Do you change time zones on the Solstice Mexican Rivera (need to let the tour know what time to pick us up)?

NutsAboutGolf

11 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Look up “summer time” 😄

Mexico abolished Daylight Savings Time.  So LA & Northern Baja on Pacific Time.  Cabo and the coast south to just north of Puerto Vallarta on Mountain time.  South of there on Central time.  The ship will use local time so not an issue.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

21 minutes ago, go.without.you said:

Don't forget about Daylight Savings if you are cruising between November and March. The rest of the world doesn't do it. Probably because it's stupid. You cannot change my mind.

It's Standard Time between November and March. I think it should stay that way year-round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go.without.you said:

Don't forget about Daylight Savings if you are cruising between November and March. The rest of the world doesn't do it. Probably because it's stupid. You cannot change my mind.

The rest of the world doesn’t do it - except for pretty much all of Europe, several Caribbean countries, and scattered countries elsewhere.

Edited by Mark_K
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Puerta Vallarta is in the Central Time Zone, so I would expect that the ship would also change time zones. Your local shore excursion vendors should be aware of the ship arrival times, so check with them.

We're joining a land based tour, the vendor asked us to find out when we arrive...lol

29 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We're joining a land based tour, the vendor asked us to find out when we arrive...lol

Sorry, not for me. You want to do business with cruise passengers, learn to read the schedule and set up meeting times and places.

I would not trust any vendor who wanted me to do all of the legwork - especially not trust them to get me to the ship on time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I never save them but in the boarding day Celebrity Today, under the itinerary list,  not only are tender ports marked, evening chick nights designated, but the time zone changes are also noted.

Everyone should look forward to those "evening 'chick' nights."

3 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Mexico abolished Daylight Savings Time.  So LA & Northern Baja on Pacific Time.  Cabo and the coast south to just north of Puerto Vallarta on Mountain time.  South of there on Central time.  The ship will use local time so not an issue.

Was just checking using   https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/mexico/puerto-vallarta and was surprised after DST

I was checking for our December Cruise where we don't do Ensanada, was really surprised as it was different prior to DST.

LA                                    Pacific         Current Time      4:15 PM

Cabo San Lucas           Mountain     Current Time      5:15 PM

Puerto Vallarta             Central         Current Time       6:15 PM

Mazatlan                       Central         Current Time       6:15 PM

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Was just checking using   https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/mexico/puerto-vallarta and was surprised after DST

I was checking for our December Cruise where we don't do Ensanada, was really surprised as it was different prior to DST.

LA                                    Pacific         Current Time      4:15 PM

Cabo San Lucas           Mountain     Current Time      5:15 PM

Puerto Vallarta             Central         Current Time       6:15 PM

Mazatlan                       Central         Current Time       6:15 PM

Thanks for posting, I also wanted to confirm that ship time will mirror local time which is usually the case but not always

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

23 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks for posting, I also wanted to confirm that ship time will mirror local time which is usually the case but not always

All of the Solstice cruises to the Mexican Rivera  this season that I've followed have indicated they used  local time.

• Thanks 1

I have sailed Princess far more than Celebrity on the Mexican Riviera sailings.  The answer for Princess is a definite "It depends."  The Captain gets to decide if the ship will be on local time or not.  

Based on the recent trip reports for Solstice, it appears that the ship has been adjusting ship's time to local time.  That avoids a lot of confusion for passengers who might ask locals "what time is it?"  In Puerto Vallarta on one cruise, we had an "all aboard" of 6:00 p.m.  The ship did not change its time to local time, and a lot of passengers returned to the ship at 6:00 p.m. PV local time -- But that was an hour early, not an hour late, so there was no disaster!!  Just some unhappy passengers who cheated themselves out of an hour ashore.

Mexico (used to?) change from Daylight Savings Time about a week earlier than the US did, so that further complicated matters for November cruises.

I agree with Written on Heart that the tour provider should know the arrival time of any ship that calls at the port with regularity, and should know how to look up the arrival time on the port's website.  

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm going to get political here, who can I vote for that will permanently lock us in the US into DST the soonest?

In the US, it has bipartisan support: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-approves-bill-that-would-make-daylight-savings-time-permanent-2023-2022-03-15/

However,  locking us into Standard Time is far more logical. 

7 hours ago, go.without.you said:

That is inaccurate. Mexico certainly does do it just as the U.S. does.