Bermuda Cruise

doone

Asking for a friend, but they are looking at cruising to Bermuda either from Boston on the Pearl or NY on the Joy.  I understand the Joy is larger than the Pearl and from the video's on the Joy, it looks amazing, but what is everyone's thoughts, which ship would you sail to Bermuda on and why?

Thanks for your help.

4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

New York sailings have an extra stop at Norfolk, Virginia 

Boston sailings have an extra stop at Bar Harbor, Maine

i think Bar Harbor is a better place then Norfolk 

Not all Bermuda cruises from NY on the Joy stop at Norfolk, nor do all Bermuda cruises from Boston stop at Bar Harbor.

35 minutes ago, doone said:

Asking for a friend, but they are looking at cruising to Bermuda either from Boston on the Pearl or NY on the Joy.  I understand the Joy is larger than the Pearl and from the video's on the Joy, it looks amazing, but what is everyone's thoughts, which ship would you sail to Bermuda on and why?

Thanks for your help.

Personally we prefer the smaller ships such as the Pearl. It really depends on whether someone wants all the latest bells and whistles that the larger ships have or the greater intimacy of the smaller ships.

Great information, thank you.  This is actually 3 couples, no kids celebrating milestone birthdays……you have all been so helpful, really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.  The 2nd stop doesn’t matter where it is the Bermuda stop is the place they all want to go.

5 hours ago, doone said:

Thanks for your help.

The Joy is a far superior ship. That would be the recommendation. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Since there are no kids I highly recommend the Pearl over the Joy.  Unless their idea of a great vacation is very large crowds, lines and lots of kids! 

Great point, I was afraid there would be a lot of families onboard when I saw some of the entertainment options.  I think they are looking for a nice cruise to Bermuda without long lines not so many kids……

No kids, presumably older couples - I'd lean to the Pearl.  If they happen to be younger couples, then you might look closer to the amenities on each and see if either is more appealing.

Are these couples all first time cruisers?  If not, their cruising history and preferences is definitely relevant here.

For folks that live in Mass or Eastern New England, that Boston port is very convenient to access.

53 minutes ago, doone said:

Great point, I was afraid there would be a lot of families onboard when I saw some of the entertainment options.  I think they are looking for a nice cruise to Bermuda without long lines not so many kids……

Then they should also look/consider Celebrity Summit to Bermuda

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KiddieKruzer said:

Then they should also look/consider Celebrity Summit to Bermuda

4 hours ago, doone said:

Thank you, they are looking at that as well.

While I haven't sailed on the Pearl, I have sailed on all of her sister Jewel-class ships.   I love that class of ship; comfortable size, very easy to get around.  Real promenade deck, excellent public spaces including the Great Outdoors and the Spinnaker Lounge.  I've also sailed on the Celebrity Summit, after she was "revolutionized" in 2019.  She's a terrific ship  in beautiful, elegant condition. I don't know the exact itineraries your friends are looking at, but I might well pick the Summit over the Pearl.  It's a hard decision and probably would be affected by the cabin category. 

Either way, they should have a great time!

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

While I haven't sailed on the Pearl, I have sailed on all of her sister Jewel-class ships.   I love that class of ship; comfortable size, very easy to get around.  Real promenade deck, excellent public spaces including the Great Outdoors and the Spinnaker Lounge.  I've also sailed on the Celebrity Summit, after she was "revolutionized" in 2019.  She's a terrific ship  in beautiful, elegant condition. I don't know the exact itineraries your friends are looking at, but I might well pick the Summit over the Pearl.  It's a hard decision and probably would be affected by the cabin category. 

Either way, they should have a great time!

Thank you so much, they have sailed Celebrity before and love it, however, being in Massachusetts, the Boston departure is hard to beat...........I appreciate your input, very helpful, thank you.

42 minutes ago, doone said:

Thank you so much, they have sailed Celebrity before and love it, however, being in Massachusetts, the Boston departure is hard to beat...........I appreciate your input, very helpful, thank you.

Sorry, I knew the Summit had been doing some itineraries out of Boston, didn’t realize Bermuda wasn’t one of them.  I agree with you, if there’s a good option in your own state, that’s worth a great deal! 😊

• Like 1

20190901_164656.thumb.jpg.f544bea27fde194da8d9175b1608c2e6.jpgWe have done New York to Bermuda twice and would go again!  Our preference is the large ships.  The big advantage of sailing out of New York is not only the NYC skyline but sailing past this lovely lady.

Enjoy Bermuda!  Be sure to visit Horseshoe Beach, the Crystal Caves, the Bermuda National Museum and the Frog and Onion Pub (just to name a few of our favorites).

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

We have sailed both the Pearl and the Summit and next week will sail the Joy. Although I love to sail from Boston, I would have to say we prefer the Summit overall. 

Thank you.