Euros

RMLLEL

4 hours ago, RMLLEL said:

Can I buy euros onboard the Apex?

Thanks.

You would do far better buying before boarding.

On our more recent med cruises we find we need less and less Euros. Just a few for tips off ship and an occasional street vendor. Even small bars on small Greek Islands now invariably take cards.

Owing to the high pickpocketing incidents in parts of Europe it can be worth taking a card with a low credit limit on it for off ship rather than the card you are registered with on ship. Can save a lot of messing if you are unlucky…

We've been to Europe a couple times since Covid.   Almost universally credit card touch-less is the preferred payment method everywhere from buses, payphone, parking meters, stores etc etc.    I use ApplePay (with a ChaseCard) and was used almost universally.   Even used one at a Hotdog Stand in Peggy's Cove. 

It is always a good idea to have a small amount of cash.    We usually keep some on hand but if needing to get some we usually use a ATM card that reimburses for ATM fees and International transaction fees.     I personally find the airport ATM fees don't give the best rates and I find the best rates are at Large Local banks ATM's in town.   

• Like 1

Last trip to the EU we toured on our own for 3 weeks.  We needed cash exactly three times.

Don't laugh - all three we needed coins for pay toilets.  Everyone else accepted credit cards (generally not AMEX) or did not accept cash.  Even vendors at local markets.  

Thus we travel.with about 10€ in coins.  Get those at an ATM or bank on arrival in the EU.

Just do not rely on the stated "10 Euros".

There are still quite a number of vendors, taxis, restaurants, sights all over Europe which only accept cash.

You might run into none of them or it might be eg. the taxi you urgently need.

Thus I would recommend quite a bit more, at least € 100.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thus we travel.with about 10€ in coins.  Get those at an ATM or bank on arrival in the EU.

I've used ATMs all over Europe and have never come across one that dispenses coins.

31 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Thus I would recommend quite a bit more, at least € 100.

Totally agree.  €10 wouldn't go very far for us.

Just as @-Lew- I've never come across an ATM in Europe which dispensed coins.

But back to our OP's question -- When we have been on Celebrity ships sailing in European waters Euro has generally been on board, but the exchange rate will be horrendous.  My husband was at Guest Relations for another issue and that particular ship had posted the exchange rate on a sign on the GR counter.  You do not want to exchange on a ship.

4 hours ago, -Lew- said:

I've used ATMs all over Europe and have never come across one that dispenses coins.

Totally agree.  €10 wouldn't go very far for us.

Of course ATMs don't dispense coins.  You take a paper note and exchange it at a bank or most stores if you buy something will change bills for coins.

While some pay toilets accept credit cards - most we found require coins. 

On European cruise itineraries on Celebrity,  one of the ship's ATMs usually dispenses Euros at the current daily exchange rate of the bank.  If you get fee rebates from your own bank then this is an easy way to get Euro's at the prevailing cost.  Agree do not use Guest Relations.

4 hours ago, TwoGee said:

Try AAA or Wells Fargo bank. We found good exchange rates through them.

Good idea for sure.    Iain often orders foreign exchange with Wells Fargo on line and we pick it up at our local.    Living in Silicon Valley it is pretty easy to just drop in and get Euros, Pounds and Yen. 

Another method I have participated in before, was to do a private exchange with a guest that was offering on our Roll Call.    It was a TA and they wanted USD and I needed some Euros.  We both only wanted $20-30 worth (small bills and coins).

Edited by Jim_Iain

We just returned from Europe and we did a few tours, not ship tours, and paid for the tours  before arriving.  We used euros to tip the guides and the only time we used a taxi the driver asked if we could pay in euros, which we did.