Be Careful What You Buy on Board

nelblu

7 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

If you’ve never travelled in your life, I can understand the confusion.  For anyone else - seriously!  Purchase limits are well communicated by the government.  Don’t blame the cruise line.  Yes, it would be great if they explain process.  And, they probably should.  But, didn’t  anyone think to ask in the shop how it would be handled coming home?  Same goes for OP who is at least diamond.  

In the shop she understood the sales person to mean no tax as it was duty free. The sales person I believe was intent on making the sale.  I was not present so I can't verify the wording. So it is hearsay as to what actually occurred. While onboard she told me she had bought a watch. It did not occur to me she meant a $4000 TAG watch. If I had been in the shop or aware of the large purchase I would have educated her.  

46 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

So all the advertising flyers that went staight into the trash can are a thing of the past?

If I'm not mistaken, all major cruise lines, now a days, are recycling paper, plastic, cans...., just about everything.  

You are missing it Royal doesn't charge you tax in Duty free store 

Now its up to you to be good citizen, Report and Pay 

This would be anybody’s thought knowing Tax will be due if over your legal allotment.

Why do they interfere before you have chance to pay at customs during disembarkment

Someone else defending RCI  Said Because CBC says for them  to assist them to get you pay 

Why not just collect it at purchase 

Than  Theyed have to explain after camping tax will be due. They take your seapass card at purchase and swipe they know where your from and the last drink you had LOL

I’ve never bought anything again in one of there shops . So the OP s  warning is and should be helpful to Royal so the don’t lose other big buyers in future 

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If I'm not mistaken, all major cruise lines, now a days, are recycling paper, plastic, cans...., just about everything.  

Especially plastics.  Paper straws and on my recent Allure sail, I could not get a plastic cover in the WJ for take-out coffee.  But. able to get the tops in the D lounge.

52 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Again, not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are.  It would be nice to get some directions from Royal, especially for newbies.  They have Royal personnel presenting and discussing upcoming ports of call.  They should have ones dealing with Customs requirements prior to arriving.

And will they have a symposium directed at every nationality onboard or just the Americans?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And will they have a symposium directed at every nationality onboard or just the Americans?

Are the port of call discussions just for Americans?

Who is affected the most by the Customs requirements.

Edited by nelblu

You have congured up some big scandal 

crime theory .People just buy expensive things.

Duty free isn’ after 800 I think could be higher now. Most People know they have to pay ( although cruise line sales people  will insist 4000$ watch is duty free . Not illegal but not honest )

They know who you are and where your from USA 

Before you leave ship RCI staff meets you and takes you to private room on shore to pay tax to customs You get to skip all the lines 

That all sounds reasonable and good that Way 

except  RCI. Has an alarm go off when you swipe card to leave ship then pull you off line .The whole time not explaining Why your being not permitted to leave.

(Same process if your bill isn’t paid in full)

Employee not security Then for no better word Parades ( perp walks you )you in front of everybody getting off ship ( Everybody looking and Wondering What they did )to onshore customs office where you pay 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

The leather-clad biker or the hard hat construction worker?

Just an ordinary retired Guy.🤪  

I was just thinking if this event will affect my son and DIL Global Entry/Trusted Traveler status, on their renewal.

Edited by nelblu

28 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Just an ordinary retired Guy.🤪  

I was just thinking if this event will affect my son and DIL Global Entry/Trusted Traveler status, on their renewal.

As you described it, your son declared and paid his duty in the customs office.  Perhaps if RCL hadn't flagged his ship disembarkation and he then tried to pass through customs without making the declaration, it would have been an issue and black mark weighed upon renewal of the Global Entry "privilege" or immediate revocation.  

But since this happened last year and he still has his GE status... oh, wait... .it only SEEMS like we've been at this thread for a year.  lol

Oh.... and I'll blame it on your emoji... because any other explanation will just dig me in a hole.... but I did read this thread from the onset thinking it was a 40ish-something mom relating an experience her early 20-something son encountered.  Mom was blonde and tan, about 5'6".  Despite that, I don't think I referred to you as anything but OP, rather than she.  But if I did, that's why, the image I had of this disembarkation.  But let me update my image data bases...

Edited by PWP-001

1 minute ago, billslowsky said:

Good lord, you want to talk about effective communication with a verbose spiel that few will bother to read.

Oh, I aim to please...

Cross my I's and dot my T's

Effective communication isn't about how concise the message is, instead it's about talking at the level of your audience.  And of course, for me, I like to have some "fun" with it.

9 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

As you described it, your son declared and paid his duty in the customs office.  Perhaps if RCL hadn't flagged his ship disembarkation and he then tried to pass through customs without making the declaration, it would have been an issue and black mark weighed upon renewal of the Global Entry "privilege" or immediate revocation.  

But since this happened last year... oh, wait... .it only SEEMS like we've been at this thread for a year.  lol

Oh.... and I'll blame it on your emoji... because any other explanation will just dig me in a hole.... but I did read this thread from the onset thinking it was a 40ish-something mom relating an experience her early 20-something son encountered.  Mom was blonde and tan, about 5'6".  Despite that, I don't think I referred to you as anything but OP, rather than she.  But if I did, that's why, the image I had of this disembarkation.  But let me update my image data bases...

See your post #164.  3rd paragraph you stated "just as uneasy as the OP and her son felt......."😀

Ps.  I've read every word of your posting.

Edited by nelblu

38 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Did anyone not look at FAQs on Royal’s website?  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/are-the-onboard-shops-duty-free

And:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

These days with virtually the worlds information at your fingertips (your cell phone) there is no excuse for not knowing what is legal or not, what is the limit or not, if you are interested in taking responsibility for your own actions.  All you have to do is type in a question on your favorite search engine (mine is Duckduckgo).  The trick is knowing which sites are legit or not.  I believe that CBP.GOV is a legit site. I'd also tend to believe that what is in Royal Caribbean's FAQ site is their there official policy.  However, Royal isn't to quick at updating certain things.   

• Thanks 2

I don't have the patience to read all nine pages of comments, but some of my thoughts are:

Back in the day when we had to fill out a Customs form on every cruise (tedious!), we knew that if we had spent any significant amount, we'd have to pay, on the spot, when we left the ship.

One time, upon departure, the alarm went off on our cards. We asked what was wrong. "No idea. You must go to Guest Services."  We were totally in the dark, but we had no choice. Were we humiliated? Nope, just perplexed.  As it turned out, we had a significant amount of OBC which we hadn't used.  We assumed it would go back to our credit card.  It would not.  We had to take it in cash.  Being embarrassed did not enter our minds.  Stuff happens.

And finally, at least your post is a lesson for anyone who might not understand, or even think of, what further steps will occur after making a large purchase.  Now we know.  Be prepared.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

Again, not everyone is as knowledgeable as you are.  It would be nice to get some directions from Royal, especially for newbies.  They have Royal personnel presenting and discussing upcoming ports of call.  They should have ones dealing with Customs requirements prior to arriving.

You aren't a newbie.  You have filled out the form in the past.  We make sure we have all the information we need prior to traveling so we do not have any issues.  Being stopped by customs and not being prepared with our declaration form and duty owed is not something we want to happen as it could effect a family members job.  We do our homework prior to traveling.  The thing is, nothing has changed other than they no longer pass out the form to everyone.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

And finally, at least your post is a lesson for anyone who might not understand, or even think of, what further steps will occur after making a large purchase.  Now we know.  Be prepared.

Well done!  this is what it all boils down to.  

7 hours ago, nolimits said:

Ret MP

This is Royal regular way of handling all large$ purchases on ship. 

No one was flagged for anything but there purchase 

I can enjoy your knowledge but at no time did Buyer of a watch do anything wrong 

And didn’t need to be observed all they needed was opportunity to pay which is at customs window once off ship 

Not everybody is a criminal 

well said.  

21 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

well said.  

Really?  What was said that is based upon first hand knowledge?  What was going on behind the scenes?  Did he know that it was a stop based of suspicion or was it a random event?  Was there a informant tip involved?  I don't know and neither does he or you.  

The only thing I agree with or can say is factually true is, "Not everybody is a criminal".  But, we don't know who is until, and I'm saying this for at least the second time, we get inquisitive, following legal bounds, of course.  

And just because someone says they are innocent, doesn't mean they are.  Jails are filled with  "innocent" people, just ask them.  I'm not saying that this guy, who knows nothing about Law Enforcement, is innocent or guilty of anything.  Just that we don't know why the alarm and walking trip, NOT A PERP WALK, to the CBO office was necessary.  

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

And just because someone says they are innocent, doesn't mean they are.  Jails are filled with  "innocent" people, just ask them

Probably at least 30%. Hell, Florida alone has over 30 exonerations from death row. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Probably at least 30%. Hell, Florida alone has over 30 exonerations from death row. 

And the rest are innocent, too, I guess.  My statement was that if you ask them in jail, a very high percentage of them, they'll tell you that they are innocent, fact, not speculation.  And I agreed that not everyone are criminals.  However, those that were/are in jail erroneously, they were put their by a jury of their piers and in some cases by a lack of competent legal representation and in some cases by less than stellar prosecution and law enforcement and some by all the above.  I'll never deny that.  But, none of that has to do with the OP's event.  In fact, he was sent on his way without incident or a criminal report being made.  And there was no "Perp Walk".  

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

BTW, there are currently 330 People on death row in Florida and over the years there has been 30 people exonerated, that's 30 people and that's too many exonerated because of something went wrong, for sure.  But there has been a total of 446 executions in Florida and 99 of them were pre-1976, of those some were Federal and Military.   And the fact that there are exonerations, means that the system is working, to some degree, in these modern times.  

Oh well, this is way off subject.

Not quite the same thing I know but a while ago on a cruise out of Singapore I splurged and bought myself a Mikimoto pearl necklace.  The sales person assured me that I would receive certification from Mikimoto itself once I submitted a copy of the purchase invoice and that, as the ship had run out of forms, this could be done on-line from home.  Well, that never happened did it?  The company itself had never heard of such a practice and I'm left with the knowledge that as per usual, caveat emptor is a rule that cannot be ignored.  As they say, every day's a school day! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1