Icon OTS looks like a joke…

I agree, can't say I am at all interested in Icon. It's a floating water park. I know young families will be attracted by it, guess that means more room and lower prices on the older smaller ships. 

Only thing I liked that I saw was the infinite balcony, but not enough to deal with the rest.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, VernRDH said:

I agree, can't say I am at all interested in Icon. It's a floating water park. I know young families will be attracted by it, guess that means more room and lower prices on the older smaller ships. 

Only thing I liked that I saw was the infinite balcony, but not enough to deal with the rest.

I am game to try Icon once to experience what it has to offer, since it looks very different.  I am also looking forward to hopefully sailing RCCL on one of their older smaller ships in Europe for the summer of 2024 if they go to some great ports that those big behemoth ships cannot fit into.  If on a port intensive cruise, there is no need for all those extra bells and whistles.

• Like 7

Royal Caribbean is marketing to families who want this type of cruise ship, this is perfect for them, kids of every age will be entertained.  They obviously will be the cruise line for active, adventure seekers and families, not the older traditional cruiser. This is the best way for them to continue forward as the younger generations want this.

Celebrity and Princess are better suited for what was the traditional type of cruiser. Holland America will probably not survive once most of the older cruiser set sail on their last cruise.

Edited by Vibe
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VernRDH said:

What is an infinite balcony?

You know this is so typical, I read the same posts before Freedom debuted, then Oasis and now after 5 successful Oasis launches and the most popular cruise fleet in the world, we see it again for this ship.

Different strokes for different folks.  Ya'll have fun, I know we will.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, VernRDH said:

Not interested in infinite balcony if it's anything like Celebrity Edge offers. Give me a regular balcony.

• Like 9

If you look at the videos there is so much more beyond the amusement type atmosphere!!!  One important thing to note is this ship is bringing more floor to ceiling ocean views, something that was always lacking on the Oasis class of ships.  

To each his own….but I believe it’s going to be a huge hit!  We cannot wait to book the Icon and we are in our 70’s!!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

You know this is so typical, I read the same posts before Freedom debuted, then Oasis and now after 5 successful Oasis launches and the most popular cruise fleet in the world, we see it again for this ship.

I'm old enough to remember my Mom and Dad booking the new megaship Sovereign of the Seas after years of sailing on the Song of Norway, Sun Viking, and Song of America.  

"It's going to be SO crowded.  How's your Dad ever going to find a place to sit in the buffet?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Don’t forget about how much hate the Quantum Class received when it first debuted!

• Thanks 1

Well at least RCI addressed the issue of crowded pools.

I for one like combining Two70 and Aqua theatre into new area covered.

I just hope the ship has El loco fresh and Hooked on seafood as well as Jamie’s. They can ditch J Rockets IMHO.

also hope they improve WJ selections too.

must say I am getting tired of orange and green around the pools though. Too bad no pools are covered as storms and rainy weather will happen.

• Like 2

Most young families with small kids aren’t going to be able to afford to sail on Icon by the time it’s operational. They’ll be too concerned with getting a home loan for less than 12% and affording basic groceries. 
RC won’t be able to discount tickets enough because of the huge cost of sailing that behemoth. The timing of introducing any new cruise ship stinks especially one with a niche target demo that is struggling to pay for daycare. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

I looked at a video of the ship on youtube.  I doubt I will try the water slides and other features that are for young people, but the ship looks incredible.  I will never see all those different cabins when on the ship, so it was fun to see them on the video.  I know I will go on the ship once just to see it, but i suspect it will be really expensive in the beginning. I thought it was an Oasis class ship, but it is a new class, the Icon class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest BigRoger
5 hours ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

Don’t forget about how much hate the Quantum Class received when it first debuted!

(I still do hate Quantim class ships!….. But it’s a case of each to their own!)….

Icon is exactly what RC wanted to make it - a fantastic floating version of cococay….. effectively it’s a ‘perfect day st sea’ concept for families and to that end it’s hugely impressive.

It’s not for me as it stands even though I love Oasis class ships as it’s a further move in a direction that’s not what I want to sail on….

But it’s certainly very good and looks  ‘perfect’ for the target segment…. For me it’s one to watch for a year or two when it’s out and see how it’s shapes up and maybe sample it when prices come down… who knows 

Edited by BigRoger

7 hours ago, Vibe said:

Celebrity and Princess are better suited for what was the traditional type of cruiser. Holland America will probably not survive once most of the older cruiser set sail on their last cruise.

Everyone ages and people's wants and needs changes, what you want at 35 with a young family may not be the same as when you become a retired couple in your late 60s or 70s.  

For instance I would like more Enrichment lectures or art classes now.  

Therefore it's stands to reason that as the older generations take their last cruise there will be new older generations coming along whose cruising requirements may of changed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

What is an infinite balcony?

Check it out on the bigger celebrity ships. Basically the balcony is part of the room and has a big window which opens to create a connection with the ocean.  I had one on Beyond and quite liked it. Very different from traditional balcony but makes the room bigger

Given the choice would prefer traditional though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Everyone ages and people's wants and needs changes, what you want at 35 with a young family may not be the same as when you become a retired couple in your late 60s or 70s.  

For instance I would like more Enrichment lectures or art classes now.  

Therefore it's stands to reason that as the older generations take their last cruise there will be new older generations coming along whose cruising requirements may of changed.

Good point.  The cruise lines that cater to the newer older generations will probably have to adapt to the tastes of that generation.

• Like 1

Looks interesting but I just know they are going to cram so many people on each sailing it just won't be as relaxing as it is going on a smaller ship.

If you like waiting in lines for everything then I guess it's the ship for you.

Most times I just don't have the patience for stuff like this anymore.

Imagine 3500 kids on this ship. 

I think they could just park it somewhere forever and then sell it that way......They wouldn't have to spend money for fuel and they wouldn't have to over crowd the Caribbean islands they are going to. Imagine this ship pulling into an island with 2 or 3 other ships at the same time. It will be over crowded and not enjoyable on the port stops.

Just park it somewhere and sell tickets for the day at a more reasonable price then you are going to see when bookings open next week.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6

The nice thing with Royal is that they have ships for everyone.  If you just want the original ship with pools, views, food and entertainment and nothing else, then you can book one of the older ships.  Royal is expanding to be attractive for families.  Before the amplifications started, none of their ships had water slides (not including the single small one on one of their ships).  When looking for our family years ago, we checked out Disney due to this (but then booked Royal due to cost).  Then they started adding slides, laser tag, etc to some of their ships. No question that Icon is definitely geared towards families.  It's something I would look at for sure when booking with our teens as it looks amazing to us (DD13 was so excited when she saw it).  If just DH and I, then it's not the top of our list.  That's what's so great about Royal.  It's not for just one group as they  have variety.

• Like 5