Resolved: The schedule/ship order of when Starlink will be active on the fleet exist

NutsAboutGolf

I asked X on twitter the current starlink schedule, here's how they answered, I highlighted the ships that have deployed it

*Starlink Roll-out schedule, subject to change:

Beyond - 09/05/22

Eclipse-10/22/22

Edge-11/11/22

Solstice-12/03/22

Apex-12/17/22

Reflection-12/18/22

Silhouette-12/22/22

Millennium-01/27/23

Constellation-02/24/23

Equinox-12/22/23

Summit-12/31/23

Ascent-Delivery (to be announced yet)

Infinity-01/30/24

Some good and bad news, particularly the Equinox being super delayed

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, Ben100014 said:

Wow, now that is awesome.

I have to say after using it for two weeks that it averaged out at about 50 Meg Up and 20 Meg down. 

Having said that it appears the Starlink at least in the Mexican Riviera that it had a difficult time holding the satellite all of the times and we would often get no signal for periods of 1 -5 minutes.   Most of the time  I was able to upload my photo intensive Live Post very quickly.   Most photos uploaded in  30 seconds to 1 minute.   In the past on the old system it could take up to 4 minutes to upload a single photo.  

13 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Cell service is pretty good in Iceland 

I was using an EU SIM card , it didn’t work in Greenland 

I have T-Mobile with free international roaming.  They cap your speed a bit but had good access in Greenland and Iceland. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2022 at 12:55 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

I asked X on twitter the current starlink schedule, here's how they answered, I highlighted the ships that have deployed it

Beyond - 09/05/22

Eclipse-10/22/22

Edge-11/11/22

Solstice-12/03/22

Apex-12/17/22

Reflection-12/18/22

Silhouette-12/22/22

Millennium-01/27/23

Constellation-02/24/23

Equinox-12/22/23

Summit-12/31/23

Infinity-01/30/24

Very strange the rollout is delayed until the end of next year for EQ and SM-can't imagine why there would be that severe of a delay unless they anticipate they won't have the capacity to accommodate those ships until then?

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to say after using it for two weeks that it averaged out at about 50 Meg Up and 20 Meg down. 

Having said that it appears the Starlink at least in the Mexican Riviera that it had a difficult time holding the satellite all of the times and we would often get no signal for periods of 1 -5 minutes.   Most of the time  I was able to upload my photo intensive Live Post very quickly.   Most photos uploaded in  30 seconds to 1 minute.   In the past on the old system it could take up to 4 minutes to upload a single photo.  

That is still excellent and more than usable for everything one would need on a ship.

I have T-Mobile with free international roaming.  They cap your speed a bit but had good access in Greenland and Iceland. 

TMO is awesome. 5GB of high-speed data included anywhere in the world pretty much, plus texting.

Have T-Mobile also, if you don't have free international roaming you can purchase a travel pass for $5/24 hours

Google Fi is amazing for travel. 55GB every month in any country and its always at full speed. I never use close to that at home and always have some left over for travel.

Most ports in the Caribbean I get great connections and it handles everything.

Wife is on T-Mobile as she uses an Apple Watch on Cellular and Fi doesn't have it.

Worth looking into if you travel a lot like we do.

On 12/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Beyond - 09/05/22

Eclipse-10/22/22

Edge-11/11/22

Solstice-12/03/22

Apex-12/17/22

Reflection-12/18/22

Silhouette-12/22/22

Millennium-01/27/23

Constellation-02/24/23

Equinox-12/22/23

Summit-12/31/23

Infinity-01/30/24

This is interesting. From the schedule that I saw posted, Reflection isn’t due until May. Can anyone currently on Reflection confirm that it has been done?

38 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

This is interesting. From the schedule that I saw posted, Reflection isn’t due until May. Can anyone currently on Reflection confirm that it has been done?

You’ll prob have better odds asking in a rollcall; I would bet they do have it 

1 hour ago, viperfoth said:

Google Fi is amazing for travel. 55GB every month in any country and its always at full speed. I never use close to that at home and always have some left over for travel.

Most ports in the Caribbean I get great connections and it handles everything.

Wife is on T-Mobile as she uses an Apple Watch on Cellular and Fi doesn't have it.

Worth looking into if you travel a lot like we do.

Google Fi is only good if you are the living in the USA 

Fi's Terms of Service require you to activate and use Fi service primarily in the United States. If you try to activate Fi abroad or use Fi service predominantly internationally, you may have your international capabilities suspended.”

On 12/21/2022 at 1:24 PM, Ben100014 said:

TMO is awesome. 5GB of high-speed data included anywhere in the world pretty much, plus texting.

Only caveat is there is a monthly 5G Data Cap - If you go over that your speed drops to 3G for the remainder of the month.   I accidentally went over the limit uploading  picture  to Cruise Critics while on an excursion. 

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Only caveat is there is a monthly 5G Data Cap - If you go over that your speed drops to 3G for the remainder of the month.   I accidentally went over the limit uploading  picture  to Cruise Critics while on an excursion. 

Indeed, but that's 5GB more than VZW gives you internationally. I couldn't do that on VZW and ATT's international coverage is limited to Latin America. T-MO definitely owns the international coverage game.

On 12/21/2022 at 1:22 PM, Ben100014 said:

Very strange the rollout is delayed until the end of next year for EQ and SM-can't imagine why there would be that severe of a delay unless they anticipate they won't have the capacity to accommodate those ships until then?

Some ships were delayed by months while others were slightly ahead of schedule.  I can't imagine it's a capacity thing but who knows

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

For international phone plans, if you visit a lot of places by land it makes far more sense.  However, if you're mostly visiting for the day on a cruise, you're either busy doing a tour and/or will get hungry and can easily find a bar/restaurant with wifi

On the ship is often when you want/need wifi

As pointed out, you can use a laptop like a travel router to create a hotspot yet even if you have premium wifi, if you're reverse tethering to your phone you won't receive either SMS texts or phone calls (Wi-Fi calling)

Obviously everyone has different internet wants/needs

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 5:38 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

For international phone plans, if you visit a lot of places by land it makes far more sense.  However, if you're mostly visiting for the day on a cruise, you're either busy doing a tour and/or will get hungry and can easily find a bar/restaurant with wifi

On the ship is often when you want/need wifi

As pointed out, you can use a laptop like a travel router to create a hotspot yet even if you have premium wifi, if you're reverse tethering to your phone you won't receive either SMS texts or phone calls (Wi-Fi calling)

Obviously everyone has different internet wants/needs

It was brought to my attention that if you connect a laptop to the ships premium wifi and turn on the laptops hotspot then your phone can make phone calls and send/receive SMS texts.  Occasionally the ships internet works fine but for whatever reason, the SMS and wi-fi calling capability go offline 

On 12/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, Ben100014 said:

Indeed, but that's 5GB more than VZW gives you internationally. I couldn't do that on VZW and ATT's international coverage is limited to Latin America. T-MO definitely owns the international coverage game.

Your correct.   I've never gone over that limit.   Generally it would meet my needs but I was bored on a long excursion and started uploading pictures to my live post.  I learned to wait.  

I definitely over T-Mobile and so far only found one country, Croatia, that it didn't cover.  That county has since been added.