Princess Cruises Unveils 360: An Extraordinary Experience on Discovery Princess; Coming Soon to Enchanted Princess

Astro Flyer

20 diners per seating, two seatings per night, seven nights per average sailing:  280 slots.

Roughly 100 suite guests on Discovery.  

Now, I’m no math genius.  

But it sure seems like a lot of CapEx (and Brooke Shields doesn’t work for free) to build this out and only get 35% utilisation even if every adult in a suite takes you up on the offer.  I suppose using it to incentivise future cruise purchases on other ships (in full suites, with Platinum, no refunds!) increases it some, but I see this becoming a paid experience sooner rather than later.   The one thing they *might* be smart to do is divide seatings and dates such that those crassly paying separately are isolated from those having the experience via a suite entitlement. 

I admit I’m intrigued and slightly envious, but at this stage in my life I’m able to do back to backs until my DH gets on my back rather than compressing everything into a week in a suite.  I do think this would make an astounding milestone recognition but the powers that be have decided those are no longer a thing, so, there’s that. 

11 hours ago, RMorningglory said:

Hello All. I just came off 2 weeks on Discovery and it was Flawless. During our first week 360 was in the process of rolling out (California Coastal 10/15). I only knew this because a staff member was being trained for service and whispered it to me. At the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party I coincidentally met a lovely young lady who was on the ship from corporate Princess and was the Entertainment Director.  We had a warm conversation in the back of the room in which we complimented the entertainment and the beautiful new ship as well. Before she left she asked us for our names and cabin number and asked if we would be interested in an experimental dining experience that was being rolled out over the next cruise. Up for anything we said of course and we'd be delighted. The following week, we were in Sanctuary and who should appear with another young lady but our friend from the party. She specifically came to find us. They offered us the opportunity to join in this special experience the next evening and also were kind enough to also ask friends, who had coincidentally booked the same cruise we had and were in a sanctuary Cabana for the whole cruise, We all said yes. We were asked about food preferences and allergies as we would if we had booked Chef's Table.  The following night at the appointed time and place, 20 of us assembled in the piazza and this amazing experience began. We were literally sworn to secrecy and we respected the request. Well... Cat's out of the bag. The creative team responsible for 360 was present as guests at our dinner and studied our reactions and kept a few of us back afterward to ask questions and get whatever feedback we could give. We interacted with members of this team several times during the remainder of the Love Boat Cruise. The original cast of The Love Boat was on our cruise and had the 360 Experience the following night. I was able to chat with all of them individually and they were as impressed and overwhelmed as we were. The details given in the press release are accurate. There is currently no plan to make this experience a "charge +" option and the intention is to enhance the cruise experience for those in Suites and other passengers that the Cruise Line targets for specific reasons (Not necessarily solely related to spending) .  It will remain invitation only for the foreseeable future. I have these details on Excellent Authority.  I was thrilled to have done it and would graciously accept the invitation to return but it wouldn't be something I would expect.  Bottom line, if you have the good fortune to be asked, say yes. It is a remarkable and exquisitely designed experience for your senses that is unique and delicious.  Thanks to the team for including us and all the best as you present your creation to those lucky enough to experience it. SALUTE!

We were invited at the last minute on October 28th (Love Boat Cruise).  We weren't asked for our dining preferences nor were we sworn to secrecy, we were just told we couldn't take pictures inside the venue.  Still when I mentioned it on the earlier thread on this topic I chose not to go into details as I thought that the surprise was part of the experience and I didn't want to ruin it for folks.  (Earlier thread:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2869642-360-experience )

I wish they would have asked for our preferences as it would have made our experience better but there was still enough for us to eat.  I was also the one who asked and was told it would likely roll out on November 5th at a price of $150 per person open to all like the chef's table.  Clearly that isn't accurate but I'm wondering if they are still refining it so they can make this a revenue generating experience.

We did dine with one of the Love Boat cast so they weren't all there on one evening.  I didn't notice anyone studying us but when we left the venue I saw a video screen with pictures of every diner at some point during the evening.  Not sure if they were eavesdropping on us or if this was just a way for them to know when to serve the next course.

We also didn't receive the "special" 360 Medallion nor a printed copy of the picture that they took of us.  I chalked that up to the fact that we were part of a trial.  I did think that once it rolled out officially that they would have to provide a token gift to diners.

Although we enjoyed it, experiencing it once was enough for us.

11 hours ago, Kay S said:

I'm having a little trouble believing this DinoRamaExtravaganza is just a free perk for the big spenders--no strings attached.  Call me a cynic, but I'm waiting for the hoopla and the celebrity name dropping to die down so that rumored $150 pp can be officially announced.  I believe our CC friend from Arizona who was told this is a revenue-generating activity and not just a marketing gimmick designed to lure suite guests (who may or may not be invited to the party--it's a gamble.)

But those of you who want to roll the dice, go for it.

cynic  ...   🤣

• Haha 1

We did it last week.

It was great...we loved it. No photos allowed. We were seated at a circular table with a circular 360 degree movie screen behind us. Our tour was a visual, audio, aromatic and interactive tour of  each region of the Mediterranean that our 7 course meal originated from. Each course featured a different wine which was introduced by our host before it was served. It was very relaxing and surprising at times. We feel lucky to have been selected to experience it.”

• Like 6

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's immersive, like the Van Gogh experience was in LA. 

That was visuals on the floor and the ceiling and the walls and there was no food or tables.  I don't remember any aromas being wafted by either.  I liked it a lot, but I have trouble trying to imagine this 360 dinner being like that.  (They also charged to get in. 🙃)

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

That was visuals on the floor and the ceiling and the walls and there was no food or tables.  I don't remember any aromas being wafted by either.  I liked it a lot, but I have trouble trying to imagine this 360 dinner being like that.  (They also charged to get in. 🙃)

We had the VIP date night experience and didn't pay as they were comped. 

Princess should limit their 360 experience for who they want and not charge people who will only see the glass half full. Their playground, their rules. Invitation only weeds out the complainers who want their money back or look for the bad in everything. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dides said:

And probably very similar to this Whimsy Immersive 360 Dining Experience video

Somewhat.  360 is in the round.  And there's no one sitting across the table from you, they are across the opening in the middle of the circle with 10 on each side of the circle.  The food was beautifully presented but nothing like what was in the video.  But what they did with the visuals is very similar.

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Princess should limit their 360 experience for who they want and not charge people who will only see the glass half full. Their playground, their rules. Invitation only weeds out the complainers who want their money back or look for the bad in everything. 

Princess then will be the most generous cruise line ever.  And being invited means no one will complain?  Okay...

Just now, Kay S said:

Princess then will be the most generous cruise line ever.  And being invited means no one will complain?  Okay...

Not really. Like Vegas comps shows and experiences. Theaters comp influencers. Companies give free product to promote online. Vendors comp customers. The list goes on. Princess is a hotel comping their BEST guests. We're all for it!  We're gonna book a full suite next time we're on Discovery to experience this dinner event. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

360 sounds very much like a continuation of John Padgett's influence from his Disney years...

That startedwithamouse.  🤣 It was smart of him to bring his fan club with him.  😜

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, gvre said:

We did it last week.

It was great...we loved it. No photos allowed. We were seated at a circular table with a circular 360 degree movie screen behind us. Our tour was a visual, audio, aromatic and interactive tour of  each region of the Mediterranean that our 7 course meal originated from. Each course featured a different wine which was introduced by our host before it was served. It was very relaxing and surprising at times. We feel lucky to have been selected to experience it.”

Having done 7 Chef's Tables this experience was delight full.

Would do it again but a different region instead of Turkey, Italy and Spain

Edited by gvre
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 11:37 PM, Kay S said:

I'm having a little trouble believing this DinoRamaExtravaganza is just a free perk for the big spenders--no strings attached.  Call me a cynic, but I'm waiting for the hoopla and the celebrity name dropping to die down so that rumored $150 pp can be officially announced.  I believe our CC friend from Arizona who was told this is a revenue-generating activity and not just a marketing gimmick designed to lure suite guests (who may or may not be invited to the party--it's a gamble.)

But those of you who want to roll the dice, go for it.

I'd gladly pay the $150. We pay $95ish for chef's table currently and this is a cut far above... and we really like chef's table.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RMorningglory said:

I'd gladly pay the $150. We pay $95ish for chef's table currently and this is a cut far above... and we really like chef's table.

You have a similar experience at the St Regis in Washington DC.  The charge there is $195 per person.  This seem to be popping up in various places.  Marriott seems to be putting them in some of their higher end properties.