Has anyone used MPC (Mobile Passport Control) at Pearson airport for U.S. Customs - how much time does it save?

kazu

Going to the U.S. for the first time in ages for a cruise and concerned about getting through U.S. Customs and the time required.

U.S. Customs is bad at YYZ (Pearson airport).  Normally I like to allow lots of time (like 3 hours) to get through but none of my available flights offer that.

I plan to use the MPC app which is supposed to save lots of time with a priority line.

The best one has one connection but a layover of only 1 hour and 10 minutes.  I am wondering if the MPC will get me through fast enough to make the connection.  

If anyone has used it, could you kindly share your experience and how long it took?  Thanks 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Going to the U.S. for the first time in ages for a cruise and concerned about getting through U.S. Customs and the time required.

U.S. Customs is bad at YYZ (Pearson airport).  Normally I like to allow lots of time (like 3 hours) to get through but none of my available flights offer that.

I plan to use the MPC app which is supposed to save lots of time with a priority line.

The best one has one connection but a layover of only 1 hour and 10 minutes.  I am wondering if the MPC will get me through fast enough to make the connection.  

If anyone has used it, could you kindly share your experience and how long it took?  Thanks 🙂 

I used it last Sunday night. It took about an hour. When we first got into line there were very few people and only 1 agent. By the time we got to the front the line was quite big behind us and there were 4 agents. It sure seemed the way to go. Until everyone starts using it lol. 

15 minutes ago, paulajj said:

I used it last Sunday night. It took about an hour. When we first got into line there were very few people and only 1 agent. By the time we got to the front the line was quite big behind us and there were 4 agents. It sure seemed the way to go. Until everyone starts using it lol. 

Thanks very much 🙂. I really appreciate your post.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, paulajj said:

Just curious, but how was the MPC line compared to the line for NEXUS members?

1 minute ago, paulajj said:

I’m sorry I didn’t notice. 

OK, thanks. A few articles I've read suggest that those who are NEXUS/Global Entry members and also have the MPC app simply pick the shorter line, but I don't know how these lines are configured at Pearson or if a comparison is even possible.

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

OK, thanks. A few articles I've read suggest that those who are NEXUS/Global Entry members and also have the MPC app simply pick the shorter line, but I don't know how these lines are configured at Pearson or if a comparison is even possible.

Ya I’m not sure. The only thing I saw was a giant line lol. We sat on the plane for a 1 1/2 hours waiting for a pile of people to get through security. The only thing I can say is give yourself plenty of time. We went 3 hours early just in case and ended up with enough time to have dinner. Much more relaxing that way. 👍

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I saw that too - haven’t been able to find if it is just one line at Pearson or at Montreal for both or 2 separate lines.

Looks like I’m better off with the two connection flight as it has a longer connection time (just two hours though) at YUL.  I’ll definitely be using the app to try to speed things up.

• Like 1

Thanks all for info on MPC. app....I didn't know it existed.  Input was easy and SHOULD help getting through Customs line at Pearson.  In comments on the app page, one poster mentioned there was no clear signage directing which line to use.  Does it work like the Nexus line?  I've read the Nexus machines are usually out of order (and were even when we last travelled through YYZ 3 years ago - no change - LOL).

Edited by Oceangoer2

My wife and I are both have Nexus, however for the cruise we took in September our daughter who joined us does not have Nexus.  We flew out of Pearson and we used the MPC app.  I think at that time (early September) few people knew about it.  

The MPC line was clearly marked after getting through security/screening(at the time we used it the MPC line was to the very right after security).  No machines to use.   We were third in line.  The regular line was quite long.    Other than the shorter line, the amount of time with the US Border official seemed to the same.

At Pearson it would be difficult to determine what line was shorter NEXUS or MPC before deciding which way to go.  If you have NEXUS that is still the way to go in my opinion.  The week before our cruise I flew to the States and used NEXUS, the machines were not giving a receipt, you just scanned your card and proceeded to the Border Official who confirmed your name and waved you through, less than 5 minutes.

We cruised from Miami and I don't believe using the MPC has of any additional benefit when leaving the ship.  Facial Recognition for Immigration in the terminal which was exactly the same as for cruise in April out of Fort Lauderdale when we did not use MPC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Yesterday we arrived at Pearson Int. Airport 3 hrs. before our flight.

It took us pretty much the whole three hours to get to the gate. They were almost finished boarding. 

I tried to use the app. but it wouldn't accept until we were almost at the customs officer. The different line if the the app.had worked from the start would have saved about 20 min. Nexus saves you time right from the sart.

The main issue was that there were so many people. This was for an 8a.m. departure.

You just have to bring a lot of patience.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Yesterday we arrived at Pearson Int. Airport 3 hrs. before our flight.

It took us pretty much the whole three hours to get to the gate. They were almost finished boarding. 

I tried to use the app. but it wouldn't accept until we were almost at the customs officer. The different line if the the app.had worked from the start would have saved about 20 min. Nexus saves you time right from the sart.

The main issue was that there were so many people. This was for an 8a.m. departure.

You just have to bring a lot of patience.

thanks - connections in YYZ are just not long enough and we do arrive at peak time.  I decided to change my flight with a short connection in YYZ to go through customs at YVR.  At least I have over 2 hours there 🤞 

• Like 1

On the flip side, we flew YYZ to LAX yesterday with Westjet at 10:30am.  Arrived at the T3 parking garage a few minutes before 8am, DH and I have Nexus but a travel companion didn't.  A bit of a line for security in both Nexus and regular  but it moved quickly.  No real lines at the US immigration section. We were in the lounge line by 8:15, our friend was there by about 8:20 or so.

The lounge was packed full with a non-moving line, however.  After 15 min in line we gave up.  The restaurant was full too, and Starbucks was insane.  T3 US departures is the absolute worst for lounge access and food availability.

2 hours ago, bookbabe said:

On the flip side, we flew YYZ to LAX yesterday with Westjet at 10:30am.  Arrived at the T3 parking garage a few minutes before 8am, DH and I have Nexus but a travel companion didn't.  A bit of a line for security in both Nexus and regular  but it moved quickly.  No real lines at the US immigration section. We were in the lounge line by 8:15, our friend was there by about 8:20 or so.

The lounge was packed full with a non-moving line, however.  After 15 min in line we gave up.  The restaurant was full too, and Starbucks was insane.  T3 US departures is the absolute worst for lounge access and food availability.

This is why I always fly with Air Canada T1.

• Like 1

Just got back from a quick trip from yyz to Chicago. Our outbound flight was at 10am on Saturday. The security line was pretty normal starting outside in the hallway.  I have nexus and was able to bring my husband through with me so security was quick.  I had already prepped our passports in the app and filled in the questions ahead of time (was a bit confusing when it asked what your entry airport was - I figured out I needed to out Toronto since this is where customs was) and when I got to airport I clicked the button that says “are you at airport now” and it prompts you to take a selfie of each person and then produces a QR code that must be shown to customs officer along with your passport.  The line for Nexus and regular passengers without anything we’re both longer than this app line.  Some people were coaching others on how to download app and fill it out on the spot so they could join our line!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We used it flying into Miami from Mexico.  Got us into the Global Entry line which was long and with one agent taking a long time.  Funny they were still photographing and finger printing some of them.  About 10 -15 mins in we we asked who was Global Entry and who were MPC.  We were separated and the officer told us, who where at the front of the line, that we would have to wait until all Global Entry people were processed as they had priority. Well another office came and opened up and flagged us over.  He didn't get the memo about the GE folks.  Judging from the original length of the line and how long we waited I am not sure how much time we saved.  Just saying as I saw passengers that were on our plan in baggage claim before us.  I think the time saved will be seen at the counter as they don't have to take your picture.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, Princess Fi said:

We used it for a flight October 28. 2 people in front of us. Will used it again in March as saved us a lot of time. 

4 minutes ago, Magicat said:

We used it flying into Miami from Mexico.  Got us into the Global Entry line which was long and with one agent taking a long time.  Funny they were still photographing and finger printing some of them.  About 10 -15 mins in we we asked who was Global Entry and who were MPC.  We were separated and the officer told us, who where at the front of the line, that we would have to wait until all Global Entry people were processed as they had priority. Well another office came and opened up and flagged us over.  He didn't get the memo about the GE folks.  Judging from the original length of the line and how long we waited I am not sure how much time we saved.  Just saying as I saw passengers that were on our plan in baggage claim before us.  I think the time saved will be seen at the counter as they don't have to take your picture.

‘Thanks both.  It seems everyone’s experiences vary.  I was hopeful it would help me get through faster - guess it’s a gamble either way.  Many thanks.

On 11/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, Magicat said:

Funny they were still photographing and finger printing some of them.

These are probably the folks who are completing their GE application upon their first international arrival.  The slots for interviews to complete the application are so scarce, they now allow you do that on your first "use" of the program, as you arrive into the US.

I don't think they photograph and fingerprint every GE user.

Theron

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

Hello when would you submit the info through the app ... just looking for timelines

Thank You

You can prep it ahead of time but you don’t submit until you arrive is my understanding.

38CC2C93-6384-403B-A2E7-4D9A9D554925.thumb.png.3d903b9d4250782c3a38f911e0bfd1f9.png