Offer from O for an oversold cruise

jjeffjb

8 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Why is anyone surprised at this.  Cruising has returned to normal with ships nearly full.

Holiday (Nov/Dec) cruise are always full.

Oceania has always done this at last minute and always after final payment.   They will make an offer, and if no takers will make another with more incentives.  Have had this happen two weeks before sailing. 

Yeah, don't try to tell the one Oceania cruise experts though. They've got it all figured out. 

• Haha 3

Following up on this discussion, I'm on a Sirena cruise that embarks in 6 days and got an email today from Oceania. They want to know if we'd be willing to move down one cabin level.  They're offering the fare difference plus $3000 cash. Or we can cancel and get a full refund. I know this happens but this will be our 7th O cruise and we've never received any kind of offer like this. I was a little surprised to get this at this late date. 

We're not taking them up on their offer but we are expecting a very full cruise.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Following up on this discussion, I'm on a Sirena cruise that embarks in 6 days and got an email today from Oceania. They want to know if we'd be willing to move down one cabin level.  They're offering the fare difference plus $3000 cash. Or we can cancel and get a full refund. I know this happens but this will be our 7th O cruise and we've never received any kind of offer like this. I was a little surprised to get this at this late date. 

We're not taking them up on their offer but we are expecting a very full cruise.

They used to do this  a lot  then someone  in Revenue got smart & they did not overbook so much

Must be a change in managers 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

Depending on where you’re at and what the next level is I would probably take it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

They used to do this  a lot  then someone  in Revenue got smart & they did not overbook so much

Must be a change in managers 😉

In the current cases, I have a feeling that O might have underestimated how many people would have been "ready and eager to cruise again" now.  The software for the reservation/occupancy rates can't really have been developed for the currently odd circumstances.  They probably assumed that there would still be lots of people who would be cancelling, from paid reservations to the "guarantees".   And then... perhaps fewer cancelled and those guarantees had to be accommodated...

Just my thoughts.

All I know is I wouldn't want to be in that particular travel prediction/estimation business many months in advance these days!

GC

• Like 3

They could have my Stateroom with a one level downgrade for $3000+ anytime.  Actually you could call Revenue in the morning and see if you can get an even better offer as Embarkation Day is drawing awfully close. 
Just enjoy your cruise.

Mauibabes 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

We had a similar offer in 2017 which we accepted because the cash refund paid for a VS on a cruise we'd booked for a few months later.  So it was fine for us.  But if we had not had a cruise booked shortly thereafter, I doubt we'd have taken it. However, I thought I'd heard a while back that Oceania was no longer offering these generous downsells.  I guess they have changed their minds.

6 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

Take the money  and downgrade, you going on a free cruise nearly !!

We had the same downgrade offer on Sirena 10/25/22 cruise. It would be a 4 level downgrade.  Like janecambridge,  we have favorite cabins. As we will stay onboard the Sirena from Barcelona to Miami, not interested in cabin change AND deck change. 

• Like 1

Just as an update, we were given the number of 655 passengers currently onboard the Sirena. With several solo passengers, the ship is near full. We also saw one being moved to quarantine, so some cabins are taken that away.

This cruise has issues other than being oversold. 🥺

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Just as an update, we were given the number of 655 passengers currently onboard the Sirena. With several solo passengers, the ship is near full. We also saw one being moved to quarantine, so some cabins are taken that away. This cruise has issues other than being oversold. 🥺

We've 29 days until our Sirena cruise in the E. Caribbean. Will be interesting to see how many passengers and crew will be aboard her.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

We had the same downgrade offer on Sirena 10/25/22 cruise. It would be a 4 level downgrade.  Like janecambridge,  we have favorite cabins. As we will stay onboard the Sirena from Barcelona to Miami, not interested in cabin change AND deck change. 

You can just say "no thank you"  they will keep making the offer  to others  until  they get the cabins they need  to fulfill the GTY bookings

they may sweeten the pot if they get desperate for your cabin 😉

JMO

Looks like Marina Dec. 4 cruise is oversold. Some on the roll call have received an offer to switch to a 17 day Riviera cruise in January 2023 for the same price as the 14 day. No one has taken them up on it, I did not get the offer myself. O will have to sweeten the offer to get any takers. I'd be open if I got free airfare and O life as I'm booked cruise only in an outside. I doubt they want my cabin though.

Edited by susiesan

15 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Pinotlover (me, too), we will be boarding 11/4 in Barcelona. What other problems are you referring to on the Sirena? 

I’ll go into more detail later, but we’ve missed 2 ports in 3 days.

As reported by Kate , who got on the Sirena earlier, the food has been highly inconsistent. The staff has been giving excuses, but the swings in food quality/tastes has been extreme and both noticeable and widely discussed by many aboard. “Best cuisine at Sea” has become a joke line. More later. 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

As reported by Kate , who got on the Sirena earlier, the food has been highly inconsistent. The staff has been giving excuses, but the swings in food quality/tastes has been extreme and both noticeable and widely discussed by many aboard. “Best cuisine at Sea” has become a joke line. More later. 

That's too bad. We're on Sirena next month and it will be our first Oceania cruise. We have two more booked, on Riviera and Vista. But if the food is disappointing we'll probably cancel. It's our priority on cruise ships. If you tout "finest cuisine at sea" and you under-deliver it's sure to disappoint many.

Since the menus are pretty much set, I assume the problems are either in procuring good quality food products and/or poor preparation due to understaffing and/or undertraining. Any details about what the problems are?

6 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Since the menus are pretty much set, I assume the problems are either in procuring good quality food products and/or poor preparation due to understaffing and/or undertraining. Any details about what the problems are?

That would be my guess

Hopefully by next years  things should be better

I think the food varies by ship. It’s disappointing to hear this about the Sirena. We were just on the Riviera, and the food was consistently good across all the dining venues, except for a couple of not so good lamb experiences. I did love the little lamb lollipops in the Terrace grill. 

Pinot, I’m curious to hear your more laters, including what excuses staff are giving for the poor food quality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SophieM said:

I think the food varies by ship. It’s disappointing to hear this about the Sirena. We were just on the Riviera, and the food was consistently good across all the dining venues, except for a couple of not so good lamb experiences. I did love the little lamb lollipops in the Terrace grill. 

Pinot, I’m curious to hear your more laters, including what excuses staff are giving for the poor food quality. 

We were on Insignia, late August/early September.  The cruise was La Havre to NYC.  It was our 19th Oceania cruise and the only time in the end of cruise survey that I rated the cuisine less than excellent.  The difference was especially notable in Polo and Toscana.  I ran into the GM and we had a brief conversation.  I did not mention the food issues.  However, he said that they are not where they want to be, yet, it terms of overall quality.

• Like 1

@MarkWiltonM

As a long time O cruiser, our last trip was on Marina in May and the food was great, do not let a “possible” single negative experience on Sirena drive you to cancelling Riviera and Vista.  Those would be two definite “Don’t Miss” sailings. We spent 46 days on Riviera on her return to sailing last year and it was EXCELLENT. Food taste is very subjective so decide for yourself.  If we have had a less than desireable meal on board, we just have a quiet chat with the Maitre d and make sure they are aware of the issues.  That info goes directly to the Chef and they take action. We did not make an ugly issue of the problems and it was appreciated. We ended up with a table for 6 in Polo at least 10 times on the trip and the meals were excellent. 
Someone mentioned an issue with lamb chops, our experience has been that the Lollipops in the Terrace Cafe are very good but if you are really craving some delicious lamb chops, order them in Red Ginger.  We always order them for the table to be shared among everyone or I just order them for myself. As I understand the sourcing, RG is New Zealand lamb and other restaurants are Colorado lamb. Believe me, it is not bad, different preparation s however and perhaps cooking. 

OK, back to Riviera and Vista, with the 4 Specialty restaurants and more, you can bet the “Finest Cuisine at Sea” will be delivered. I have heard of supply chain issues for some of the top quality ingredients Oceania uses but that will be worked out. You won’t be getting a can of Spam or a box of Macaroni and Cheese and have it passed off as “Cuisine”. Vista will be one of Mr. Del Rio’s crowning accomplishments with his baby, Oceania, and there is no chance dining will be anything less than outstanding. He will be aboard Vista when she sails in May and heaven help the Chef’s if the Cuisine is not over the top. 
Sail and Enjoy and don’t let other impressions negatively impact your experience. Mauibabes

• Thanks 2

MauiBabes, I totally agree! If something isn’t prepared correctly or to your liking, just quietly and kindly let them know. We have always found the staff eager to please and willing to redo or bring something different. 

• Like 1

Yes Sophie and others, an ounce of kindness goes a LONG way on Oceania. I can honestly say that in over 20+ Oceania cruises we have never been treated poorly nor not followed up with if we discussed an issue in a mid cruise survey.  End of cruise surveys are  another issue because there used to be no identification on them. With the new e survey, I am sure it is easier to identify the guests. 

I know all the cruise lines, luxury or mass market are having staffing issues but that will workout over time. Not much different than here in the US where there are over 10,000,000 jobs going begging. Ever tried to hire a contractor, post haste?  I just stopped bye a local florist to send some flowers to a Rep at a travel company and the sign was still up that they were not available for walk in sales nor taking FTD type orders. blame Covid!  We are not back to normal with people willing to work, YET.  

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE,  and killem with kindness.  Mauibabes. 

I’ll try not to be overly verbose. First, we always eat sharing, so my comments are the collection of a cross section of passengers, not just us eating alone.

Some of the food has been excellent, while some has been tasteless and bland. The Chilean sea bass in red Ginger last night was excellent. The lamb in the GDR tonight was likewise wonderful. The typical duck and watermelon salad in RG is a different issue. We love this dish! However, last night it came with out tamarind spices, mint, and cilantro, all the herbs and spices that make it delicious and special. It was bland and disappointing. At our table of six, one couple went on on how this dish in no way resembled what they had about six(6) days earlier, and what a disappointment it was. All the herbs and spices were gone. That’s called inconsistency. This was collectively our opinion, but everyone felt if Oceania couldn’t procure the ingredients for the dish, they should just say the course is currently unavailable. There are plenty of menu options. The chef decided to do otherwise and offer it. There are numerous other examples where previous tasty dishes have turned into tasteless blogs due to an apparent lack of ingredients.

One excuse stated by the staff is that the chef has removed most all salt, except soups, from the dishes. We rarely add salt to anything, but many of the dishes need some salt, imo. I hate trying to decide how much salt my mash potatoes or vegetables need to be tasty. My wife said her unsalted guacamole and egg toast was horrible for breakfast. An adder to this, go to the bars and you now get totally unsalted nuts with your drinks. Unsalted peanuts are not a fan favorite. Another waiter said the older customers write comments saying they want more simple non spiced courses. If you want more flavorful dishes, you must out write them on the comment questionaires.

I realize this is controversial. Our first ship’s performance was Rat Pack stuff out of the 50s and early 60s. We were told they were doing Glen Miller on the cruise before us. In Horizons, between band breaks, they were playing Perry Como over the speakers. There’s a huge sentiment growing of “ Enough of this crap”. Is making it to the late 70s, 80s, or 90s asking too much? If not now, when?

Let me add that the above duck and watermelon salad was not the first dish we’re tamarind was displayed as a prime ingredient and was obviously missing/omitted.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1