Another tipping question

I've seen a few posts over the years about tipping extra in addition to the auto gratuities. A few say they tip the steward the 1st day to assure they get service above & beyond the norm for the duration of the cruise. My curiosity has gotten the best of me. Can anyone tell me what service & attention you get above the normal, expected service? Thanks.

Edited by 1965
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I've seen a few posts over the years about tipping extra in addition to the auto gratuities. A few say they tip the steward the 1st day to assure they get service above & beyond the norm for the duration of the cruise. My curiosity has gotten the best of me. Can anyone tell me what service & attention you get above the normal, expected service? Thanks.

Tipping on the first day is counter productive. I have never tipped anyone in advance and have always gotten better service than I needed. I am not one of those prima donna types who flash their money around to buy someone's attention. I leave the auto tips in place and have never been disappointed. I also occasionally tip extra if I feel someone went above and beyond to make my stay memorable. But never before hand.

I don't believe in bribing people so that they owe you better service. I prefer to reward people when that better service is given without demanding it. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Perhaps we should talk about definitions.  Tipping in advance (like the first day) is not a tip but more like a bribe.  Some folks hope that they can bribe certain crew members to give them better or specialized service.  Maybe it works and maybe that crew member thinks "what a fool, now that they have paid me I will move on to others!."   

The entire tipping culture, which is primarily a North American thing, has been discussed on many CC threads (over many years).  It is a hot button issue.  But suffice it so say that outside of the USA and Canada, most of the world does not believe in big tips (or any tips) and in many cases resent Americans/Canadians who think they can get better treatment by "throwing their money around."

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Oh how exciting!  Another tipping thread!

I know the subject is cruise lines, but my daughter who waited tables for years (through high school, college, and graduate school) says big tippers get better service in restaurants.  That's her experience.  

I don't see the harm done if someone thinks he gets better service if he tips.  I don't see the harm done if someone thinks it makes no difference.  One's experience is always subjective.  However, this is a tipping thread, so let the games begin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I know the subject is cruise lines, but my daughter who waited tables for years (through high school, college, and graduate school) says big tippers get better service in restaurants.  That's her experience.  

I don't see the harm done if someone thinks he gets better service if he tips.  I don't see the harm done if someone thinks it makes no difference.  One's experience is always subjective.  However, this is a tipping thread, so let the games begin.

No need to get snippy. I just was curious what specific extra service & attention one gets if one tips in advance. Feel free to scroll past this discussion if you're not interested & have nothing further to contribute.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, 1965 said:

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. Can anyone tell me what service & attention you get above the normal, expected service? Thanks.

I've often heard the "above and beyond" argument made as to why or how someone tips or gives additional tips.  In all of our cruises we've never really received poor service.  Maybe some was slightly better than others, but despite how we tip we've always received great & friendly service.  It makes me wonder what other passengers are expecting, I'm interested in what some of the responses will be. I realize how busy most of these screw members are so if my water glass at the MDR isn't constantly filled, or my drink preference isn't automatically waiting for me at my favorite bar or a crew member doesn't address me by name on ship of thousands of passengers I don't equate this to poor service.  

23 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

I leave the auto tips in place and have never been disappointed

I agree, and I'll also add from the days of the cash tip in envelopes to the auto gratuities I've always been more than satisfied with the service.  Across 3 lines it has always been wonderful.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 1965 said:

No need to get snippy. I just was curious what specific extra service & attention one gets if one tips in advance. Feel free to scroll past this discussion if you're not interested & have nothing further to contribute.

Define "snippy."  I am genuinely excited that there is yet another tipping thread because they are so entertaining.  I also enjoy dress code threads. Good clean fun reading these.

And what is not constructive about saying tipping experiences are subjective?

Edited by Kay S
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, 1965 said:

This is a very good question if it is about what there is to gain from a cabin steward.  I agree with the previous comments that the "normal" room service is already about as good as I could want.  In fact, in over 30 cruises I cannot think of a single negative related to a cabin steward.  What to gain?  Here are my guesses.  Maybe a never empty ice bucket, quicker responses to requests, or more towel animals?  🙂  Beyond that, I honestly don't know.  If we are talking about a bartender or dining steward, then I suppose there could be a bigger return.  

Me, I would just lay that extra $ on them at the end as thanks for a great experience.  

• Like 4

I almost always tip cash additionally afterwards as a special thank you. I also pay the added-on daily tip fees. I do not feel I am "throwing money around," I am just acknowledging the socioeconomic differences between those who are cruising and those who are working, and expressing my appreciation.  I have been on cruises for decades across many different lines, and have never had any service problems.  

We like when the room stewards acknowledge us and learn our schedules, when the waiters and wine steward bring us our orders every night without us asking (cheese plate before dessert, hot tea with dessert, same drinks every night.), when the maitre d' comes around and checks on us and everybody else, and so forth. 

I do not tip in advance, but I could definitely see how that could be helpful if someone had special circumstances--elderly or disabled and needing special assistance, or with very young children.  For instance, my mother would want fresh ice every night before bed due to some leg issues.  It could also mean you want your room serviced first, before everyone else, or some other special request above and beyond.

Once I took my teenage nieces on a cruise, and they ordered room service chocolate mousse at least five times a day!!  They piled all those little crystal dishes outside in the hall. Yes, extra tips were certainly warranted by the staff.  

• Thanks 1

I usually tip for room service a dollar or two and give my room steward a small cash tip at end of cruise plus leave automatic grants in place as for servers I have done that as well in the past with traditional dining.  Now you may not have the same server every night so I don't tip extra for that and bar device is already tipped included.  I work as a server and admit those regulars who tip well usually receive more attentive service.

• Like 1

I have never tipped in advance of my cruise. I do keep the automatic tip but I always treat the crew with respect and have never had trouble with getting good service. If I feel the service was great or better than I expected I do give an extra tip at the end of the cruise to those that I felt deserved it. I have made many friends with crew members and still stay in contact with some of them. The crew will take care of you as long as you treat them right. 

By the way I worked on cruise ships for a couple years and believe me the crew know who treat them right and those that do not treat them right. The crew will know in a very short time who to cater to or who to avoid as much as possible.

• Like 6

We have never tipped in advance on 60+ cruises on 9 different lines.  We do tip extra at the end of the cruise.  My DH is a very demanding customer, he wants extra blankets, extra tissues, extra towels and to have his sheets changed more often than the regular schedule, plus we need ice several times daily.   We tip well but not till the end of the cruise.  We appreciate the service received.  We have always found staff more than willing to respond to our requests. 

2 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

I am not one of those prima donna types who flash their money around to buy someone's attention.

🤣  .... oh,  wait that's me.

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

👍   your daughter is correct.

• Like 2

I tip our steward at the end of the cruise.

Giving cash on day one is an insult.  It implies that the steward will only do a good job if he/she is paid extra.

We have never had a bad steward,  but as always in life, some are better than others ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

I am not one of those prima donna types who flash their money around to buy someone's attention. 

10 minutes ago, c-boy said:

🤣  .... oh,  wait that's me.

The first step to addiction recovery is admitting you have a problem. I applaud you for taking that first step. 😇

• Like 1

I tip stewart on the first day - to start the friendship off on a happy note.  Nothing else is implied.  I also tip the longshoreman before he delivers our bags to the ship, just to make sure they are happy and feeling good about themselves.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Papa Yoda said:

I tip stewart on the first day - to start the friendship off on a happy note.  Nothing else is implied.  I also tip the longshoreman before he delivers our bags to the ship, just to make sure they are happy and feeling good about themselves.

You forget to mention tipping the taxi driver in advance, to make sure you arrived safely at the port !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, PTMary said:

The first step to addiction recovery is admitting you have a problem. I applaud you for taking that first step. 😇

life long struggles  🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

How did your daughter know in advance who were big tippers ?

Good question.  Restaurants on land tend to have regular customers.  That is of course different from a cruise ship.  Restaurants in the same cities get most of the same customers over time, and word spreads among the restaurant's staffs.  My point is that big tippers tend to get good service (over time) and bad tippers get the opposite.  It's an American thing, so I don't expect you to fully appreciate it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Good question.  Restaurants on land tend to have regular customers.  That is of course different from a cruise ship.  Restaurants in the same cities get most of the same customers over time, and word spreads among the restaurant's staffs.  My point is that big tippers tend to get good service (over time) and bad tippers get the opposite.  It's an American thing, so I don't expect you to fully appreciate it.

So, as no one knows if I am a big tipper or not (and I do tip when appropriate) when I go to a restaurant,  I will get the best possible service, on the off chance that I might drop a bundle of notes on the table at the end of the meal ! 

As an aside, I wouldn't disagree with your premise about tipping and service levels. However,  on shortish cruises,  I'm not sure if that premise holds water. 

I just got off a cruise yesterday. On day one, we were bothered by a squeaky door. We asked our steward if he could get someone to see about it. Within 30 minutes…it was done. We tried to give him some cash, and he refused it. He said we should wait until the end of the 14 day cruise. He was so good, he worked around our comings and going to service the cabin. He always greeted us by our names and asked if we needed anything. We gladly tipped him on the last day.

• Like 7