza!

I was on the ovation in mid to late august and the restaurant was open for lunch on all 4 sea days.  However, it there were very few passengers there on our 3 visits. I didn’t find the menu overly limited and always found something good to order.

I have an upcoming cruise on the quest with 2 sea days.  I’ll try to remember to report on the lunch status of the restaurant.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 2

On the much maligned August Dover to Montreal cruise, we did have nice lunches several  sea days in the dining room. There seemed to be more people there than we have seen on previous cruises. We do enjoy this peaceful environment and perhaps when/if staffing returns to normal levels, it also will return to normal. 

• Like 2

The Restaurant is open for lunch on sea days only. I’m happy with that policy. It just doesn’t feel right to make crew stay on the ship to serve lunch to a small number of people while they could be enjoying some much deserved downtime in port. And there are plenty of other options for lunch while in port anyway - both on the ship and on shore. 

Currently, lunch in The Restaurant on sea days is first to be temporarily dropped in case they’re short staffed because of Covid. Again, the right call i.m.o. vs. closing other venues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A decade ago we were SB sailors. That ended w the closure of the

MDR for lunch. We were employed w grab n go lunches and very much enjoyed the graciousness of a quiet lunch. In late August 22 we

returned to SB Sojourn ..lovely ship, excellent crew but the diningroom

remains closed and we are not buffet lovers nor were they particularly interesting. This is in distinction to Regent which has an open Mdr,

keeps one of its specialty  restaurants open for lunch plus a buffet and burgers/ snacks  on pool deck. SB seems to count on poolside splash parties w a variety of alcohol. The cruise director jumping fully clothed into the pool seems more suited to less ranked lines. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to further updates on this. When I hear about piped in pop music I think basic Carnival or Princess - not Seabourn. That seems surprising to me. I also agree with MDR lunches on sea days, not everyday so that crew can get a break. They work such long days. 

My understanding is that the closure of the MDR for both Breakfast and Lunch is due to an instruction from Seattle. The ships themselves have no flexibility.

There seems to be an environment where more and more decisions that directly impact guests are being made in this way. Other edicts include instructions to significantly reduce stock levels on board. This impacted our recent cruise on Encore where the fresh fish offering was missing (Frozen only) and the wine selection very poor.

Yes,Carnival has had a tricky couple of years, tried without success (so far) to divest Seabourn   and its clearly trying to increase profitability to make it more attractive to a buyer. However, it is in great danger of alienating its core repeat customer base with these marginal top-down initiatives.

What is really needed from the folk in Seattle is to encourage and fund a program of customer delight where expectations are regularly exceeded.The covid excuse has now run its course.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adoctor said:

My understanding is that the closure of the MDR for both Breakfast and Lunch is due to an instruction from Seattle. The ships themselves have no flexibility.

There seems to be an environment where more and more decisions that directly impact guests are being made in this way. Other edicts include instructions to significantly reduce stock levels on board. This impacted our recent cruise on Encore where the fresh fish offering was missing (Frozen only) and the wine selection very poor.

Yes,Carnival has had a tricky couple of years, tried without success (so far) to divest Seabourn   and its clearly trying to increase profitability to make it more attractive to a buyer. However, it is in great danger of alienating its core repeat customer base with these marginal top-down initiatives.

What is really needed from the folk in Seattle is to encourage and fund a program of customer delight where expectations are regularly exceeded.The covid excuse has now run its course.

We agree.  My bankruptcy lawyer husband says this is a bad model for a distressed company.  You need to trust your people about what is best for the business.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

We agree.  My bankruptcy lawyer husband says this is a bad model for a distressed company.  You need to trust your people about what is best for the business.  

Please remember that there is a connection in Seattle between HAL and Seabourn.  Micro-management from the executives in Seattle is a complaint I have heard from HAL Officers from the Captain and on down for several years--years well before Covid.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Please remember that there is a connection in Seattle between HAL and Seabourn.  Micro-management from the executives in Seattle is a complaint I have heard from HAL Officers from the Captain and on down for several years--years well before Covid.  

I know that.  That doesn't change the fact that business decisions are being made by those not on the ship.  They need to listen to those interfacing with guests.  Just our opinion.  They appear to more concerned about cost savings and slim staff numbers.  We'll see how that works out.  According to one of the posters here, Venture only has 150 guests  (when capacity is 264) right now.  I'm just not encouraged to book a cruise yet---and I am waiting for reasons to be encouraged.  All of us see this differently.  There are those who want to be on a ship no matter what and others who want certain things to be in line first.  I am not at all impressed with having to use the SB App while on board.  Yes, I know you can get a printed version--but who wants to beg and argue.  For me, that is not a pleasant vacation activity.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

With all due respect to the discussion, it misses a fundamental reality:  Seabourn will need to depend on the next generations of cruisers and cater to them.  Many of our kids and grandkids prefer casual dining...look around at the restaurants wherever you live.  While there are still some of us dinasours that my enjoy a a relaxed course-by-course lunch, the reality is the three-martini lunch as a cultural phenonema has been dead for 40 years.  Seabourn needs to adapt to survive.  If that means cutting costs, which includes not opening the MDR for lunch when they may only get 10 or 20 diners, that is the reality.  We can push Seabourn to return to the traditional service, with required formal attire, set dining times and formal dining.  But that might be the end of Seabourn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, geoffieg said:

With all due respect to the discussion, it misses a fundamental reality:  Seabourn will need to depend on the next generations of cruisers and cater to them.  Many of our kids and grandkids prefer casual dining...look around at the restaurants wherever you live.  While there are still some of us dinasours that my enjoy a a relaxed course-by-course lunch, the reality is the three-martini lunch as a cultural phenonema has been dead for 40 years.  Seabourn needs to adapt to survive.  If that means cutting costs, which includes not opening the MDR for lunch when they may only get 10 or 20 diners, that is the reality.  We can push Seabourn to return to the traditional service, with required formal attire, set dining times and formal dining.  But that might be the end of Seabourn.

Who said anything about martinis or any alcohol at lunch?    I'm merely saying that a crowded buffet is not my cup of tea. I've always been a bit grossed out by buffets.   Ok--I get it.  I'm not a typical cruiser.  I understand that.  But, I am a potential cruiser who can afford to take luxury cruises, but I'm choosing not to right now.  I'm the kind of customer SB needs right now.  Not opening the MDR at lunch on sea days is just one thing.  And who wants set dining times?  NO ONE has asked for that.  Nor are many asking for required formal attire (SB included). I would be fine with formal nights going away.  Most don't dress for them anyway.  (We try to meet all dress code standards). 

Some of us as asking for something other than loud piped pop music, apps to know what is going on, and more choices for dining.  Casual is fine.  Just not buffet or hot dogs, pizza, burgers and that's all.   What about signature salads that are not part of of a buffet?  I realize that I am ranting about this--but I am not really an ancient dinosaur (yet).  Some of what SB does IS outdated!  For example, the songs that the entertainers sing.  I enjoy their voices, but roll my eyes a bit at the song choices.  There needs to something for everyone and don't really think I am alone in what I am looking for in a cruise.  

Another question--does SB want to please the guests they have?  Or, do they want to try and please guests they don't have yet.  Just some things to think about.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I'm merely saying that a crowded buffet is not my cup of tea. I've always been a bit grossed out by buffets.

SLSD we dine at the Colonnade for lunch and breakfast. We always ask if they mind if we sit outside but on the side. Even if the table isn't set and they are always happy to do so. We order either the special pasta or usually fish of the day. Though I often see people ordering things like burgers minute steaks etc. Sometimes we like the look of what is being served we may choose to partake of having that but then go and sit in our quiet space.

We never have an issue with getting service even though we are tucked around the side. So we are happy with the arrangements and don't have to deal with a lot of noise, we get served at the table and enjoy the view.

Very few guests use the MDR especially on port intensive cruises in the Med because many are usually having breakfast in the suite because they want to get off early to explore. I suspect the MDR staff are deployed to help with room service at this time because of the demand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, frantic36 said:

SLSD we dine at the Colonnade for lunch and breakfast. We always ask if they mind if we sit outside but on the side. Even if the table isn't set and they are always happy to do so. We order either the special pasta or usually fish of the day. Though I often see people ordering things like burgers minute steaks etc. Sometimes we like the look of what is being served we may choose to partake of having that but then go and sit in our quiet space.

We never have an issue with getting service even though we are tucked around the side. So we are happy with the arrangements and don't have to deal with a lot of noise, we get served at the table and enjoy the view.

Very few guests use the MDR especially on port intensive cruises in the Med because many are usually having breakfast in the suite because they want to get off early to explore. I suspect the MDR staff are deployed to help with room service at this time because of the demand.

We have done the same.  I've had the grilled salmon a zillion times outside at the Colonnade.   And I am well aware that most people do not dine in the MDR for lunch even when it is open.  I've been thee, eaten there, and seen that.  I've even had people tell me that "nothing is going on there".  I get that.  And yes, we always have room service breakfast when we are leaving the ship early.  I guess I am a bit of a ranter today---unusual for me, but the Hawaiian shirt casual thing going down a buffet line is definitely not our thing.  We always have a great time on our cruises.  We find things to eat and quiet places to be.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I know that.  That doesn't change the fact that business decisions are being made by those not on the ship.  They need to listen to those interfacing with guests.  Just our opinion.  They appear to more concerned about cost savings and slim staff numbers.  We'll see how that works out.  According to one of the posters here, Venture only has 150 guests  (when capacity is 264) right now.  I'm just not encouraged to book a cruise yet---and I am waiting for reasons to be encouraged.  All of us see this differently.  There are those who want to be on a ship no matter what and others who want certain things to be in line first.  I am not at all impressed with having to use the SB App while on board.  Yes, I know you can get a printed version--but who wants to beg and argue.  For me, that is not a pleasant vacation activity.  

Well said!

47 minutes ago, geoffieg said:

Many of our kids and grandkids prefer casual dining...look around at the restaurants wherever you live.

And these kids will grow up to wanting a more formal style of dining.  When you were there age, did you prefer a Frisch''s Big Boy or a Rainbow Room at the Rockefeller Center?  

49 minutes ago, geoffieg said:

We can push Seabourn to return to the traditional service, with required formal attire, set dining times and formal dining

If they expect cruisers to pay the prices that they charge, this cruiser would expect a dining experience superior to one that could be found at Olive Garden or MCL Cafeteria.  

43 minutes ago, SLSD said:

But, I am a potential cruiser who can afford to take luxury cruises, but I'm choosing not to right now.

I am a potential SB cruiser that is shopping.  MSC's Yacht Club fits me.  Will Seabourn "fit"?  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I also agree with MDR lunches on sea days, not everyday so that crew can get a break. They work such long days. 

How about giving the crew who work the casuality self-service buffet crap a break and leave the dining room, which is a necessary component of a "luxury" experience, open.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, geoffieg said:

I 100% agree. Very well said. I can think of plenty more changes that will come… the only question is when.