Celebrity Newbie questions

So, we are new to Celebrity, but have cruised just about every other mainstream cruise line. We booked a last minute cruise this coming thursday last night which we have never done before, but our VRBO got cancelled last minute and this 4 day cruise turned out to be a better deal than booking another one.  Thanks for everyone's help with Aqua vs Concierge suites.  

We do have a couple questions given the documentation we have received to date has been somewhat vague.  We did book online through the celebrity website which was pretty easy, but we got very little in email as to what was included.  

Questions

We did verify that we have the drink package, assuming classic, wifi and gratuities.  My question is how difficult is to upgrade the drink and wifi packages once on board assuming there is no way to do it prior because the prices listed look to be full price.  $75 pp per day.  Im going to guess we get some credit for already having the classic package.

Should we wait to book the spa treatments when we get on the ship? Again, this is something we usually do months in advance but given we are so close to the sail date we are thinking we might get a better deal if we wait?  Especially if we do it during a port day because we dont plan on getting off the ship in nassau.

We usually buy the dinner packages when we cruise on RCL or NCL, but when we were cruising on Princess and HAL, before kids, the food in the MDR was pretty good.  Is that the case on celebrity?

Do they make you take a covid test then you get to the port or just look at vax documentation?  We sailed NCL last december and it was a pretty extensive testing process when we got to the port.  Just wondering if that has relaxed a bit

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give us.  We were really stressing last night about booking a cruise so close to the sail date, especially a line we have never been on.  We are also flying to miami the day of the cruise which is also a big no no for us.  But it is a 6:50am flight so fingers crossed that goes as planned.

You can easily upgrade your drink package once you board the ship.  This can be done when you buy your first drink.  You will pay the price difference between the two packages plus the corresponding gratuity.

We've never had a problem making spa reservations once on the ship.  We usually wait until we have the activity schedule for the week prior to booking.

As is common with most cruise lines...some cruisers love the food, some abhor it.  I suggest you try it before allowing anyone to sway your opinion.  We have eaten better and we have certainly eaten worse.  

Depending on where you are sailing from and how long your cruise is, you may or may not need a covid test prior to boarding.  Check the main X website for details.

I suggest you try your drink package for a couple of days to see if you really need to upgrade. MIxed drinks at most bars are made with well liquor unless you specify a premium brand. There are some higher end wines on the premium package, but, again, you may be content with the classic. I have done both and can live with either. 

Others have already addressed that it is easy to upgrade your drink and WIFI packages on board, but you can also do it before your cruise and only pay the difference by calling Captains Club at 800-760-0654. Don't press any menu prompts and you'll be connected to a person who should be able to do this.  You mentioned that you've cruised most other mainstream cruise lines and if you've cruised on Royal Caribbean, your Crown and Anchor membership will be reciprocal to Celebrity's Captains Club up to Elite level (Diamond on Royal). If you don't have a Captains Club number get one and have it applied to your booking.

Currently cruises from U.S. Ports 8 day or less do not need a covid test.  Over 8 days you need a self administered test  and a photo of results.

You can upgrade drink package at any bar or bartender.   The bartender will love you as they get a bonus for each sale.    Internet can be upgraded directly from the Celebrity App or Web browser when you setup you account.

As food is subjective I would try it out and then at any time you can either by a dinner package  or dine adhoc.

2 hours ago, 20165 said:

As others have said, you can upgrade your beverage package onboard. The bartender that processes the upgrade will love you, as they get a "bonus" for the upgrade.

Since you are in an Aqua stateroom, your dining room will be Blu, which is just for those in Aqua. The food there is definitely a cut above the regular Main Dining Room.

Unless something has changed since last month, you just need to show your vax documentation at check-in. No testing required for cruises less than 9 nights.

Found this tour - hope it helps.

We're booked for this same itinerary in February. While we've sailed Celebrity a lot, we've never been on a 4 night cruise on Celebrity before, and expect it will not draw their traditional crowd. I don't expect a booze cruise mentality, but I also know it will not be the Celebrity experience we usually have. (We plan to spend most of the time in our Celebrity Suite and in the Retreat.) Please keep an open mind and do not judge Celebrity by this one 4 night cruise.

Enjoy!

Edited by MarKay525
Correct information about covid testing

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Currently cruises from U.S. Ports 8 day or less do not need a covid test.  Over 8 days you need a self administered test  and a photo of results.

You can upgrade drink package at any bar or bartender.   The bartender will love you as they get a bonus for each sale.    Internet can be upgraded directly from the Celebrity App or Web browser when you setup you account.

As food is subjective I would try it out and then at any time you can either by a dinner package  or dine adhoc.

OP, has always Jim’s suggestion is a good one.

since this is your first experience with Celebrity, I would dine in the Blu.  Perhaps try the MDR one day.

Jim, I have created my own 14 day cruise for this week with a 4 day and 10 day cruise B2B.  What is your understanding of the Covid testing requirement?  Since Celebrity knows that I will be on board for 14 days, they might ask to see my self test results when I board the 4 day cruise.  I am doubtful, but I am going to do a test at home, just in case.  I am just wondering about the 10 day cruise.  I might just do a second self test a few days into the 4 day cruise.  What do you think?

Thank you for all you excellent contributions on CC.  Your sharing and answering of so many questions is priceless.  

jim

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Currently cruises from U.S. Ports 8 day or less do not need a covid test.  Over 8 days you need a self administered test  and a photo of results. <snip>

26 minutes ago, MarKay525 said:

Unless something has changed since last month, you just need to show your vax documentation at check-in. No testing required for cruises 9 nights or less. <snip>

OK - Jim & I clearly need to check our numbers! Our cruse last month was 9 nights in the Caribbean and we didn't have to test. In any event, yours is 4 nights so testing will not be required. Kay

Edited - I just checked the Healthy at Sea info. Jim & I were both incorrect with the number of nights.  (I originally said 10.) I changed my posts to hopefully avoid confusion.

And I just realized there is a difference between less than 9 nights, and 9 nights or less. The latter is the wording used by Celebrity.  Kay

Edited by MarKay525
Correct information regarding covid testing

OP - apologies for the slight hijack, but this is from the Celebrity Healthy at Sea page:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

At a Glance

Beginning with departures on September 5, 2022:

All travelers, regardless of vaccination status, can cruise with us on sailings departing from U.S. and Europe ports.

Testing protocols will ease on our U.S. and Europe sailings.
- We will begin accepting self-tests on sailings from U.S. and Europe sailings.
- For sailings 9 nights or less, vaccinated guests ages 12 and older will no longer need to test to board one of our ships, where destinations allow; and will have 3 days prior to boarding to test for sailings 10 nights or more.
- Unvaccinated guests ages 12 and older will need to test 3 days prior to boarding U.S. and Europe sailings.

Please visit our Country Travel Requirements for more information regarding vaccination.

Thanks everyone for the awesome responses.  I think a lot if not all of these questions are redundant, but we are on a super time crunch so i appreciate you reanswering them.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim, you are a wealth of cruise knowledge, thank you !

According to the X site isn't it 9 days ?

School me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 2:03 PM, m8zenblue said:

Jim, you are a wealth of cruise knowledge, thank you !

According to the X site isn't it 9 days ?

School me if I am wrong.

You aren't wrong. It is definitely 9 nights or less

Thanks Again for everyones help on this last minute cruise.  Amazed how smooth it went for only booking 4 days out.  Overall, great cruise and I think we are hooked on celebrity now.  Ill post a more detailed review later in the week but overall great experience.

thanks