Leaving cruise early? can it be done?

sdnich

I’ve been searching for this answer and it seems to be with the permission of the cruise line they will let you leave a  Cruise early. Our situation is  we’re going to go down to Mexico from LA and we would like to get off the cruise ship in Puerto Vallarta and stay for another couple weeks. I just got off the phone with someone from the blue chip club and he checked into it and said we could not. I am just asking here to see if anybody has done that before and if it is a possibility before I follow through with the booking.

thanks

For the last year, Celebrity has not been granting permission for early disembarkation. However in the last month or so there are a couple of reports where the permission has been granted in Europe. So it is certainly worth asking but you would need to already have the booking and then ask. It sounds like you want to know if you’re going to get the permission before you book and that probably isn’t possible.

To get the permission, you need to file a form and pay a fee which I think is still $65 per person. It will be checked to make sure that there is no violation of any US law and that the government of Mexico will allow it.

What you are asking for is a downline debarkation.  Pre covid it could be done in many places but does require the approval of the cruise line who coordinates with the port.   When cruising restated this wasn't allowed, although as restrictions are less it may be possible.  There is a administrative fee of I think $65.  I suggest you call Celebrity and ask to be connected with the department that handles Downline requests.  We did it about 5 years ago and at that time it was the Emergency Services Group that handled the requests.

I just got off the phone with the second Celebrity representative and they said they’re no longer doing down line debarkation.

it was a fun idea the cruise was cheaper with the blue chip club(free plus tax )  then flights down to Puerto Vallarta!! 

1 hour ago, sdnich said:

I just got off the phone with the second Celebrity representative and they said they’re no longer doing down line debarkation.

it was a fun idea the cruise was cheaper with the blue chip club(free plus tax )  then flights down to Puerto Vallarta!! 

It is likely cheaper because Blue Chip is subsidizing the cost and is expecting you to gamble/spend as compensation for this. Different cruise line (Princess) but I did disembark early on a comped cruise and in order to get off I had to pay a certain amount to compensate for the lost revenue. I did in fact pay what they asked as I hated the ship and was miserable. (my last princess cruise ever free or not) 

This was discontinued a couple of years before Covid.  When just one guest leaves the cruise early, it is no longer a closed loop for everyone.  This generates more paperwork and possible delays in debarkation with CBP.  Which holds everyone up. What cruise lines can and will do in Europe or elsewhere in the world has no bearing on what is allowed with a closed loop cruise from North America.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

12 minutes ago, janbear said:

It is likely cheaper because Blue Chip is subsidizing the cost and is expecting you to gamble/spend as compensation for this. Different cruise line (Princess) but I did disembark early on a comped cruise and in order to get off I had to pay a certain amount to compensate for the lost revenue. I did in fact pay what they asked as I hated the ship and was miserable. (my last princess cruise ever free or not) 

I doubt that Blue Chip is expecting us to gamble . Thye gave me 3 cruises and they can easily see that I gamble about $10 a cruise