Delivering a Webcast while onboard

CarolGS

My friend will need to deliver 2 business related webcasts while sailing Liberty of the Seas.  How reliable is the Voom Surf and Stream service?  Also, is there a business center onboard from which he can work if necessary?   Thanks.

41 minutes ago, CarolGS said:

My friend will need to deliver 2 business related webcasts while sailing Liberty of the Seas.  How reliable is the Voom Surf and Stream service?  Also, is there a business center onboard from which he can work if necessary?   Thanks.

It's pretty reliable for email and doing some 'facetime'.  But if I was doing a business webcast?  I don't think I'd have much confidence.   No business center.  

Edited by rockmom

8 hours ago, Tin can said:

There is a conference/meeting room on Liberty which would provide a professional location for the webcast but I’m not sure the internet would remain consistent enough.

I think you need to work with Royal to 'book' that space, if I recall correctly.  It's not generally open, public space.  All the ships have some sort of conference facilities as they do market to corporations that they have the capabilities to host large business meetings--and are more fun  and cost effective than using a hotel for a conference/convention.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are sailing after the new Starlink internet service is active on the ship, then he shouldn't have problems at any point during the cruise. Based on internet speeds that people have tested so far, Starlink is a game changer. Unfortunately, it's been difficult to find out when individual ships will have Starlink fully functional.

Also, a few ships may have some "older" routers, switches, etc. and may not handle the increased bandwidth as well until they upgrade all of that equipment. If Liberty is upgraded to Starlink, then after you're on the ship, find the location where he plans to do the webcast. Check it out and make sure that location has adequate service. Then, go find a back up location to do the webcast - just in case the primary isn't working properly the day of the webcast.

I suggest watching all of the Liberty threads and asking current passengers/Guest Services, etc. what the word is on when Liberty will be upgraded to Starlink. I have not seen any announcements on individual ships. It's all been rumor. The most recent formal announcement I've seen was that RC stated that the fleet will be converted by the end of 1Q2023. If your sailing is before the Liberty is upgraded, forget what I just said 🤣

• Thanks 1

I've had to do this on multiple occasions.  It's spotty, and more times than not I have had issues.  That being said, if it's possible, just say you're on a cruise ship and technology what it is.  Rejoin when you get dropped,  Setting the proper expectations is going to be key.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Any chance you will be in port when these need to be delivered? In which case, would be better to go to a Starbucks or something. I would not guarantee on the internet on ship to be robust enough for this.

My wife almost fired an employee for attending a webinar at a Starbucks.  Couldn't imagine having someone present from there.

I would deliver it from your cabin if the Wi-Fi there is solid.  Put out the do not disturb magnet.  Try to schedule it off peak -not on a sea day afternoon or evening- in port is good also.  Buy the streaming upgrade and put the software in low bandwidth (not HD) mode.  I had to attend a board meeting via Zoom - had the middle package - in a few places things slowed down - got dropped maybe once.  

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Starlink is indeed up and running on the ship. Depending on your location the signal strength may vary. Check out my review for some of the speed tests I did on board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2887375-sea-dog-is-live-with-life-on-liberty-and-the-pursuit-of-happiness-in-the-mdr-10-16/

I read through most of your review but I don’t know if mentioned, did you have the Surf + Stream package or just the Surf package with those speeds you were posting?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

I read through most of your review but I don’t know if mentioned, did you have the Surf + Stream package or just the Surf package with those speeds you were posting?

I had the Surf + Stream.

• Thanks 1