Sewage and cigars

fizook

7 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Then, the next one comes on board with the new/old rules, that are ignored, and said smoker is allowed to remain smoking cigars outside, then the rules change to accomodate them and rule changes back and so on and so on.....  It's not rocket surgery.   Cigars only in Connoisseurs Club.  That's it.  Don't care how much of a tantrum the fool has. Unceremoniously offloaded at the next port.

These areas include designated tables outside of the Panorama Lounge and the Pool Bar

• Thanks 1

While we like Silversea very much, I'm betting that the head office is aware of this thread and have chosen to allow a clearly weak and ineffective Captain to remain in charge. They should be concerned that he seems to be powerless and would be a problem in the event of an emergency. I personally don't care about the cigars as much as their refusal to enforce their own rules. There a lot of people on this site who have more cruise nights than I can possibly imagine and the fact that this issue is ongoing is very troubling. When there are no consequences, rules are useless.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

While we like Silversea very much, I'm betting that the head office is aware of this thread and have chosen to allow a clearly weak and ineffective Captain to remain in charge. They should be concerned that he seems to be powerless and would be a problem in the event of an emergency. I personally don't care about the cigars as much as their refusal to enforce their own rules. There a lot of people on this site who have more cruise nights than I can possibly imagine and the fact that this issue is ongoing is very troubling. When there are no consequences, rules are useless.

Are you suggesting that because the Captain has decided against ordering this passenger to follow the rules on smoking that same Captain might not cope if the Wind hit an iceberg?

Let's not forget that this Thread started with the complaint of the sewage smell aboard the Silver Wind.  Then it transitioned over to the cigar smoker.  Seems to me, they are inextricably connected.  The cigar smoker is doing his best to try to mask the awful sewage smell with the sweet and piquant aroma of rich cigars made from the finest tobaccos in the world.  And how is he rewarded for his chivalrous actions?  With a diatribe of boorish comments against him on this site.

My good sir, there are some of us who salute you for your efforts to improve the betterment of Mankind! 

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, fizook said:

Below is the Silver Wind's specific smoking rules. It shows up on the Daily Chronicle every few days.

Although a bit confusing the last sentence is quite clear where cigar smoking is allowed.

And what Ryan82 posted from SS website says only on open Deck 9 on Silver Wind.

on open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind

He is in fact breaking the cigar rule, the ship's Hotel Director agrees that he is but will not take any action to stop it. She says he's been reprimanded numerous times but refuses to stop. I say "bullsh%t". I've not seen one officer talk to him. 

Neither will they change the wording to make it less confusing. A very unprofessional bunch I'd say.

image.png.516be3a8af2371f08f188057623ae038.png

OK, wear shorts to dinner—tell the house manager you’ll change when they enforce all rules.

7 minutes ago, boccenana said:

Don't you all think it's time to end this ridiculous banter?

I for one are unfollowing.

Have better things to do, like finish packing for our wonderful Silversea cruise leaving on Thursday.

Tata.

Don't forget your cigars

Whilst I can see how this could be annoying, I doubt whether this guy is actually out chain smoking cigars. For one, their not cheap, and for two, not many cigar smokers smoke one literally after the other.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:06 PM, Ryan82 said:

I smoke cigars. I think people need to calm down - it's not that offensive.

No offense, but I have found that people who smoke cigars often have very insensitive sense of smell and taste, not necessarily causally linked to the cigar itself.  I have Master of Wine friends and a lot of experience with related research about taste and smell.

One can’t assume their perception matches those of others and research supports this, sort of like sunburn sensitivity.  Some painfully burn in a few minutes, others bronze painlessly for hours.

This is why some sensitivity to the impact we have in others is important.  

For example, I can smell people smoking in their cars, windows down , from behind them on the freeway.  And it can bother me. I have a very sensitive sense of smell, not always a blessing.

Anyway, good information in the thread about SS and odor ventilation.

peace

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

No offense, but I have found that people who smoke cigars often have very insensitive sense of smell and taste, not necessarily causally linked to the cigar itself.  I have Master of Wine friends and a lot of experience with related research about taste and smell.

One can’t assume their perception matches those of others and research supports this, sort of like sunburn sensitivity.  Some painfully burn in a few minutes, others bronze painlessly for hours.

This is why some sensitivity to the impact we have in others is important.  

For example, I can smell people smoking in their cars, windows down , from behind them on the freeway.  And it can bother me. I have a very sensitive sense of smell, not always a blessing.

Anyway, good information in the thread about SS and odor ventilation.

peace

Not necessarily true. I can smell a can of coke opened the other side of the office.

I too can smell people smoking in their cars windows down...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan82 said:

Not necessarily true. I can smell a can of coke opened the other side of the office.

I too can smell people smoking in their cars windows down...

Fair enough.  Then you could see how a powerful odor, which cigars are, will definitely impact others.  

If one has a powerful negative association with that smell it can be very unpleasant.  Ever met people for whom cilantro tastes like a bad soap?

I love cilantro but would never force someone to eat it that has that genetic marker.  Trying to make a comparison.  Things like alcohol and tobacco smoke are poisons that make children ill, but adults acquire tolerance over time and may grow to enjoy it.  I included alcohol because it is something I enjoy.

(edit) but not trying to lobby for any SS rules one way or the other, just pointing out that cigar smoke is very unpleasant to some of us.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan82 said:

Whilst I can see how this could be annoying, I doubt whether this guy is actually out chain smoking cigars. For one, their not cheap, and for two, not many cigar smokers smoke one literally after the other.

Not really true.  I worked with a guy that told me he smoked a cigar when he shaved in the AM.  Constantly smoked cigars, several Churchills a day.   I know many cigar smokers that smoke them all day long.  

At this point I wouldn't give the guy the satisfaction of getting annoyed or ruining my vacation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pizzasteve said:

Ever met people for whom cilantro tastes like a bad soap?

I've heard of that.  It's genetic, I believe.   Same with some people (like myself) who don't like IPA beers because of the bitterness.

3 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I've heard of that.  It's genetic, I believe.   Same with some people (like myself) who don't like IPA beers because of the bitterness.

Anyway, glad to discuss respectfully.  I have smoked cigars and on cruises find them fine in the right settings.  That said if people are clearing out rooms because of me, I might move to the appropriate lounge.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Anyway, glad to discuss respectfully.  I have smoked cigars and on cruises find them fine in the right settings.  That said if people are clearing out rooms because of me, I might move to the appropriate lounge.

Same - glad to discuss.  I hope you understand my post earlier about the cigar smoker on the Wind was tongue in cheek.  Speaking of which, I used to smoke cigars but gave it up because I don't like the long aftertaste, which is not pleasant.  Brushing teeth, rinsing with mouthwash, etc. just doesn't eliminate the strong burnt acrid taste.  Which is too bad, because there are times when smoking a cigar can be a very pleasant experience.  But if I ever thought I was disturbing other people with my smoke, I would certainly move away or cease my activity.  It is just common courtesy - something which may not be as common these days.

Edited by Rothko1
  • Like 2

I am appalled that the smell of cigar smoke is being compared with sewage. It is an odious comparison and an affront to many decent people who have spent a life-time working in the sewage industry. As the Executive Director of the Sewage Workers of the Americas, I would ask that you consider the importance of sewage to society versus the value of a cigar butt. I rest my case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, boccenana said:

Don't you all think it's time to end this ridiculous banter?

I for one are unfollowing.

Have better things to do, like finish packing for our wonderful Silversea cruise leaving on Thursday.

Tata.

Oh please don’t go. Is it something we said?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Oh how I miss the days of yore when people merely complained on a daily basis about the dress code and food.  And, too bad that the granny who bowls little balls on the campo will miss this post. 😢

Do I really need to wear a jacket on formal nights or could I just get away with a fleece? 

• Haha 1