Should Silversea be concerned about Crystal?

commodoredave

Manfredi Lefebvre d’Ovidio, the founder and former owner of Silversea and a driving force behind the new Crystal, has now poached former Silversea executives Fabio Agostini, Kim Berman, Fernando Delgado Vintimilla and Fernando Barroso de Oliveira while promoting Camille Drevillon, also a Silversea veteran. Is d'Ovidio trying to recreate the old Silversea, would you be tempted to give it a try, and should execs at Silversea be concerned? 

1 minute ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I for one just don't like the old Crystal ships. I only cruise on Moon, Dawn, Nova and Ray for now.

I agree that Silversea has the advantage when it comes to ships. But will Silversea be able to maintain the course when it comes to people and culture, especially when losing so many key execs and bringing on so many new ships?

There's always a culture clash when a company is bought out by a larger corporation.  RCG will restock Silversea with new executives who are onboard with its policies.  I am sure that Silversea will end up being well-run, according those those policies.  But I am not sure I will like those new policies.  If Silversea ships start getting EDGE-ified, my upcoming cruise will be one and done.

• Haha 1

I have cruised on Crystal - once, and once was enough - and my answer is I don't think so. 

Never mind the personnel, think about those old ships with those grotty little cabins with the cramped narrow bathrooms ... makes me shudder to remember it. 

I'm so sold on the SS Muse class now, I don't think I could even go back to the little girls - Shadow and Whisper - and I don't expedition so at least I don't have to worry about the Silver Sewage.

Manfredi would have to build something new and remarkable, and smaller than the current Crystal ships, for me to even think about it.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Their advertising  says they are going to retrofit the two ships and that means fewer cabins and larger ones. But I don't see their doing much with those claustrophobic bathrooms even in the higher-priced cabins. Or making the newly designed cabins SS, Oceania,  or SB size. Their service was excellent as was food. I'm sure they will get back to that level, but the ships are old and used to sail with twice the passenger count of SS. I for one will miss Fernando on our March cruise. But there is just so much these former SS staff now with Crystal can do.

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There's always a culture clash when a company is bought out by a larger corporation.  RCG will restock Silversea with new executives who are onboard with its policies.  I am sure that Silversea will end up being well-run, according those those policies.  But I am not sure I will like those new policies.  If Silversea ships start getting EDGE-ified, my upcoming cruise will be one and done.

Really, they are not particularly well run at present and all RCG has done so far is degrade the product.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brittany12 said:

Their advertising  says they are going to retrofit the two ships and that means fewer cabins and larger ones. But I don't see their doing much with those claustrophobic bathrooms even in the higher-priced cabins. Or making the newly designed cabins SS, Oceania,  or SB size. Their service was excellent as was food. I'm sure they will get back to that level, but the ships are old and used to sail with twice the passenger count of SS. I for one will miss Fernando on our March cruise. But there is just so much these former SS staff now with Crystal can do.

They did a retrofit of some of the cabins BEFORE covid and they were the same size as the penthouse.

The bathrooms were very large and beautiful and the walk in closet was head and shoulders above what we were in on Whisper which is the only one I can compare to. Plus there was a lot more storage

What Crystal had that SS doesn't is first and foremost, staff who ANTICIPATES rather than reacts only when asked. Additionally, it was everything else; computer classes, golf lessons, knitting classes, art classes, photo classes, dance lessons, 3 lectures a day on sea days, a movie theater where the movie was shown 2x a day (in the afternoon and at night and changed daily and more. And definitely better entertainment.

• Like 4

We sailed on Crystal only once, but were very happy. It was the only line that had a perfect combination of food, service, entertainment and enrichment program. We don't care much about the cabin size since we don't spend much time in the cabin, but the relatively small size of the entry cabins also meant that those entry cabins were significantly cheaper than entry level cabins on SS or SB. Of course if the cabin is important, it's a different story. To us, 205 sqft was more than adequate. The ship was very well maintained, and you couldn't really feel its age. The ships are larger, but passenger to space ratios were excellent, almost as high as SS.

To me, it really depends what they will charge for those entry level cabins, but being able to sail on a 6 star ship for less than $400 USD per day would be huge. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We sailed on Crystal only once, but were very happy. It was the only line that had a perfect combination of food, service, entertainment and enrichment program. We don't care much about the cabin size since we don't spend much time in the cabin, but the relatively small size of the entry cabins also meant that those entry cabins were significantly cheaper than entry level cabins on SS or SB. Of course if the cabin is important, it's a different story. To us, 205 sqft was more than adequate. The ship was very well maintained, and you couldn't really feel its age. The ships are larger, but passenger to space ratios were excellent, almost as high as SS.

To me, it really depends what they will charge for those entry level cabins, but being able to sail on a 6 star ship for less than $400 USD per day would be huge. 

I've read this type of comment on the Crystal board when comparisons are made to other luxury lines. And having sailed with Crystal three times, I would not disagree. I think another important factor is that SS has moved to include shorex, and is pushing D2D (flights, hotels and transfers) on people. If Crystal does not include some or all of these "extras", and their service/culture is exceptional, they may steal people away from SS who don't want everything included.

• Like 12

On 11/8/2022 at 12:10 AM, ak1004 said:

We sailed on Crystal only once, but were very happy.... being able to sail on a 6 star ship for less than $400 USD per day would be huge. 

We only sailed once on Crystal, but I LOVED it! Huge dance floor and a good dance combo, plus dance hosts - although my husband loves to dance, it was fun taking a turn around the room with a 'professional' 🙂    We also love the nice wide promenade, although on our cruise to Alaska no lounges were put out on it like on HAL and Celebrity. I DO hope Crystal can sail again as I would like to try another cruise on the Serenity - even in a 'cramped cabin' 🙂 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, kh76sp said:

We only sailed once on Crystal, but I LOVED it! Huge dance floor and a good dance combo, plus dance hosts - although my husband loves to dance, it was fun taking a turn around the room with a 'professional' 🙂    We also love the nice wide promenade, although on our cruise to Alaska no lounges were put out on it like on HAL and Celebrity. I DO hope Crystal can sail again as I would like to try another cruise on the Serenity - even in a 'cramped cabin' 🙂 

FWIW, there were never loungers put out on the promenade.  It was used as a walking venue, and for standing to look out.  Loungers would intrude on that "promenade".

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, kh76sp said:

I DO hope Crystal can sail again as I would like to try another cruise on the Serenity - even in a 'cramped cabin' 🙂 

Us too. And I could never understand those comments about cramped cabins.. What people do in their cabins that they need more than 210 sqft?? We come to a cruise not to spend time in our cabins.. those are for sleep and shower (and couple more activities that I won't mention here..)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Loungers would intrude on that "promenade".

Well, that is a shame because there is nothing more relaxing than reclining on a lounger,  facing the sea,  listening to the sound of a  bow wake.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Us too. And I could never understand those comments about cramped cabins.. What people do in their cabins that they need more than 210 sqft?? We come to a cruise not to spend time in our cabins.. those are for sleep and shower (and couple more activities that I won't mention here..)

My cabin is my retreat, not just a place to sleep and shower.  I love to socialize – up to a point, but then I want my own private space to read or surf or whatever and not feel cramped.  I also want a table for room service breakfast, if I choose.  And being able to walk between the end of the bed and the far wall – without turning sideways – is a luxury worth paying for!  Does that help you understand?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My cabin is my retreat, not just a place to sleep and shower.  I love to socialize – up to a point, but then I want my own private space to read or surf or whatever and not feel cramped.  I also want a table for room service breakfast, if I choose.  And being able to walk between the end of the bed and the far wall – without turning sideways – is a luxury worth paying for!  Does that help you understand?

Everyone has their own preferences I guess.. but a 210 sqft cabin has plenty of room between the bed and the far wall. Personally the cabin is my last priority when booking a cruise - I would prefer the smallest cabin on Oceania or Azamara (or Crystal when it's back) over a suite on Celebrity. But then again, to each their own. 

I would agree that Azamara 160 sqft cabins can be called cramped, but definitely not Crystal. Smaller than SS - obviously. Not cramped.

To me my retreat is my house. Not my cruise ship cabin. If I want to be alone, plenty of places besides the cabin. The pool, the library, the spa etc.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

To me my retreat is my house. Not my cruise ship cabin. If I want to be alone, plenty of places besides the cabin. The pool, the library, the spa etc.

You don't get it – public places have a dress code.  [Not pajamas.  Brooks Brothers pajamas, but still pajamas...]

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

55 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I sure understand.  Crystal claimed  to be a luxury line yet subjected pax to those tiny cabins…not a luxury experience. I sailed Crystal exactly once and was underwhelmed but will concede the entertainment was pretty great and really the best aspect of the line.

Luxury means different things to different people. To me, there are three main pillars that define a cruise experience:

1. Service.
  2. Food
  3. Entertainment/enrichment programs.

Crystal was the only line that exceeded in all three those pillars. This is why it had such huge following, and this is why many of Crystal fans didn't really care about those "tiny" 210 sqft cabins. This is why it was always ranked among the top 3 cruise lines, despite the "tiny" cabins. And this is why SS and other luxury lines should be concerned. 

• Like 6

I do admire your arguing skills ak1004.  But you do not speak for me. I value service, food, fellow passengers, itineraries, price and, to a lesser extent, entertainment. But I also seriously value a decent size cabin. I have not sailed on old Crystal but have on Seabourn, Regent and Silversea and in reality, I do not think there is significant differences between those three I have great trips on all of them. In earlier days I sailed on lines with small cabins. I was put off Crystal by the size of the base cabins and will continue to be put off if that does not change. We are all different.

• Like 4

We sailed on Crystal once. The cabin was badly designed, especially the bathroom and closet. The safe was in the center of 2 sliding closet doors, which could not be opened all the way because of the safe, and its door kept hitting them when it was left ajar. The food was very good, I agree. As was our service at dinner. What concerned us the most was the large size of the ship, which dictated where it could tender and dock. We felt like we were part of a mob scene leaving the ship on arrival at every port, and the ship was too big to dock in locations close to several of the cities we visited. We spent 2+ hours on a bus getting from the ship into Bangkok, and when we finally got there, we saw a lovely small Silversea ship docked right there. Same with the location of the dock in Saigon. It was in a commercial port far away from the city, while smaller ships were able to dock much closer. To each his own, I know, but for us, we prefer to cruise on Silversea and Seabourn.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I sure understand.  Crystal claimed  to be a luxury line yet subjected pax to those tiny cabins…not a luxury experience. I sailed Crystal exactly once and was underwhelmed but will concede the entertainment was pretty great and really the best aspect of the line.

Different strokes for different folks. I had 40 plus cruises on Crystal (and hope that the new Crystal will be close enough to the old Crystal that I can have more) and not once was I ever "subjected" to anything negative. I have a Silversea coming up in a few weeks and am hoping for the best, although I know that entertainment and lectures, as an example, will fall far short of Crystal.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Different strokes for different folks. I had 40 plus cruises on Crystal (and hope that the new Crystal will be close enough to the old Crystal that I can have more) and not once was I ever "subjected" to anything negative. I have a Silversea coming up in a few weeks and am hoping for the best, although I know that entertainment and lectures, as an example, will fall far short of Crystal.

It's better to be rich, young and handsome than broke, old and ugly.. Obviously I would prefer to have Oceania food, Crystal entertainment and enrichment and SS cabins (and pay Royal Caribbean prices..) but in reality we have to prioritize. And lets be real.. Crystal cabins are not as spacious as SS but 99% of people would find them perfectly adequate and definitely wouldn't call them tiny and cramped. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2