RCI- Deposits typically non- refundable?

nini

We have begun to consider other cruise lines and I nearly booked one on RCI for the Fall of 2023. I stopped because it was a $500.00 Non- Refundable deposit.

Is thus typical of this cruise line, or is it for select itineraries?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, nini said:

We have begun to consider other cruise lines and I nearly booked one on RCI for the Fall of 2023. I stopped because it was a $500.00 Non- Refundable deposit.

Is thus typical of this cruise line, or is it for select itineraries?

Thanks!

You can get a non-refundable booking.  When going through the booking process you need to go one step beyond entering the passenger name and info.  There you will be given the the opportunity to select a refundable deposit for a fee.  This is the same screen you select your dining time and if you want to pre-pay your gratuities.  

If you are booking a GS suite or a above there is no refundable deposits. 

Some travel agents will have access to group booking space available on some but not all itineraries. These come with as refundable automatically.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You can get a non-refundable booking.  When going through the booking process you need to go one step beyond entering the passenger name and info.  There you will be given the the opportunity to select a refundable deposit for a fee.  This is the same screen you select your dining time and if you want to pre-pay your gratuities.  

If you are booking a GS suite or a above there is no refundable deposits. 

Some travel agents will have access to group booking space available on some but not all itineraries. These come with as refundable automatically.

Thank you. I assume our TA would know about that if we decide to book.

27 minutes ago, nini said:

Thank you. I assume our TA would know about that if we decide to book.

Yes they would, when talking to your TA just make sure that they know you want a refundable deposit and you will have no issues.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Gracias,  I managed to get back into mine and fix it before I was locked out.

@Tree_skier, unrelated question--this is about your upcoming sailings in your signature.  For Harmony, are you sure it's 2/16 in 2024 and not 2/18?  Curious because I'm on Harmony that departs 2/18/24.  

26 minutes ago, rockmom said:

@Tree_skier, unrelated question--this is about your upcoming sailings in your signature.  For Harmony, are you sure it's 2/16 in 2024 and not 2/18?  Curious because I'm on Harmony that departs 2/18/24.  

Thank you and good catch,  a comma was in the wrong place and made it all look wrong.  Fixed it. Also,  Voyager on 2/16 has actually changed to Adventure.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SRF said:

Also, only $100 per person is non-refundable.  Not the entire deposit.

That is incorrect...It is 100.00 change fee per person if you change/move the cruises to a different cruise.. If you cancel outright, you lose the full deposit (250.00) per person..

Hm, it seems that is a recent change.

[quote]Beginning with reservations made on or after June 1, 2022, if a guest were to cancel their non-refundable fare, the full deposit amount will be withheld by the cruise line. [/quote]

Edited by SRF

I tend to go to Next Cruise and book a trip I am interested in for a $200 deposit fee. I do not have to pay for anything else until 90 days before the cruise. I get a $100 onboard credit and the room of my choice. I then transfer it to my travel agent where I get another OBC. If the cruise price goes down, I call and have it immediately adjusted. There is travel insurance available that covers pre-existing conditions with the only caveat being that it must be purchased before final cruise payment.

The end result, I can cancel my cruise at any time up to about 95 days before my cruise and only be out $200. That would be the price of rebooking another cruise (change fee). I say 95-days because I will purchase the insurance, then make final payment about two days prior to the deadline.

My gratuities (please do not discuss that in this thread, it has been thoroughly discussed in other threads) are charged only after I am onboard. I do not pay for parking unless I physically arrive at the port and successfully take my cruise.

I only have $200 in play until three months before the cruise.

At ninety-days out, most cruisers are fairly confident that their cruise will take place. If something comes up after that, use the insurance for coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Hm, it seems that is a recent change.

[quote]Beginning with reservations made on or after June 1, 2022, if a guest were to cancel their non-refundable fare, the full deposit amount will be withheld by the cruise line. [/quote]

You can still change ship and sail date for a $100pp fee. 

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The whole concept of a deposit is to make it non refundable as enticement to pay your final bill. Not just in cruising, but in everything

Not exactly.

The NRD came about because people were booking 3 - 4 - 5 or more cruises, then watching price drops and picking one and cancelling the others just before final payment.  Leaving them with lots of open cabins.

So the NRD was instituted to have people only book cruises that they expect to actually take

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not exactly.

The NRD came about because people were booking 3 - 4 - 5 or more cruises, then watching price drops and picking one and cancelling the others just before final payment.  Leaving them with lots of open cabins.

So the NRD was instituted to have people only book cruises that they expect to actually take

If that had been the only reason then they would have eliminated the refundable option.

15 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

The refundable pricing is confusing to me.

I checked a random Junior Suite in 2023 cruise.  $500 deposit.  But to convert it to refundable they had a $1300 up charge.

Why would I pay $1300 more when I could just lose $500?

Because if you change your mind and cancel you lose nothing.

Many people book  a couple years out and dont know when school breaks will be, whether they get approved for vacation etc.  Once those details get confirmed they switch to a nrd rate.