Trip Report - Istanbul to Istanbul, RSSC Explorer, 10/19 - 30, 2022

forgap

". . . ..  Medical history and consultation with MD by phone.  Meds arrive in an hour.  . . . "

By "meds arrive in an hour", are you saying the ship got you Paxlovid for the Covid, or just general cold  and flu over the counter type treatments (which of course you could not personally go pick up)?

It hasn't been clear to me if the luxury cruise lines routinely stock Paxlovid (for what it is worth) or not, e.g., if they just go secure it when they get an over 50 and/or "vulnerable" patient. I have read reports of some ship doctors (on different lines) having it aboard

16 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Carolina - Thanks a lot!  The reason why I'm asking...We've never bought travel insurance for our past cruises. We just "self-insured".  I.e., "if something happens, it happens, and we'll just absorb the cost."  But this "Covid Thing" has added a whole bunch of variables to the mix.  So now, I'm thinking about the "wisdom" of buying "some kind of insurance" (and spending the extra money) for our 2 upcoming Regent Cruises...either from Regent's Insurance or maybe from another source.  I'm just not sure what "actual costs" I'd be specifically "insuring" that might not be covered by the insurance I get from my Chase Sapphire Card?

If I'm quarantined in my suite on the ship for the duration of the cruise, my trip hasn't really been "interrupted"...I'm just having to stay in my suite and not able to walk around the ship or go ashore for the rest of the trip.  Right?  Regards.

We normally self-insure too. Before our Splendor cruise in July I bought a partial-cruise policy to get some medical coverage along with trip interruption coverage in case we tested positive at disembarkation and had to quarantine before returning home. Not long after the disembarkation testing requirement was discontinued. 

I did come down with COVID and was prescribed Paxlovid along with cold/allergy type meds. The cost was $800 for the Paxlovid. No charge for the medical service or OTC pills. So assuming insurance eventually comes through with reimbursement I paid $600+ And the hassle of dealing with the insurance company to get back $800.  

I did not submit a claim for trip interruption. I knew the risk going in and still made the final payment. My wife tested negative and with my encouragement moved to another suite and enjoyed solo cruising until I was cleared. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry for your quarantine. It does take a some of the shine out of the cruise.

It's nice to see that you are being served on china, with (I hope) real tableware. On Silversea in June, my DH tested positive on the last night of the cruise (close contact with a friend who was quarantined for 6 days), and they served us our isolation meals in styrofoam takeout containers with plasticware. It just wasn't the same. (I never tested positive nor came down with symptoms, despite extremely close contact with DH.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

By "meds arrive in an hour", are you saying the ship got you Paxlovid for the Covid, or just general cold  and flu over the counter type treatments (which of course you could not personally go pick up)?

Paxlovid was on board and delivered by medical staff.  MD was cautious as there are medicines one has to stop while taking Paclovid.  In addition, G was given decongestants and cough medicine.   Nurses visit two times a day, MD calls once a day.   We feel we are in good hands.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Covidlogue - Day Two

As you know, this is really day three of quarantine but the count begins on day zero.  I’m getting a little bit antsy, a little bit regretful that we reported G being Covid positive.  But, I keep telling myself that we had no way of knowing  how his case would develop.  It is benign right now but could have been life threatening.  

Our port today is Alanya, Turkey and we are lucky enough to have a beautiful view!  

22EAAF44-A0BA-44F1-AA26-C993CD73A12B.thumb.jpeg.5d5ca106f2ff4edc0f4f8b310cc655b0.jpeg

6D0ACDB2-EA23-4C91-81F4-DD2F6BBEB887.thumb.jpeg.be9ba9b8f0742b708fe560a1520d362b.jpeg

But, the pirate ships arrived at nine, blasting music and encouragement in multiple, indecipherable languages as passengers dove off for a swim.  

A93C70DD-8776-46FB-9F18-375132571D05.thumb.jpeg.e0e3f1f69b8ffe6edb3be069e935cc62.jpeg

Fortunately, they were on their way by 11, so now we have a handful of recreational boats in the harbor. 

At my request, the spa sent up a mat, 3 lb balls, and. Pilates ring so we can get some exercise.   The mirrors in our cabin are great motivators to do SOMETHING to counter the slippery slope of age. 

We have enjoyed beautiful weather and very pleasant meals on our balcony.  

CCE83F2C-825F-453F-8930-6D3284449D23.thumb.jpeg.d07b6949c7a574bbb26857839342ab73.jpeg

Tonight I will attempt pre dinner cocktails.  They may just need to send up a mini cocktail shaker with the correct ingredients and a glass so all I have to do is shake and pour!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 3:57 AM, pingpong1 said:

Carolina - Thanks a lot!  The reason why I'm asking...We've never bought travel insurance for our past cruises. We just "self-insured".  I.e., "if something happens, it happens, and we'll just absorb the cost."  But this "Covid Thing" has added a whole bunch of variables to the mix.  So now, I'm thinking about the "wisdom" of buying "some kind of insurance" (and spending the extra money) for our 2 upcoming Regent Cruises...either from Regent's Insurance or maybe from another source.  I'm just not sure what "actual costs" I'd be specifically "insuring" that might not be covered by the insurance I get from my Chase Sapphire Card?

If I'm quarantined in my suite on the ship for the duration of the cruise, my trip hasn't really been "interrupted"...I'm just having to stay in my suite and not able to walk around the ship or go ashore for the rest of the trip.  Right?  Regards.

pingpong1,

Cruise Critic has eaten two previous replies; hopefully the third reply will be the charm. Here is the second reply again:

pingpong1,

I just sent you a long reply which is unfortunately floating in the Cruise Critic ether somewhere. I’ll try again more concisely.

My wife and I were quarantined for Covid for all or part of 10 days on a 17 night June 21 Splendor cruise. We had no out-of-pocket expenses. Chase trip interruption insurance was not applicable to a quarantine solely on the ship. I filed a claim with Regent and two days later I received an email informing me that credits for 10/17 of our total cruise fare had been applied to our respective accounts.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• Thanks 1

This may be a silly question but after knowing a few people who have been testing positive for up to 12 days, do you have to get a negative test, or two consecutive negatives to be released from quarantine? 

Glad you are still keeping your spirits up and hope the cocktail making goes well and you enjoy them. 

I’m not sure, as this is a moot point for us.  Our quarantine is for six days or until the cruise ends, which in this case is the sixth day. I don’t believe that Turkey cares if we are positive or not so off we go for the two days in Istanbul until our flight. 

I can’t speak to current requirements but on our June Splendor quarantine, the requirement was two negative tests or 10 days; whichever came first. Hope this helps.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

On 10/25/2022 at 8:57 PM, pingpong1 said:

The Chase card is primarily for cancellation - up to the policy limits- if it is not related to a pre-existing condition.

Trip Interruption reimburses unused prepaid nonrefundable expenses if you must cut your trip short. Third-party policies also pay for the increased cost of transportation home, but Chase allows for only a change fee. As Dave says, Trip Interruption does not apply to onboard quarantine for the reason you have already expressed. There is no reimbursable loss if one remains on the ship and continues to receive services. I expect the same is true for third-party policies, but it is difficult to speak in absolutes when discussing insurance because there are so many variations. Speak to a travel insurance professional if you are interested in this coverage to see if it is available.

The portion of a travel policy that would cover shoreside quarantine if required is Trip Delay, which will pay for hotel and meals if one is delayed for a covered reason. The Chase card covers delay caused by Common Carrier only - not illness - to a maximum of $500.

The biggest financial risk one faces with travel is medical. Chase offers no coverage. You’d have to depend on your primary insurance at home. Check to see how it covers you when you are out of the country.

In short, Chase offers limited coverage. It is not intended to replace a comprehensive travel policy. It is a perk you get in exchange for your annual fee that will provide a bit of relief in specific instances.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boatmans Lady said:

This may be a silly question but after knowing a few people who have been testing positive for up to 12 days, do you have to get a negative test, or two consecutive negatives to be released from quarantine? 

Glad you are still keeping your spirits up and hope the cocktail making goes well and you enjoy them. 

In July - quarantined for 5 days - 2 negative tests and we were "freed".  Normal activities the last 5 days of the cruise.  Understand the second thoughts on self reporting.  We thought the same.  Will have to say that the paxlovid was very effective - knock the virus out fairly quick.

6 hours ago, Babr said:

The biggest financial risk one faces with travel is medical. Chase offers no coverage. You’d have to depend on your primary insurance at home. Check to see how it covers you when you are out of the country.

I wouldn't say no coverage.  My sapphire reserve card offers coverage for emergency medical evacuation of $100K.  It's far from total medical coverage and I often supplement it with additional medical coverage, but it does cover one very expensive medical travel risk.

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

I wouldn't say no coverage.  My sapphire reserve card offers coverage for emergency medical evacuation of $100K.  It's far from total medical coverage and I often supplement it with additional medical coverage, but it does cover one very expensive medical travel risk.

I was thinking of medical coverage for doctors, treatments, medication or hospitalization. 

The medical evacuation covers hospital-to-hospital transfer if you need a higher level of care. It involves the approval of the participating doctors, the receiving hospital, and the insurance company.  You’ll be treated in country and returned home by commercial air once able to travel.

Your supplemental medical policy likely offers the same kind of coverage for evacuation. If you want the option to make the decision for yourself to return home for treatment, look into a membership in MedJet Assist.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, carolina cruisin said:

In July - quarantined for 5 days - 2 negative tests and we were "freed".  Normal activities the last 5 days of the cruise.  Understand the second thoughts on self reporting.  We thought the same.  Will have to say that the paxlovid was very effective - knock the virus out fairly quick.

Thank you. 

I take it if you don't test negative you stay in quarantine until you do?

It is hard to keep up with it all as it changes so quickly. 

My cousin recently tested positive whilst on holiday in Mallorca and rang the airline to change their flights home only to be told that as long as they masked and didn't have a fever they could fly home, if the wished. 

No they didn't wish and rearranged their flights for 6 days later. 

I will add that they were on a basic cheap airline. 

Covidlogue - Day Three

We arrived in Rhodes today and, again, we have a lovely view.  

FCC62794-CFD6-48F0-8916-E4FF9F5B1C07.thumb.jpeg.4692a4d6c07bf2960ec29d4393e625f4.jpeg

2416361E-6A25-441F-9B15-36D4368D7666.thumb.jpeg.62164faa1dd467cc2e7798c126d87962.jpeg

I have to say I’m getting tired of quarantine as G is not sick at all.  Irish, our nurse, said that they won’t test him until day 5 of isolation.  We are on Day 3 so that means testing on Sunday and then on Monday when the cruise ends.  

I’m getting a little bored with our routine so I asked if they streamed the entertainment…NO.  I asked for one of the tea lights they have in various bars for a more romantic dinner en aire….NO.   Today is the Gatsby cocktail party in the atrium so that’s out too.  

But, the boutique manager is shopping for me by sending me pictures, which is wonderful!  And, the spa sent us some equipment so I’ve invented an exercise circuit in our cabin.  We have books to read and there are always movies to watch.  With all the hardship in the world, I’m ashamed to complain about this experience.  One of my friends called this a Covid spa stay, which it is, so my gratitude goes to Regent!

Covid Spa with a view!  
67B1B1BE-C6BF-4478-B399-1C227075DB25.thumb.jpeg.ccf6b16778522d49bf0196c1185b3477.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 10:37 PM, pingpong1 said:

When will testing positive for Covid (on a cruise) become the same as testing positive for a cold or the seasonal flu?  In other words..."just no big deal", and without the need for quarantining at all? 

More likely Covid will be treated like Norovirus due to how contagious it is.  As you know, if you are diagnosed with Norovirus you're denied boarding or if on board, quarantined.  Same really with Covid.  I imagine this is now the "new normal" for cruising.  

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

More likely Covid will be treated like Norovirus due to how contagious it is.  As you know, if you are diagnosed with Norovirus you're denied boarding or if on board, quarantined.  Same really with Covid.  I imagine this is now the "new normal" for cruising.  

I am betting you are correct. 

Edited by travelwell
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 11:20 AM, cfomac said:

where did you hire the historian from...Access Europe?   let me google that...unless I am reading your message incorrectly

Yes it was Access Europe.  They are very good.  We knew them as Access Italy to begin with and, although fairly expensive, are very very good.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:57 PM, pingpong1 said:

I would check out the insurance.  When I had cancer I went through the treatments (successfully TG) and we had a  South American cruise booked.  I developed a neck abcess and they said I couldn’t go to SA.  It was just a few weeks before the trip and we lost $20,000+ so from then on we’ve done insurance.  When Covid hit I had to cancel the insurance for that trip and they credited it for whatever trip I was taking next.  JMHO!

“If I'm quarantined in my suite on the ship for the duration of the cruise, my trip hasn't really been "interrupted"...I'm just having to stay in my suite and not able to walk around the ship or go ashore for the rest of the trip.  Right?  Regards.”

I had a great experience with Travel Guard, purchased through Steve Dasseos from the travelinsurancestore. I was reimbursed for the 6 days in isolation. I too had wonderful treatment from the Regent staff on Voyager. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2022 at 4:37 PM, Babr said:

I was thinking of medical coverage for doctors, treatments, medication or hospitalization. 

The medical evacuation covers hospital-to-hospital transfer if you need a higher level of care. It involves the approval of the participating doctors, the receiving hospital, and the insurance company.  You’ll be treated in country and returned home by commercial air once able to travel.

Your supplemental medical policy likely offers the same kind of coverage for evacuation. If you want the option to make the decision for yourself to return home for treatment, look into a membership in MedJet Assist.

My wife and I have an annual Trekkers Choice policy with GeoBlue.  You have to live in US and have primary coverage (who doesn't????). OurMedicare Advantage plan qualifies.It provides coverage when you are outside the US.  We pay under $300 for an annual plan that covers an unlimited number of trips, although no one trip can exceed 70 days. It is age dependent and costs more as you get older, and they won't insure over 95 years old.  It includes doctors, hospitals, medications and medical transportation (not with the MedJet flexibility).

A friend of ours fell in Paris and broke her wrist.  They called the toll free number and they told them where to go for care. She was taken care of and they never asked for any payment. Luckily, I've never had to use it.

• Thanks 1