when is a bottle of wine not a bottle of wine?

vicky3vicky

2 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

We are sailing the Panorama on saturday. I know we are allowed to each bring a bottle of wine onboard. None of us like wine. What is a type of wine I could bring that doesn't taste 'winey," if such a thing exists?

I believe there are some wine based cocktails like margarita and such that are acceptable as wine.

• Like 1

🤣 Here ya go.  Technically wine, unlike Boone's Farm (which is just as sweet and disgusting but technically a malt beverage), Arbor Mist doesn't taste like wine.  It tastes like fruity, sugary stuff.  It comes in several flavours.

Massy Stores on Twitter: "Arbor Mist is now available at #MassyStores for  only $110, save $8! Try Arbor Mist fruity 🍷wines, any time with these fun  flavours 🥂Raspberry Pink Moscato 🥭Mango Strawberry

Edited by ShakyBeef
typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

🤣 Here ya go.  Technically wine, unlike Boone's Farm (which is just as sweet and disgusting but technically a malt beverage), Arbor Mist doesn't taste like wine.  It tastes like fruity, sugary stuff.  It comes in several flavours.

Massy Stores on Twitter: "Arbor Mist is now available at #MassyStores for  only $110, save $8! Try Arbor Mist fruity 🍷wines, any time with these fun  flavours 🥂Raspberry Pink Moscato 🥭Mango Strawberry

I don’t care for wine, but I keep Arbor Mist on hand to mix with ginger ale and ice.  I take a bottle of their blackberry Merlot on cruises to enjoy while I am drying my hair and putting on makeup. 

To keep this in perspective, I had one Cruiser on the Mardi Gras, made from three kinds of fruit juice and three kinds of alcohol that I mistakenly thought would be 1/3 shot of each.  I don’t know how Gary got me to the cabin, but I woke up the next morning still wearing my formal night dress (although the strapless bra was on the floor), makeup smeared all over the pillowcase, and various body parts of towel animals underneath me or scattered randomly on the floor.  Arbor Mist is the best bet for some of us!

• Haha 9

30 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I don’t care for wine, but I keep Arbor Mist on hand to mix with ginger ale and ice.  I take a bottle of their blackberry Merlot on cruises to enjoy while I am drying my hair and putting on makeup. 

To keep this in perspective, I had one Cruiser on the Mardi Gras, made from three kinds of fruit juice and three kinds of alcohol that I mistakenly thought would be 1/3 shot of each.  I don’t know how Gary got me to the cabin, but I woke up the next morning still wearing my formal night dress (although the strapless bra was on the floor), makeup smeared all over the pillowcase, and various body parts of towel animals underneath me or scattered randomly on the floor.  Arbor Mist is the best bet for some of us!

I love that story!  I've read it before in a PP of yours on some other thread, laughed then, and laughed again reading it just now.🤣

Although I called Arbor Mist disgusting, I was just expressing my opinion on the taste of it to my particular palate.  I apologize if it came out as a harsh judgement or in anyway a judgment of you and all other Arbor Mist fans.  I did not mean any offense.

Confession time: about 20 years ago, I LOVED Arbor Mist and my BFF and I would get excited to try each new flavour that we discovered.  Sometimes we even got decidedly tipsy on that stuff.  My tastes have changed a lot since then and I no longer like sugary, syrupy drinks.  Also, I'm KETO, so I couldn't drink them even if I wanted to.  Now, I love a good pinot noir, every time.🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Island Dog said:

I believe there are some wine based cocktails like margarita and such that are acceptable as wine.

I do believe there was a thread saying they were not allowing those. I’ll see if I can find to confirm. 

10 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Champagne?

Not even a joke, I argued with security in Galveston because they weren’t going to let me take my champagne on. They said it wasn’t wine. 
she ended up checking with a supervisor and I was eventually allowed. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I love that story!  I've read it before in a PP of yours on some other thread, laughed then, and laughed again reading it just now.🤣

Although I called Arbor Mist disgusting, I was just expressing my opinion on the taste of it to my particular palate.  I apologize if it came out as a harsh judgement or in anyway a judgment of you and all other Arbor Mist fans.  I did not mean any offense.

Confession time: about 20 years ago, I LOVED Arbor Mist and my BFF and I would get excited to try each new flavour that we discovered.  Sometimes we even got decidedly tipsy on that stuff.  My tastes have changed a lot since then and I no longer like sugary, syrupy drinks.  Also, I'm KETO, so I couldn't drink them even if I wanted to.  Now, I love a good pinot noir, every time.🙂

I am not offended at all!  I have absolutely no taste when it comes to wine and I admit it!   I was 69 when I  drank that Cruiser, so I don’t anticipate ever living long enough to become  a wine connoisseur. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Grab a 750ml bottle of Capriccio Bubbly Sangria.  The bottle has a black plastic wrap on it with little pieces of fruit printed on it.  It's 13.9% ABV.  Pour 1/2 a glass, over ice, and fill it the rest of the way with the lemonade on Lido.  It's delicious.  You can also grab pieces of fruit off the buffet and drop it in if you want to sweeten it up a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Island Dog said:

These are probably a little less sweet and less like wine.

image.png

That's  what my wife drinks, and was planning to take a bottle on board on our Dream cruise last Sept. 26, but alas someone DID try to take it on board just before our sailing and they announced that it was confiscated at port check in. So we didn't even attempt it. 

If you can find a decent selection near you, you can also try mead.
This seems to be a growing market and there are many good types to try.

My favorites right now are a red currant mead and one made with aronia berries.

My wife loves the pumpkin mead.