All Inclusive

duquephart

It's almost true in the UK as fares include flights, transfers, gratuities, wine etc with meals etc plus some shore excursions.

However it does not include alcohol all day, which is the normal "all inclusive" offering for holidays sold in the UK.

• Like 1

If you read the offer under “Viking Inclusive Value” they are referring to cruises that offer free air. They also state it’s  “a cruise fare that covers everything you need.” This is essentially true. No additional port taxes & fees, included tours, beer and wine with meals, ground transfers with air, wi-if, lectures, etc. It’s not a booze cruise.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you read the offer under “Viking Inclusive Value” they are referring to cruises that offer free air. They also state it’s  “a cruise fare that covers everything you need.” This is essentially true. No additional port taxes & fees, included tours, beer and wine with meals, ground transfers with air, wi-if, lectures, etc. It’s not a booze cruise.

Everything you need is not the same as all inclusive. Another loose and fast claim bordering on BS.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

I don't think that all cruise lines that offer included alcohol are "booze cruises".

Yep, Viking WCs offer all you can eat booze and very few of us could "booze cruise" for 4 months.😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gratuities, laundry and medical were ALL also included on our WC.  As for as I have been able to determine no other crusies off truly "all" inclusive.

Edited by deec

6 hours ago, duquephart said:

Everything you need is not the same as all inclusive. Another loose and fast claim bordering on BS.

Okay. I'll say it: Not bordering, standing right in it. 

When I saw it on the cover of the brochure, I just rolled my eyeballs. Then I cried because it will be all downhill from here on out.  What idiot is running their marketing department these days?  And what other bunch of idiots let them get away with it? IMHO, "All inclusive" is the third-rail of travel advertising -- as in touch it and die. 

Be all inclusive and your reputation will precede you without ever once having to use those words to market your company. Tell us exactly what our cruise fare includes and forget the specious marketing jargon that only gets you into trouble. 

Between this thread and "New patterns of behavior," it reads like adios to the Viking we knew and loved.

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Okay. I'll say it: Not bordering, standing right in it. 

When I saw it on the cover of the brochure, I just rolled my eyeballs. Then I cried because it will be all downhill from here on out.  What idiot is running their marketing department these days?  And what other bunch of idiots let them get away with it? IMHO, "All inclusive" is the third-rail of travel advertising -- as in touch it and die. 

Be all inclusive and your reputation will precede you without ever once having to use those words to market your company. Tell us exactly what our cruise fare includes and forget the specious marketing jargon that only gets you into trouble. 

Between this thread and "New patterns of behavior," it reads like adios to the Viking we knew and loved.

Oh, of all people, I can’t tell you how much I hate to hear you say this!!!

MORE FEATURES, SERVICES AND EXCURSIONS INCLUDED:

• Return flights from London and selected regional airports
  • One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call
  • Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary)
  • Beer, wine & soft drinks with onboard lunch & dinner
  • 24-hour specialty coffees, teas & bottled water
  • Port taxes & fees
  • Ground transfers with Viking Air purchase
  • Visits to UNESCO Sites
  • Enrichment lectures & Destination Performances
  • Access to The Nordic Spa & state-of-the-art fitness center
  • Self-service launderettes
  • Alternative restaurant dining at no extra charge
  • 24-hour room service
  • Onboard gratuities

ALL STATEROOMS INCLUDE:

• King-size Viking Explorer Bed with luxury linen
  • 42" flat-screen LCD TV with intuitive remote & complimentary Movies On Demand
  • Large private bathroom with spacious glass-enclosed shower, heated floor, anti-fog mirror & hair dryer
  • Premium Freyja toiletries
  • Direct-dial satellite phone and cell service
  • Security safe
  • 110/220 volt outlets
  • Ample USB ports
  • musical-note-icon.svgCultural Curriculum®
  • bowl-icon.svgMeals including regional specialties
  • patio-icon.svgMost al fresco dining at sea
  • sun-icon.svgWalking track & sports deck
  • 24-hour-icon.svg24-hour Guest Services
  • two-glasses-icon.svgWelcome Cocktails & Farewell Reception
  • library-icon.svgCurated library
  • guarantee-icon.svgViking Service Guarantee

But it’s not quite correct there’s no ground transfer for our cruise unless we choose to fly (to America including a transit flight) on the day of embarkation 

As always bring sensible and going the day ahead you forfeit your ground transfer even though Viking do your air do it’s misleading advertising 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, uktog said:

But it’s not quite correct there’s no ground transfer for our cruise unless we choose to fly (to America including a transit flight) on the day of embarkation 

As always bring sensible and going the day ahead you forfeit your ground transfer even though Viking do your air do it’s misleading advertising 

I have some sympathy with Viking here as a flight deviation must lead to passengers in diverse locations. Presumably any transfer to the ship might have to be an essentially private one by taxi. Cost wise not at all the same as collecting and transporting a large group by bus from an airport. However I do agree that the wording is misleading.

In regard to other ‘included’ items in comparison to Azamara (I know we both love them) I appreciate the free wi fi, the speciality restaurants at no extra cost, the lovely spa area, afternoon tea service plus sometimes better shuttle services for example Piraeus to Central Athens.

I would mention I have booked another Azamara cruise but not another Viking.

The vibe onboard Our last Viking cruise was certainly different to our previous ones. I have been reading the thread on that subject with interest.

My recent Scenic river cruise was certainly the All Inclusive winner.  Pick up from home, transfers across Paris for our rail journey , premium drinks including champagne,  fantastic included shore excursions plus a lovely mix of passengers.  

I understand the issue of logistics, my concern was the fact that the advert is misleading and a bit naughty.  I do however struggle to understand why, if I am staying at the same hotel pre cruise as their included extension I cannot (even for a small fee) use the same transfer services to the port and if I am arriving on the same flight as those on the extension also be transferred to the hotel - after all Viking know my flight arrangements and could very quickly also populate my records with hotel details I give them.

I agree both lines have pros and cons - and both are guilty of pushing the boundaries in the wording of their adverts.

It does concern me the 'vibe" issues having a cruise booked for next year with Viking and one coming up soon with Azamara which now seems to be subject to a "firesale"  Time will tell how they shape up,.  From my very recent Azamara cruises I am aware the vibe can change very significantly even between legs 1 and 2 of a back to back.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

I understand the issue of logistics, my concern was the fact that the advert is misleading and a bit naughty.  I do however struggle to understand why, if I am staying at the same hotel pre cruise as their included extension I cannot (even for a small fee) use the same transfer services to the port and if I am arriving on the same flight as those on the extension also be transferred to the hotel - after all Viking know my flight arrangements and could very quickly also populate my records with hotel details I give them.

I agree both lines have pros and cons - and both are guilty of pushing the boundaries in the wording of their adverts.

It does concern me the 'vibe" issues having a cruise booked for next year with Viking and one coming up soon with Azamara which now seems to be subject to a "firesale"  Time will tell how they shape up,.  From my very recent Azamara cruises I am aware the vibe can change very significantly even between legs 1 and 2 of a back to back.

We have arrived the day before, stayed at the airport hotel and joined the Viking  transfer the next day (with the people arriving on the Viking flight). We do have to pay for the transfer because we book the flights on our own. Don’t know if there is an additional fee if Viking books your flights. This is from the US.

1 minute ago, janetcbl said:

We have arrived the day before, stayed at the airport hotel and joined the Viking  transfer the next day (with the people arriving on the Viking flight). We do have to pay for the transfer because we book the flights on our own. Don’t know if there is an additional fee if Viking books your flights. This is from the US.

Our agent has asked - we are in the UK and this is a flight and pre cruise to New York and the answer is firmly no. We can only have transfers if there is no deviation (coming in early being a deviation even though it’s the same as their extension other than we book the same  hotel direct). Given the cost difference (£800 for 2 people) I can’t justify paying for the extension when all it really gives is the transfers plus the included tour over and above what I get going direct to the hotel. I just am surprised that even paying for it they won’t sell us the transfers and why they advertise in the UK that they provide transfers and flights so they are skating on thin ice in terms of advertising rules

• Like 1

19 hours ago, duquephart said:

Don’t disagree with you but unfortunately they seem to be following other cruise lines-see HAL’s “Have it all”

Edited by Clay Clayton