Tip for Room Service--After Covid, Inflation

Naismith

We usually tip $2 for room service. It used to be a dollar, but we went to two dollars about five years ago.

We get coffee and raisin buns delivered each morning at the earliest time available, and appreciate the consistent, early service.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Naismith said:

I used to know this answer on previous pre-Covid cruises before this year's high inflation.

Nowadays, what do folks consider an acceptable tip for the crew member who is delivering a room service order?

Room service tips are included as part of your daily gratuity.    While some people tip extra, the daily auto gratuity is acceptable for room service.

• Like 4

For coffee in the morning (or similar) we tip $2.  If we have a full meal delivered,

it will be $5.  Yes, I know it is not required but we are grateful for good service

when we get it, at home or on a ship.  And, after our first breakfast order arrives exactly at 7am (and we tip the crew member) it seems we get the same crew member right on time every day following.

Edited by AZNative2000
spelling
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

That is what we do also.  And we put the two bucks in the card slot by the door the night before so we are quick about it in the morning.......

Yes, nothing like fumbling around for it first thing in the morning,  before coffee. 😊

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

That is what we do also.  And we put the two bucks in the card slot by the door the night before so we are quick about it in the morning.......

What genius!  Helpful idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Every  person has their own ideas  of what is a appropriate  gratuity for in room service delivery of food  . As long as you tip it is always appreciated  by the staff . It is some what like extra tipping  before the start of the cruise for the  cabin stewards  ,a good way to get the very best in service .It gets around who are the extra tiers .These people know 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

This has been a cruise critic hack since I've been reading.  There is no card slot in the pinnacle ships.

13 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Really?

They did away with those?

Yes, there is a card slot on the Pinnacle-class ships.  Well, at least ms Rotterdam and

ms Koningsdam.  I've never been on ms Nieuw Statendam but assume it is the same.  I don't know what she (@Florida_gal_50) is talking about.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

I was on the Niew Statendam in August and there was a card slot by the door.

3 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Yes, there is a card slot on the Pinnacle ships.  Well, at least ms Rotterdam and ms Koningsdam.  I've never been on ms Nieuw Statendam but assume it is the same.  I don't know what she (@Florida_gal_50) is talking about.

I, too, have been on the Nieuw Statendam, and found a card slot by the door. It's the slot for turning the lights on/off, but it will take folded cash without keeping the lights on all night. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, AV8rix said:

Yes, there is a card slot on the Pinnacle ships.  Well, at least ms Rotterdam and ms Koningsdam.  I've never been on ms Nieuw Statendam but assume it is the same.  I don't know what she (@Florida_gal_50) is talking about.

You mean this?  You need it to keep the lights on.  There is no way you can shove a few bills in there with a card no matter how you argue.  On the non pinnacle ships there was a "basket" sort of thing on the door.  I don't know what you are talking about.  This is what it looks like on the  koningsdam.

20221113_175314.jpg

On 11/12/2022 at 7:44 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Room service tips are included as part of your daily gratuity.    While some people tip extra, the daily auto gratuity is acceptable for room service.

On 11/12/2022 at 6:26 PM, Naismith said:

Nowadays, what do folks consider an acceptable tip for the crew member who is delivering a room service order?

Since the daily gratuity has increased I would think (JMHO) that what you were tipping previously would still be fine.

• Like 1

Points to ponder -- your MDR waiter works more and longer every meal than the room service delivery person.    The MDR waiter carries heavy trays, maybe some distance, without a cart - 3 or 4 times a meal.   The room service person makes one delivery with the tray on a cart. 

The room service person is not going out his way, or providing an extra service, they are simply doing their primary job.    I'll tip above the auto tip if the person provides a service above and beyond their normal duties.   If you make extensive modifications to the breakfast hang tag menu - that is extra, because the room service waiter will typically be the person who accommodates these adjustments.     For example - if you write "Waffles" on your hang tag - then the room service person will have to go find them somewhere outside the normal spots - that is above and beyond.  

If they bring you the standard item, on time - then that is simply delivering the basic service.  

Both the MDR waiter and the room service waiter share in the auto gratuity tip pool.   

The MDR waiter probably gets a bigger share of the auto tip pool FWIW, but very few people tip the MDR waiter every day after every meal.   

However many people tip the room service delivery person extra after every "meal" (delivery).   

However, people can tip whomever they want and whenever they want and don't have to justify or explain this to me or anyone else.   

I offer this as another perspective on room service gratuities.  

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 7:53 AM, FlaMariner said:

We started tipping $3 in 2019 (oh wait...that may be the pizza delivery guy! 😁)   Seriously, we used to tip with a $2 bill until we were told that it's hard for the staff to exchange one.  Then we went to 2-$1 bills.  On our last cruise in May of 2019, we tipped $3.  If we stay in a Suite, we may tip more.

I put the money in my bathroom pocket the night before.  I am up and ready before the knock.  Open the door, the room service delivery person brings the tray in and places it on the coffee table.  I am standing at the door, open the door, and then hand him the tip from my pocket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Points to ponder -- your MDR waiter works more and longer every meal than the room service delivery person.    The MDR waiter carries heavy trays, maybe some distance, without a cart - 3 or 4 times a meal.   The room service person makes one delivery with the tray on a cart. 

The room service person is not going out his way, or providing an extra service, they are simply doing their primary job.    I'll tip above the auto tip if the person provides a service above and beyond their normal duties.   If you make extensive modifications to the breakfast hang tag menu - that is extra, because the room service waiter will typically be the person who accommodates these adjustments.     For example - if you write "Waffles" on your hang tag - then the room service person will have to go find them somewhere outside the normal spots - that is above and beyond.  

If they bring you the standard item, on time - then that is simply delivering the basic service.  

Both the MDR waiter and the room service waiter share in the auto gratuity tip pool.   

The MDR waiter probably gets a bigger share of the auto tip pool FWIW, but very few people tip the MDR waiter every day after every meal.   

However many people tip the room service delivery person extra after every "meal" (delivery).   

However, people can tip whomever they want and whenever they want and don't have to justify or explain this to me or anyone else.   

I offer this as another perspective on room service gratuities.  

You raise good points.  I will tip for room service because I want to. That said I don't get it often. I just the basic food.  Never thought of waffles.

• Like 2