Internet speed on riviera

Divetripnow

7 minutes ago, Divetripnow said:

Hi, thanks for your direction but the link you posted is closed. I’ve tried asking about the internet connection every where. Can’t seem to find out . Yikes, I’m so frustrated. Thanks again for trying. 

The link @ColeThornton provided works fine for me. It is the specific board for Oceania cruise line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Divetripnow said:

I’m taking a cruise in December on the Riviera, will I be able to work from my laptop? First cruise since Covid. Prior cruise had poor, slow internet. But was told Oceana did an update?

any help appreciated!

You might get lucky if you are  working  when everyone is in bed

I would not plan on the speed being any better 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You might get lucky if you are  working  when everyone is in bed

I would not plan on the speed being any better 

The IT manager on an NCL ship told me that ships ops have priority on the sat link, pax gets whatever bandwidth is left over.  Fastest is speed you'll get is when everyone's in bed. The slowest is the last night when the hotel is up-linking your bill to corporate. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Philob said:

The IT manager on an NCL ship told me that ships ops have priority on the sat link, pax gets whatever bandwidth is left over.  Fastest is speed you'll get is when everyone's in bed. The slowest is the last night when the hotel is up-linking your bill to corporate. 

And the last day when everyone is trying to check in for their flights.  EM

I am going to give a generic (and accurate) reply to the OP.  The reality is that, at best, Internet at sea is unreliable in terms of both speed and even working at all!  If you must have Internet for work than you might want to consider another type of vacation.  RCI has recently been pioneering some major Internet improvements (spurred by the utilization of Elon Musk's Skylink system) and perhaps this means that within a few short years we will finally see reliable Internet on ships.  Just in the past year we were on a cruise (Enchanted Princess) where the Internet was down for two days.  

Also keep in mind that Internet at sea is completely dependent on satellite connections.   Bad atmospherics, or a storm, can knock out the Internet for hours or days.  

Hank

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am going to give a generic (and accurate) reply to the OP.  The reality is that, at best, Internet at sea is unreliable in terms of both speed and even working at all!  If you must have Internet for work than you might want to consider another type of vacation.  RCI has recently been pioneering some major Internet improvements (spurred by the utilization of Elon Musk's Skylink system) and perhaps this means that within a few short years we will finally see reliable Internet on ships.  Just in the past year we were on a cruise (Enchanted Princess) where the Internet was down for two days.  

Also keep in mind that Internet at sea is completely dependent on satellite connections.   Bad atmospherics, or a storm, can knock out the Internet for hours or days.  

Hank

Agree....We had numerous "no satellite connection" on some of our cruises this year (some lasting a day) in areas where we could understand it but in others it was a surprise. You just never know.

I believe some RCI ships have started installing the Skylink...and have heard that it may be available sooner than expected.

13 hours ago, Ashland said:

Agree....We had numerous "no satellite connection" on some of our cruises this year (some lasting a day) in areas where we could understand it but in others it was a surprise. You just never know.

I believe some RCI ships have started installing the Skylink...and have heard that it may be available sooner than expected.

Thank you so very much Hank and Ashland, for taking the time to answer my work (internet) questions. We’ve only sailed on Oceania , but maybe looking into RCI.

My Best

Lisa

11 hours ago, Divetripnow said:

Thank you so very much Hank and Ashland, for taking the time to answer my work (internet) questions. We’ve only sailed on Oceania , but maybe looking into RCI.

My Best

Lisa

You're so very welcome. You might check with the particular RCI ship you'll be cruising on as I believe a few have already started using Skylink.

Best of luck to you and enjoy cruising with RCI.