On-line check-in question

sbaker

It's been quite a few years since we've sailed with RCCL.  We have a family cruise scheduled over Christmas.  How soon will we be able to do the on-line check-in?  Will we be assigned a boarding time during that on-line check-in?  Anything in particular we need to do if we want to be able to board as early as possible?  Thanks for your help!

9 minutes ago, sbaker said:

It's been quite a few years since we've sailed with RCCL.  We have a family cruise scheduled over Christmas.  How soon will we be able to do the on-line check-in?  Will we be assigned a boarding time during that on-line check-in?  Anything in particular we need to do if we want to be able to board as early as possible?  Thanks for your help!

You can check in online or using the app 45 days prior to your sail date. At that time you can select your check in time, not boarding time at the embarkation terminal. Nothing you can do in advance to get onboard when you want (early). BTW, the line starts behind me. 😁 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

You can pick a check in time, usually at 45 days out. You will start boarding depending on how early of a check in time you have. There is not a set boarding time. If you want to get on ship early, then pick an early check in time. That means picking your check in as soon as it’s available. That is usually at midnight from where the ship leaves from.

Edited by crzndeb

13 minutes ago, sbaker said:

Thanks!  Help me understand "check-in time" vs. "boarding time".

Selecting your check in time is when you are scheduled to show up at the embarkation terminal to be checked in. Boarding time is when boarding starts. You don't get to pick you boarding time. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, sbaker said:

Some people will continue to call check in time, boarding time. Nobody knows when boarding times will start. In a perfect scenario, it may be between 10-11. In other situations, it may be delayed and not start until noon, or with me a couple of times, 2pm. I have never seen on any paperwork prior, anything that says “boarding time”

So the check-In time is just when you get to go inside the terminal and show your passport and paperwork? Then what happens? Do you stand in a line and wait for them to start letting people board? Or do you find a chair and hang out until an announcement of some sort is made? And at that point, how is it determined who gets in line first? Is it a free for all, with people knocking down old ladies and running over babies? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And boarding order is based on cabin type (suites first), purchasers of the Key, Crown & Anchor level then general boarding. This means even if you have an early ARRIVAL time, you may be at the back of the line for boarding.  And yes, there are chairs in the terminal and announcements made.

Edited by poocher
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

So the check-In time is just when you get to go inside the terminal and show your passport and paperwork? Then what happens? Do you stand in a line and wait for them to start letting people board? Or do you find a chair and hang out until an announcement of some sort is made? And at that point, how is it determined who gets in line first? Is it a free for all, with people knocking down old ladies and running over babies? 

You will go to an area where everyone is waiting to board. There will be a place to sit and once boarding starts, you will be allowed to board based (more or less) on the time you arrived.

• Thanks 1

We just did ours a few days ago for Thanksgiving.  To be clear it's not "check-in" or "boarding-time" you select.  It's your "wellness check" time.  I did online check-in the first day we could and I didn't wait up until 0001 hours.  I checked in around 1030 hrs and was able to select 1130 hrs for our "wellness check."  Our son did his yesterday and was still able to select 1300 hrs.  

2 hours ago, sbaker said:

People use the terms interchangeably, but technically: 

- Check-in time is when you're expected to arrive at the port /present yourself to the terminal staff /go through the boarding process.  As an above poster said, this includes a wellness check.  When you complete the check-in process (online 45 days before your cruise), you'll choose a time frame; for example, you might choose 10:30 - 11:00.  You'd be expected to arrive during that 30 minute time frame.  

- Once you've gone through the X-ray area, had your passport checked, your picture taken -- then you'd board.  You can't really know what time you'll board -- it depends up on how busy the terminal is -- but that is your boarding time.

Last month, when we boarded Explorer in Miami, we had the coveted 10:30 -11:00 time check-in time.  We were admitted a little earlier and actually set foot on the ship at 10:28.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sbaker said:

open up your app and swipe to the left……down at the bottom it will show you exactly what day your check in opens….

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Lately the "wellness check" is only 3 questions, and can be answered weeks before the cruise via the app.

True and I already did that for our Thanksgiving cruise.  But it still made me pick a time for my "wellness check" at the pier.  I assume it's just when they want to see my vax or test results.   

8 hours ago, blueslily said:

I have a quick question. Is it better to check in using the app or logging in on the website? Are there any differences? 

On the app, you have fewer steps to be able to choose a check in time (and do the rest later) have the ability to scan your passport and take a selfie - otherwise, they are the same. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Biker19 said:

On the app, you have fewer steps to be able to choose a check in time (and do the rest later) have the ability to scan your passport and take a selfie - otherwise, they are the same. 

Ok. I'm checking in tomorroww via the app. Very excited. Returning to Symphony!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mikefromny said:

Sorry, I'm playing stupid a little, but I just want to make sure I check-in ASAP when available. What time can I start my check-in? I'm on a 1/14/2023 sailing and my check-in date is 11/30/2022.

Thanks in advance!!!

On 11/30, just after midnight ship's boarding port time.  So if you're boarding in Miami,  checkin begins just after midnight 11/30 Est. If it doesn't work on the app try using the website.  All you need to do is start the checkin and pick your boarding time for your group.  The rest can be done later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 6:42 PM, blueslily said:

Ok. I'm checking in tomorroww via the app. Very excited. Returning to Symphony!

If your app opens for check-in tomorrow, you can do it tonight (at 12:01am) to secure the earliest time.   Be sure to have passports ready to scan in.

Edited by BobNoxious
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BobNoxious said:

If your app opens for check-in tomorrow, you can do it tonight (at 12:01am) to secure the earliest time.   Be sure to have passports ready to scan in.

Actually you don't need to complete the check in.  You just need to start it and pick your boarding time.  You can finish, including adding passport,  at a more civilized hour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the great responses to my questions. I guess I'm going to sleep very late that night.

Another question, if I'm going with my wife do we both need to check in individually to get the same time or can I check in and we're both given the same time since we're in the same cabin?

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, mikefromny said:

Thanks for the great responses to my questions. I guess I'm going to sleep very late that night.

Another question, if I'm going with my wife do we both need to check in individually to get the same time or can I check in and we're both given the same time since we're in the same cabin?

Thanks!

Once you have a time reserved, it will tell you to make sure you arrive with your party to check in together. You can check in separately if you want/need to but you can both check in at the same time if you want.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mikefromny said:

Thanks!

I check my dh in when I do mine.  As I said I just do basic stuff and pick check in times and finish the next day.  For our January cruise checkin is 11/22, the day we fly to our daughter's so I'll only get basic done that day.

• Thanks 1