Covid exposure before cruise

My family has a cruise booked for next Tuesday. Today I was advised that 4 of the 6 kids my son was at a party with have tested positive for Covid. I tested my son and he is negative. I know that if he or any of us becomes positive we will clearly not be going and I have travel insurance that will cover that. My question is what if he is still negative? I am assuming we will not be allowed to board? Will RCCL offer a future cruise credit? I know we could be less than truthful on the form but I think that would be awful to do to my fellow passengers and have no intention of doing it. Any thoughts as to what will happen?

TIA!

Unless you are going to Bermuda, testing is no longer required.  But, I would advise you to test him again on Sunday.  If he is still negative, you are well within RCCL's policy.  Depending on how long ago the party was, you might want to continue testing him on the ship, too.  

If it was one of my grandchildren, I would have the child wear a mask on elevators, and around a crowd of people anywhere on the ship.  

Your judgement call about Adventure Ocean.

• Like 1

If he tests positive then you get full refund.   If he is still negative by Sunday or Monday and you want to cancel because he was exposed I don't believe Royal will give you a FCC or a refund.     Your travel insurance may not refund you if he is testing negative unless you purchased cancel for any reason insurance and I have no idea on their rules.

Most people that contract the virus show positive within 3 to 5 days of exposure.   

2 hours ago, Sunseekers93 said:

My family has a cruise booked for next Tuesday. Today I was advised that 4 of the 6 kids my son was at a party with have tested positive for Covid. I tested my son and he is negative. I know that if he or any of us becomes positive we will clearly not be going and I have travel insurance that will cover that. My question is what if he is still negative? I am assuming we will not be allowed to board? Will RCCL offer a future cruise credit? I know we could be less than truthful on the form but I think that would be awful to do to my fellow passengers and have no intention of doing it. Any thoughts as to what will happen?

TIA!

Assume that was last weekend?   If so, and he is fine by tomorrow, I’d be feeling pretty good he is in the clear.  Also, known exposure is far from a sure thing for getting it.  He probably has immunity you aren’t even aware of from prior exposure if he is still in school.  

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

The health form no longer asks about symptoms or exposure. There are only 3 questions now, all related to vaccination status and pregnancy.

No, there is a fourth question now.  (at least, there is one on my cruise which is leaving tomorrow)

"Have you experienced any of these symptoms within the past 24 hours:  Fever, chills, muscle aches, body aches, fatigue, sore throat, nasal congestion, runny nose, cough, difficulty breathing, new loss of taste or smell, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

No, there is a fourth question now.  (at least, there is one on my cruise which is leaving tomorrow)

"Have you experienced any of these symptoms within the past 24 hours:  Fever, chills, muscle aches, body aches, fatigue, sore throat, nasal congestion, runny nose, cough, difficulty breathing, new loss of taste or smell, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?"

Oh, interesting. It changed again.

29 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Half the people boarding could answer "yes" to that question for dozens of reasons.

I live at a high elevation. When I go to sea level for a cruise, I always wake up with a sore throat and congestion.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Half the people boarding could answer "yes" to that question for dozens of reasons.

I live at a high elevation. When I go to sea level for a cruise, I always wake up with a sore throat and congestion.

Agree, same. Bet I've had at least 2+ symptoms at start of everyone of my last 50 Cruises. This question is similar to original Pre-CV one

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunseekers93 said:

TIA!

Go. Enjoy your cruise. You have done your due diligence by testing. Most of the passengers on your cruise are likely to have close contact by flying to their embarkation port. There is no evidence that anyone was positive at the party. They could have caught it before or after. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Here's Royal's COVID cancellation policy.  It looks like exposure to COVID is eligible for a refund 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

The second and third bullet points state " If you had a confirmed close contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19, or who is suspected of having COVID-19, within 10 days before embarkation and RCI deems you are unfit to travel, you are eligible for a refund of the cruise fare paid to RCI. •

If we determine that you may have been exposed to or are likely to have been infected by COVID19 within 10 days before embarkation, we may require that you and others living with you in the same household do not travel to the departure port. This is in order to prevent the transmission of COVID-19. Anyone effectively denied boarding in these circumstances will be entitled to a refund for the cruise fare paid to RCI."

Who makes this determination to cancel your cruise and refund your money?  Is it made by the person on the other end of the 800 number?   You might get a more lenient customer service representative than the next person?

It's great someone calls in and is honest about the contact, but you run a risk of a cancelled cruise.  Personally I would call to protect others, but reading this some won't. 

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Here's Royal's COVID cancellation policy.  It looks like exposure to COVID is eligible for a refund 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

That part is up to Royals discretion and since it's not a family member, not prolonged contact and how far back it was I would not count on that getting approved.

• Like 2

People are exposed all the time and don't know it so not testing all the time.. Treat it like that. In other words if someone gets sick then test. Otherwise don't sweat it. The top symptoms now are cold symptoms and serious symptoms like major shortness of breath are the least likely.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BND said:

People are exposed all the time and don't know it so not testing all the time.. Treat it like that. In other words if someone gets sick then test. Otherwise don't sweat it. The top symptoms now are cold symptoms and serious symptoms like major shortness of breath are the least likely.

Even among the 800 on that Princess ship none had it worse than a mild cold and many were asymptomatic.

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes that question was on our cruise last week as well. 

My point is the last question they ask is that over 50% of the population has one of  these conditions.

Have you experienced any of these symptoms within the past 24 hours:  Fever, chills, muscle aches, body aches, fatigue, sore throat, nasal congestion, runny nose, cough, difficulty breathing, new loss of taste or smell, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?