Do you wear noise-canceling headphones on the plane?

Silent Penguin

Typically, I only fly 2 or 3 times a year.  Every time I do, I swear I'm going to buy noise-canceling headphones.  Can anyone recommend a set based on personal experience for someone like me who is not going to wear them that often and isn't ready to make a big investment?  

I use noise cancelling earbuds and absolutely love them.    The new AirPod Pro Second Generation that was just release is the best I have ever experienced.   Currently $239 on Amazon but were discounted last week.

This thread may be taken down as it doesn't specifically relate to Celebrity.  

• Like 1

I used noise cancelling headphones for years, and really liked them. Mine were Bose. Then DH gave me a set of Bose noise canceling ear buds, and I absolutely LOVE them. Comfortable enough  to sleep with them in on overnight flights. DH had a set of NC headphones by Sony that did the job for him.

I've also used them on long European train trips, and when lying by the pool to listen to music without disturbing my neighbours.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 4

Bose Quiet Comfort over ears will always be the go to, but they are expensive.

Anymore, most in ears have some level of active noise canceling. The old Apple Air Pod Pros have fairly good noise canceling, and you can likely find them on sale as the new versions just came out.

I use the new Galaxy Buds2 Pros and the noise canceling on them is excellent.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I use noise cancelling earbuds and absolutely love them.    The new AirPod Pro Second Generation that was just release is the best I have ever experienced.   Currently $239 on Amazon but were discounted last week.

lol.  this is much more important than chair hogs.  Thanks for the tip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Let me help:  Are any noise-cancelling headphones or ear buds sold in Celebrity's stores? 

Edit: Would they help with engine noise or being in that Aqua cabin on Reflection under the bar?

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I've had the same Bose noise-canceling headphones for about 20 years. They're great, but bulky, so I only bring them when flying internationally. I love other people's suggestion of noise-canceling earbuds. 

• Like 3

I bought the Galaxy Buds 2 Pro recently and left my trusty Bose over ears home this trip to Italy.  Noise canceling worked great on the flight and I'm using them aboard the ship to listen to music, audio books, etc.  I'm really sold on NC earbuds now.

In-ear canal earbuds have better noise cancelling, but they can be annoying to wear, especially if you don't use them frequently.  They can cause pain and discomfort after a while.

Over ear may be more comfortable, I have and like the sony wh-1000xm4.  They are one model old so there are frequently good sales for them, and they are more travel convenient than the new xm5 model.  The noise cancelling was class leading at the time, now the xm5 is slightly better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Let me help:  Are any noise-cancelling headphones or ear buds sold in Celebrity's stores? 

Edit: Would they help with engine noise or being in that Aqua cabin on Reflection under the bar?

Never seen them at a Celebrity Store. 

Noise is subjective and after using noise cancelling IPods Pro's I would say probably.   They do not eliminate noise.   When wearing mine out walking and a train passes I use to have to pause the audio book I was listening to.   With the new Second generation I no long have to pause and probably knocks out 80% of the train roar. 

I also have a set of Bose Sleep Buds that don't use noise cancellation but use a noise masking library of sounds.   The work fantastic for me with a snoring partner.  I'm sure they would work for engine noise and noise from the bar.

• Like 1

AirPods are convenient for travel but I finally learned my lesson. On long flights when I want to sleep I play white noise. After an AirPod fell out of my ear 2-3 times while I was sleeping and almost got lost in the seat, I save those for times I know I will stay awake. 

• Like 1

One thing to remember about the Galaxy Buds and similar products is that battery life isn't likely to be sufficient for many international flights.  Neither of the Galaxy Buds (Buds and Buds2) are good for much more than 5 hours when used in noise cancellation mode.  You'll need a plan for charging them mid-flight if you go that route.

• Like 1

I have both the AirPods Pro (1st Generation) and AirPods Max. I’ve used the Pro on trips becuase I don’t like carrying larger things than I need. They work reasonably well to block out or dramatically reduce the background cabin noise, but they aren’t perfect. They do far better than I thought, though, and met my needs.

The AirPods Max (over ear version) would definitely block everything out and are probably more comfortable, though my Pros fit very well inside my ears and I’m used to them. 

To my knowledge, there is not a way to use wireless headphones with the in-flight entertainment system, so if you are planning on plane entertainment, you may need to use their headphones or bring your own that use a cord.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

To my knowledge, there is not a way to use wireless headphones with the in-flight entertainment system, so if you are planning on plane entertainment, you may need to use their headphones or bring your own that use a cord.

I swear, there's an adapter/dongle/whatever to cover every contingency.

Assuming you don't get into an antique aircraft with the dual plug/jack, and it's just a regular 1/8" stereo jack, gadgets like this are widely available.  Don't know if this one is particularly good, but is representative of the concept and gets a lot of good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Portable-Rechargeable/dp/B083J98ZFX

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

Typically, I only fly 2 or 3 times a year.  Every time I do, I swear I'm going to buy noise-canceling headphones.  Can anyone recommend a set based on personal experience for someone like me who is not going to wear them that often and isn't ready to make a big investment?  

I never fly without my Bose. Love them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

. . Over ear may be more comfortable, I have and like the sony wh-1000xm4.  They are one model old so there are frequently good sales for them, and they are more travel convenient than the new xm5 model.  The noise cancelling was class leading at the time, now the xm5 is slightly better.

I have Sonys that are one model older that the above poster's - 1000xm3 - and I am very satisfied with them.    Until splurging on these (a no-name cheaper set were worthless), I was not able to enjoy listening to movies or music on planes.   I am a nervous flyer, and these allow me to focus on music and movies without the drone of the engines - and without hearing the changes in engine noises that make me nervous.   They weren't cheap and they are bulky compared to ear buds, but I wouldn't fly without them.   Watch for Black Friday sales on the latest models.

I also use them walking the track at my local Y to greatly reduce the sound of the bouncing basketballs on the courts below the track.  

Edited by Joanne G.

I have Bose basic noise canceling earbuds that do not allow you to listen to music.  They are good for sleeping, but keep in mind that they require an app with your phone (bluetooth).  On my last cruise, a few weeks ago, I was not able to use them at full volume, and I think this is because I did not have internet, so that might be good to know.  Because I could not get the noise-canceling sound to full volume, I could still hear DH snoring and other sounds such as docking the ship.  They work great for home when I can use them at full volume to block out my neighbor's 7:30 AM lawn mowing.

I also have noise-cancelling Bose headphones that I've had for a long time.  These are comfortable, and the noise canceling feature is good for lessening airplane noise, but do not totally block other passengers' talking.  You can use them for music or to watch movies on an iPad, but you need to use the cord (included) and a dongle adaptor for Apple devices (not included).  I need to bring along batteries because they are not rechargeable.

Finally, I have a set of Beats by Dre.  These I do NOT recommend.   Like the Bose headphones, they lessen engine noise but do not eliminate the sound of people talking nearby.  They are fashionable, and they are bluetooth (convenient!).  They are also rechargeable.  However, they really hurt my head and give me a headache.  I am a small person compared to most people, so I think they might hurt a bigger person's head even more.

3 hours ago, KellyCz said:

I've had the same Bose noise-canceling headphones for about 20 years. They're great, but bulky, so I only bring them when flying internationally. I love other people's suggestion of noise-canceling earbuds. 

Me too!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silent Penguin said:

CruiseCritic is not the best place to ask this question.  However, I have a pair of Sony headphones that I like.  A friend of mine swears by his Bose headphones.