Bath Amenities - suites

ggo85

We were in a GS on Voyager a month ago and it was not wall-mounted dispensers.  There was bar soap (which I liked) and I think an individual bottle of body wash/shampoo combo (which neither of us used).  

41 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

What is provided for bath amenities (shampoo, etc.) in upper level suites on the “smaller” ships?  Large dispensers or individual items?

You might want to specify which ship.  There may be differences even within each class of ship.  

On all (5) RCI ships we've been on this year (large/small) in suites we've had Malin-Goetz. Wall dispensers in separate showers and above some tubs. On Serenade in the OS our cabin steward  provided the large bottles for me as there was no dispenser above the tub but there was in the shower. I actually love the Malin-Goetz peppermint shampoo and cilantro conditioner.

Ok. I’m bringing my own amenities. I’m not a fan of wall-mounted anything.  Unacceptable for suites.  It reeks of Red Roof Inn, not luxury.  No idea what’s actually there.  Could be Suave.  Who knows how old the stuff is?   Who knows who’s touched it?  Yet another reason (one of many) that we’re done with RCCL after this cruise (where we’re burning off cruise credits). 

My view.  YMMV. 

Thanks for the helpful replies!!!

• Haha 1

I absolutely agree re: wall-mounted bathroom amenities in suites. There’s a significant up-charge to stay in a suite,, I would think new individual shampoo/conditioner bottles would be one of the benefits. 

Has cost cutting on RCCL brought us to this? <sigh>

17 hours ago, orville99 said:

On both Harmony (October) and Mariner (July and August) they are now Salt+Breeze by BioEnergy wall mounted. 

Harmony...Interesting we had Malin-Goetz in our GS and 2 bedroom GS end of April on Harmony. Must be a supply issue.

We just book Junior Suites and look at it as a hotel room that goes interesting places. Bathroom amenities are not high on our list of vacation requirements. We have our own toiletries, if we find theirs unsatisfactory. 

Everyone has their own vacation style and priorities. I'm sure there are other cruise line that have better amenities, toiletries, and service overall. We are happy for now. 

Stopping. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

On my last cruise on Adventure this past spring I was in a jr. suite and all that was in the bathroom was the all in one stuff in the wall mounted unit.  I didn't even have bar soap.  I asked my steward (who was new to suites) for the standard suite tubes of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash.  He came back and said that his supervisor had said that there was no shampoo on the ship 😏 I was also told that there was no creamer for the in cabin coffee available either.  This was not the stewards fault, he was honestly trying his hardest but getting no support from his superiors.  

Long story short - I went to guest services to resolve this (it actually took 3 trips) and finally asked to speak with the hotel director.  While I didn't get to speak to the hotel director, two officers showed up at my cabin and we had a chat.  The first item that showed up was 16, yes 16, tubes of conditioner for a nine night cruise 🤣 shortly thereafter everything else was in the cabin.  That cabin steward and I were like best friends during the cruise as he knew I wasn't upset in any way with him (and I made this explicitly clear to his supervisor) he also received the largest tip I have ever left anyone at the end of the cruise on top of my prepaid gratuities.  It was an interesting start to that cruise.

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

Harmony...Interesting we had Malin-Goetz in our GS and 2 bedroom GS end of April on Harmony. Must be a supply issue.

I think they may have lost the contract with them. We had M-G products on our suite on Harmony in April as well.

Edited by orville99

9 hours ago, Orbmis said:

I absolutely agree re: wall-mounted bathroom amenities in suites. There’s a significant up-charge to stay in a suite,, I would think new individual shampoo/conditioner bottles would be one of the benefits. 

Has cost cutting on RCCL brought us to this? <sigh>

Just stayed at the Marriott prior to our cruise. They too have moved to using the three dispensers in place of the small bottles. This was a concierge level room. 

10 hours ago, ggo85 said:

Ok. I’m bringing my own amenities. I’m not a fan of wall-mounted anything.  Unacceptable for suites.  It reeks of Red Roof Inn, not luxury.  No idea what’s actually there.  Could be Suave.  Who knows how old the stuff is?   Who knows who’s touched it?  Yet another reason (one of many) that we’re done with RCCL after this cruise (where we’re burning off cruise credits). 

My view.  YMMV. 

Just stayed in a suite at a Marriott.  Wall mounted shampoo, conditioner, and soap.  Also had packages bar soap.   This is the trend.   Probably due to half used little bottles causing so much waste ($) and plastic being tossed (environment).   

Our suite on Allure in May had the wall mounted too.  I quite liked it over fumbling around with the bottles.  Much easier when showering the little kiddos too.  

IMO what does the mode of delivery matter.  Isn’t the product the main factor?   Many individual bottles don’t have safety seals.  How do you know those weren’t the owned and used once by the prior guest?   I just don’t see the issue with the pumps on the wall?  They are much more convenient IMO.  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, topnole said:

Just stayed in a suite at a Marriott.  Wall mounted shampoo, conditioner, and soap.  Also had packages bar soap.   This is the trend.   Probably due to half used little bottles causing so much waste ($) and plastic being tossed (environment).   

When I was working I was what is known as a road warrior.  Our team was doing about 25% travel pre-COVID, one week a month on average, and we stay exclusively at Marriott properties.  

A few of us would bring our own soap, shampoo, and conditioner.  We would collect each day the bottles of shampoo and conditioner that was in the bath room and put them in our luggage.  About once a quarter I would package up all I had collected and donate them to a local homeless shelter.  My co-workers also donated theirs to similar organizations in their areas.  

I am sad to hear that some Marriott's have gone in this direction but I can understand from an economical standpoint why it happened. 

We also use to collect these little bottles from our cruises and donate them as well. 

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

When I was working I was what is known as a road warrior.  Our team was doing about 25% travel pre-COVID, one week a month on average, and we stay exclusively at Marriott properties.  

A few of us would bring our own soap, shampoo, and conditioner.  We would collect each day the bottles of shampoo and conditioner that was in the bath room and put them in our luggage.  About once a quarter I would package up all I had collected and donate them to a local homeless shelter.  My co-workers also donated theirs to similar organizations in their areas.  

I am sad to hear that some Marriott's have gone in this direction but I can understand from an economical standpoint why it happened. 

We also use to collect these little bottles from our cruises and donate them as well. 

That is a nice.  Obviously most don’t do what you do.  So for a company it is a lot of waste/cost long run.  

Not sure this is all Marriotts.  May be location specific.  I still don’t travel near as much as I did pre Covid, so I’m not sure this is some universal transformation.   

I am cruising in a Grand Suite on Explorer this Sunday, and staying pre-flight and pre-cruise at 2 different Marriott's.  I am interested to see if the switch to wall mounted bathroom products is a thing - sounds like it is.

Personally I don't care because I bring my own, but I agree that wall mounted anything just looks cheap.

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

I think they may have lost the contract with them. We had M-G products on our suite on Harmony in April as well.

All through the years I've always brought my own..but once M-G products became available I ended up liking them so didn't bother to bring my own.

Sad if this product will no longer be available so I guess I'll have to start bringing my own again...Thanks for your info.

35 minutes ago, Ashland said:

All through the years I've always brought my own..but once M-G products became available I ended up liking them so didn't bother to bring my own.

Sad if this product will no longer be available so I guess I'll have to start bringing my own again...Thanks for your info.

On the Symphony now, Freedom last week along with the Navigator three weeks ago all in a GS. On both the NV and FR we had all MG products. This week we have MG conditioner and body wash and some yellow coconut smelling shampoo in a clear pump. On the NV we have had the Salt Breeze products in the pump bottles in a JS. 

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

On the Symphony now, Freedom last week along with the Navigator three weeks ago all in a GS. On both the NV and FR we had all MG products. This week we have MG conditioner and body wash and some yellow coconut smelling shampoo in a clear pump. On the NV we have had the Salt Breeze products in the pump bottles in a JS. 

We had M-G product on Navigator in January in OS. I'll be on NV next in January in an OS so we'll see what's available then...but I might bring my own just in case. Thanks

On 11/2/2022 at 7:22 AM, orville99 said:

On both Harmony (October) and Mariner (July and August) they are now Salt+Breeze by BioEnergy wall mounted. 

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

This year I was in a JS on Odyssey in Mar.  We had the Salt+Breeze triple wall mounted (shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel) plus a lotion pump.  We had a GS on Mariner in May, a GS on Harmony in August, and an OS on Harmony in September.  On those sailings we had the Malin-Goetz products.  Perhaps orville99 was in a JS. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Jr. Suites get the Salt Breeze, GS and above have had the MG products.   

19 hours ago, ggo85 said:

My view.  YMMV. 

I'm perfectly fine with wall mounted Malin & Goetz if it keeps massive mountains of plastic piling up all over the place or floating in the ocean. I enjoy staying in luxury hotels and booking suites. But I would also like to see MORE not less things being done to stop the waste.  I do bring my own, but I have refillable travel bottles that I fill from my large containers at home.  One can still enjoy luxury without contributing to the problem.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

We had M-G product on Navigator in January in OS. I'll be on NV next in January in an OS so we'll see what's available then...but I might bring my own just in case. Thanks

Just a couple weeks ago on Navigator, it was M-G products on the wall in the big pump bottles. Has been the same since our first trip on Navigator this past Feb. We had lotion in the small M-G bottles.

• Like 1